IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coryphagrowers

Hola! 
Wanted to share the batch of mature seeds we started recollecting from an adult Corypha Umbraculifera 

It’s been a year since this palm fruited and now its the time when all fruits are mature and start falling to the ground. And we set ourselves on the mission to gather as much as we can. We collected one part pf the whole production, there are still a lot that have not fallen yet.

Last year we recollected from another adult palm, having a lot of success in germinating them, we tested two different kinds of soil, one was more sandy and the other one was more clay. They liked the sand way better than the other clay soil, where most of the seedlings died.

Can anyone share tips or recommendations on germinating these talipot seeds? 
Does anyone have experience shipping seeds or plants from Costa Rica? We are very new at this so any suggestion or comment would be appreciated. We have so many seeds and won’t be able to plant all of them, but want to preserve and reproduce this amazing palm.

Here some pictures:

690AFC77-85F3-4D4A-9079-D2A013F7440D.jpeg

A64830A7-AA63-43E7-9E0F-8216ED6A36ED.jpeg

D9680E33-0D99-4818-8051-FA629D347FF7.jpeg

CF9C2F0F-9B29-41E5-9F24-7A844CD2004A.jpeg

606C2F05-23CA-4781-B2AC-E89A5349B927.jpeg

771D864A-4703-451D-93A7-3BA6022E8537.jpeg

• Like 2

I don't have any specific germinating advice, but if I remember correctly Corypha is similar to Borassus with the super-deep first tap root.  Deep pots like the Stewe treepots are essential to getting seedlings to grow happily after the initial germination.  Others please correct me if I'm wrong! :)

Wow, lots of work collecting all of those seeds!  I also don't have experience germinating these but I can recommend cleaning the dried fruit off the seed and soaking the cleaned seed overnight prior to sowing.  That in itself is another massive undertaking with that haul!  If they are anything like Corypha utan they like lots of water.

Jon Sunder

On 2/26/2021 at 12:24 PM, Merlyn said:

I don't have any specific germinating advice, but if I remember correctly Corypha is similar to Borassus with the super-deep first tap root.  Deep pots like the Stewe treepots are essential to getting seedlings to grow happily after the initial germination.  Others please correct me if I'm wrong! :)

Thanks for your comment! Yes they also have a super deep first root

• Like 1

May be able to sell the seeds on EBAY, not sure about the international stuff for seeds but worth looking into.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

On 2/26/2021 at 1:24 PM, Fusca said:

Wow, lots of work collecting all of those seeds!  I also don't have experience germinating these but I can recommend cleaning the dried fruit off the seed and soaking the cleaned seed overnight prior to sowing.  That in itself is another massive undertaking with that haul!  If they are anything like Corypha utan they like lots of water.

Last time we didn’t take the dried fruit off, and they managed to sprout nicely when we put them over a sandy soil, and yes a lot of water at first, then when they are around one year old, they withstand the hot and dry weather very good!

On 2/26/2021 at 3:09 PM, JubaeaMan138 said:

Easy to sprout . I just sprouted a bunch . Baggie method in perlite with some heat 

AE76B0B5-1F27-4805-AAC9-E353DB64C383.jpeg

Nice! Thanks for sharing your system! 

On 2/26/2021 at 3:28 PM, Steve the palmreader said:

Are you selling the seeds ?

Yes we are very new at this, so we are investigating about the procedures or process to be able to export them. And I imagine there’s different conditions depending on each country. If you have any tips or advice it would be appreciated! 

8 minutes ago, redant said:

May be able to sell the seeds on EBAY, not sure about the international stuff for seeds but worth looking into.

Yes we are very new at this, but for sure are looking into to find the way to export them

Hello, we are in Costa Rica (half way between the beach at Dominical (south of Quepos) and San Isidro del General. CAN WE BUY SEEDS FROM YOU of the Talipot palm? 

We have the best exotic fruit collection and nursery in Costa Rica, with about 220 species. I have sold a few hundred packages of seeds on ebay and can give you good advice, especially the BEST packing system that I invented for perishable seeds. PLEASE contact me, Jesse Blenn at 8372-4113. Thanks. 

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, PalmSpring said:

Hello everyone, interesting to find out that a talipot also flowered in Costa Rica. I recently acquired seeds as well of a talipot that flowered apparently simultaneously. I have seeds available if 

0D2FCEB1-2683-4D18-AAE3-A5468B79A5BC.jpeg

E8DC8847-B127-4BB8-9CC7-1343AA434F85.jpeg

01CD4FBB-2112-4DE8-A021-ADEB87667385.jpeg

So nice! Where is that one located? Did it flowered last year? So interesting to find out who could have been the first person that introduced these talipot palms to Costa Rica

On 3/2/2021 at 12:58 AM, Jesse Blenn Costa Rica said:

Hello, we are in Costa Rica (half way between the beach at Dominical (south of Quepos) and San Isidro del General. CAN WE BUY SEEDS FROM YOU of the Talipot palm? 

We have the best exotic fruit collection and nursery in Costa Rica, with about 220 species. I have sold a few hundred packages of seeds on ebay and can give you good advice, especially the BEST packing system that I invented for perishable seeds. PLEASE contact me, Jesse Blenn at 8372-4113. Thanks. 

Hi, do you also have seeds of Chamaedorea palms for sale you can ship to Germany? Was in Costa Rica a few years ago but couldn't find so many seeds.

Thanks

Eckhard

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

• 1 month later...
On 2/27/2021 at 2:58 AM, Steve the palmreader said:

Are you selling the seeds ?

We are from Tamil Nadu, India, We have Corypha umbraculifera seeds in our temple, I would like to ask you to purchase these seeds from us. IMG20210427153637.thumb.jpg.4fce71c131afbf098c9284e1dca57b95.jpgKindly feel free to contact us at any time. We are looking forward to hearing from you.

IMG20200522140215.jpg