IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Freeze damaged Royals in Brownsville, need advice

MikeinBrownsville

New here to the forum, I'm in central Brownsville.  I want to do everything possible to try to save these Royals., hopefully it isn't a lost cause.  Ordered some copper fungicide that should be here in a few days.  Was 80 degrees here yesterday,  so I watered them some last night & they got some more water this morning from the sprinkler.  I have been trying to research what I should do and have come across some conflicting information.  Plan to saturate the crowns with the copper fungiicide 1-2x per week, once it comes from Amazon.  Otherwise do I just water and wait a few months? Pretty sure I fertilized them in September or October.  Appreciate any thoughts or advice 

IMG_5238.jpg

IMG_5239.jpg

IMG_5240.jpg

IMG_5241 (1).jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Mark the newest spear with a sharpie to assure yourself the palm is still pushing new growth. No more fertilizer until growth has resumed.

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona

16142772029511756872854118165524.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

55 minutes ago, MikeinBrownsville said:

New here to the forum, I'm in central Brownsville.  I want to do everything possible to try to save these Royals., hopefully it isn't a lost cause.  Ordered some copper fungicide that should be here in a few days.  Was 80 degrees here yesterday,  so I watered them some last night & they got some more water this morning from the sprinkler.  I have been trying to research what I should do and have come across some conflicting information.  Plan to saturate the crowns with the copper fungiicide 1-2x per week, once it comes from Amazon.  Otherwise do I just water and wait a few months? Pretty sure I fertilized them in September or October.  Appreciate any thoughts or advice 

IMG_5238.jpg

IMG_5239.jpg

IMG_5240.jpg

IMG_5241 (1).jpg

2/3 look rather good. Not sure why someone would say no to fertilizer if they are established well rooted plants ( where it will be in the 80-100s rest of year). I say Do that copper fungicide plus use a Professional water soluble fertilizer that will be absorbed fast to push new growth, use it Weekly, Your soil temperatures probably rebounding into the mid 60 will do it. You can try giving them different treatments to see what works. A soil drench of fungicide miticide etc.. would be absorbed if alive. Bayer 3 in 1. 

....curious what the palms in background are. 

D8A812E6-F379-4CEF-A119-2AC9554003A4.jpeg

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Upvote 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

10 minutes ago, aztropic said:

Mark the newest spear with a sharpie to assure yourself the palm is still pushing new growth. No more fertilizer until growth has resumed.

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona

16142772029511756872854118165524.jpg

Did you mark the newly formed leaves or did you mark the spear? The spear would be better since that is its growing point. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

queen, Bismarckia, pixels???, royals 

• Like 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Not kidding at all, your royals look great compared to many others in the RGV. Looks like they have a chance at recovery!

Welcome to palmtalk :)

• Like 3

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

50 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

2/3 look rather good. Not sure why someone would say no to fertilizer if they are established well rooted plants ( where it will be in the 80-100s rest of year). I say Do that copper fungicide plus use a Professional water soluble fertilizer that will be absorbed fast to push new growth, use it Weekly, Your soil temperatures probably rebounding into the mid 60 will do it. You can try giving them different treatments to see what works. A soil drench of fungicide miticide etc.. would be absorbed if alive. Bayer 3 in 1. 

I see some green on the petiole and rachis of the palm leaves. To me that looks promising. In 2010 my Royals look that way but some green on the leaflets closest to the rachis. We would know more by examining the bud. It might takes some time at first to grow out of it.  I am not expert on copper fungicide. That would probably not hurt since the trees are in some shock and  their defenses are down that would allow fungal infection. If I was you, I would kill the grass around them about 3 or 4 feet from the trunk.  Week later add mulch and fertilizer with some irrigation and they will back in business looking good for you in about 6 months to a year. Once you noticed some growth and no threat of any freezes you can cut off the dead leaves except its spear.  If you have some green leaflets you can leave them on to get photosynthesis. It is your judgement call and it is cosmetic to take the dead leaves off, they are not hurting anything. I forgot to mention not to go hog wild on the fertilizer. I would fertilizer lightly until you noticed some good growth. Once that happens you can fertilize based upon manufacturer's guidelines. 

Edited by DavidLee
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Xenon said:

Not kidding at all, your royals look great compared to many others in the RGV. Looks like they have a chance at recovery!

If those are queens then some queens didn’t even burn. I’d say this location did not go below 23-24F. Have to be the warmest part of state. 
Oh yes, I just read central Brownsville! It was the warmest. 

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

14 minutes ago, Xenon said:

I think Queens and Silver Bismarkia on the left in the photo. Center looks like a King palm and a date palm on the far right of the photo. If that is King palm, it performed really well in that freeze.  The date palm look like a Coconut. I can really tell. It just cant be a coconut without any damage.

• Like 1

This is a very bad photo from Jan 25, 2011.  Foreground is a roasted Satakentia liukiuensis, with a second one visible at far right.  The slightly damaged palm to the rear is a king palm, Archontophoenix tuckeri, and the nice green leaves to its rear are Archontophoenix cunninghamiana (which had to be removed due to a boron deficiency, but another is thriving).   Our low temperature was 26.  

Satakentia liukiuensis Jan 25 2011 freeze damage.jpg

• Like 1

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

1 hour ago, MikeinBrownsville said:

Mike, welcome to the forum! Little did you know the hornets next you have walked in to. There has been much discussion about the fate of the Royals in the RGV.  Overall I agree with above comments, having been roasted they look pretty good and you have already done some research.  Yes to copper fungicide, in the meantime you could also pour some hydrogen peroxide down the crown while you wait for the fungicide.  Also yes to marking the newest spear so see when it budges, good luck and please keep us updated!

• Like 3

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

26 minutes ago, DavidLee said:

I think Queens and Silver Bismarkia on the left in the photo. Center looks like a King palm and a date palm on the far right of the photo. If that is King palm, it performed really well in that freeze.  The date palm look like a Coconut. I can really tell. It just cant be a coconut without any damage.

Far right is 100% royals 

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

23 minutes ago, Xenon said:

Far right is 100% royals 

OK, the background is kind of blurry to me. I can see that is a royal by looking at the original photo . They weathered the freeze well too. There is a lot of green in the leaves.  Maybe the retention pond helped. Hey I being saying all this time, most of the Royals will likely survive in Brownsville. Probably depends on location too and other factors. Galveston I am not sure about. Maybe some survivors. It seems like the Gulf didnt help out at all.  I hope we dont get a freeze like that in Florida. We can have a killing freeze with everything line up just right. That is what happened in 1989. Usually South Florida coastal horseshoe and Southern rim of Lake O will escape. Everywhere else we will be out cutting down trees with chainsaws that died from a freeze.  A lot of recent arrivals to Florida dont get that. The freeze in Texas worries me that we can reach our extremes too. Hopefully never. 

Edited by DavidLee
  • Like 1

@MikeinBrownsville welcome!

So sorry to hear about what happened in Texas, but gotta move on.

I'm not an expert in damaged royals, but there's many here who are, and we'll both have a chance to learn from them.

Hope your plants survive and thrive.

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

1 hour ago, Dave-Vero said:

This is a very bad photo from Jan 25, 2011.  Foreground is a roasted Satakentia liukiuensis, with a second one visible at far right.  The slightly damaged palm to the rear is a king palm, Archontophoenix tuckeri, and the nice green leaves to its rear are Archontophoenix cunninghamiana (which had to be removed due to a boron deficiency, but another is thriving).   Our low temperature was 26.  

Satakentia liukiuensis Jan 25 2011 freeze damage.jpg

Were the Satakentias killed by this event?

• Upvote 1

The Satakentias took a while to build new leaves.  Here they are in today's late afternoon sun.  They both dropped their last leaves a week ago, Tues.  Crownshaft color varies with time since the last leaf fell and maybe temperature.  It's not constant.

Satakentia liukiuensis Feb 25 2021.jpg

Edited by Dave-Vero
comment on leaves and crownshaft
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Dave-Vero said:

The Satakentias took a while to build new leaves.  Here they are in today's late afternoon sun.  They both dropped their last leaves a week ago, Tues.  Crownshaft color varies with time since the last leaf fell and maybe temperature.  It's not constant.

Satakentia liukiuensis Feb 25 2021.jpg

They look great! I’m glad they made it. These are beautiful palms that I have yet to grow. I had some seedlings that were looking quite nice but damped off. ☹️

• Upvote 2

Thanks to everyone for the advice! Think I have a good plan now, this forum/site is fantastic.   Attaching better pictures of the palms across the resaca from me for those who were interested.  Going down to UT-RGV this weekend and will post pictures of the Royals from there soon.  

IMG_5268.jpg

IMG_5269.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Mike, your pictures are greatly appreciated by those of us interested in the severity of damage in south Texas.  I do not have experience about recovery of palms from freezing, but I think your pictures actually are quite encouraging.

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

6 hours ago, MikeinBrownsville said:

Going down to UT-RGV this weekend and will post pictures of the Royals from there soon.  

Hi Mike, if you get the chance you should check out the various courtyards/nooks on the UT RGV campus. There are some big solitaire palms and areca palms in one of the big courtyards and some more hidden treasures as well 

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

On 2/25/2021 at 12:34 PM, MikeinBrownsville said:

IMG_5238.jpg

IMG_5239.jpg

IMG_5240.jpg

IMG_5241 (1).jpg

The good news is, those should live.  Good aftercare is important, plenty of water and fertilizer come spring (and thereafter).

-Michael

On 2/25/2021 at 1:21 PM, Collectorpalms said:

D8A812E6-F379-4CEF-A119-2AC9554003A4.jpeg

My guess is, from left to right: Syagrus romanzoffiana, Bismarckia nobilis, (unknown, to small to tell in photo) and Roystonea regia.

-Michael

Palms in general are always working on the next leaf and recycling nutrients from the oldest leaf.  The normal fertilizing strategy is to use slow release fertilizer.  But considering that R. regia is all over the place in Cuba, different soils, different rainfall, obviously thanks to Cubans liking the species.  It's not a fussy palm, but has limited cold tolerance.  Its limited 20th century natural range in Florida contrasts with Bartram definitely having described it from a specific spot on the St. Johns River, where it might have been cultivated, or at least planted, by the Seminole as a food crop for pigs.  Up there, devastating freezes periodically took out tender plants.  

• Upvote 2

On 2/25/2021 at 9:34 AM, MikeinBrownsville said:

IMG_5238.jpg

IMG_5239.jpg

IMG_5240.jpg

IMG_5241 (1).jpg

I see green petioles.

What's the status on the spear?

Screenshot_20210226-231924_Chrome.jpg

• Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

FYI, we just bought some copper fungicide at Harlingen's Home Depot, if you don't want to wait on Amazon. They had both the spray bottle and the concentrate in stock.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/26/2021 at 12:08 PM, MikeinBrownsville said:

Thanks to everyone for the advice! Think I have a good plan now, this forum/site is fantastic.   Attaching better pictures of the palms across the resaca from me for those who were interested.  Going down to UT-RGV this weekend and will post pictures of the Royals from there soon.  

IMG_5268.jpg

IMG_5269.jpg

Based on the queen in the background, I think your royals have an excellent chance.

• Upvote 1

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

By any chance, do you know what temperature your location got to? 

Those royals look like they have a chance.  Water and fertilize the heck out of them and keep your fingers crossed. 

Brevard County, Fl

On 2/25/2021 at 12:34 PM, MikeinBrownsville said:

IMG_5238.jpg

IMG_5239.jpg

IMG_5240.jpg

IMG_5241 (1).jpg

I believe your royals will be fine. In December of 2010 I had 10 nights below 40 degrees, six nights below 30 degrees, and three nights below 25 degrees, the lowest being 20.7 degrees F. My small royal was fried,  yet it came back fine. The first photo below was taken at the end of December 2010. The second photo below was taken in August of 2019.  I don't have a more recent photo, but my palm is taller and totally healthy.

Royal palm 12-29-2010.jpg

Royal palm alt 8-23-19.jpg

Thermometer reading (20.8)  12-28-10.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

Mad about palms

Mike I thought I would share this with you. Palm Professionals in Houston seemed to know what they are talking about. I found their Youtube  video on another forum. Maybe it will be helpful if you havnt seen it.

• Like 2

Good luck with your Royals!  I agree with almost all of the advice here, except for cutting off the old fronds.  The petioles are still green, and green = photosynthesis = nutrients = new growth.  When there's no leaves to photosynthesize the palm is left with a combination of "eating" the old fronds for nutrients (including the petioles) and photosynthesizing with whatever is left that's exposed to the sun and still green.  If you chop off those remaining fronds you'll deprive it of both possible food sources. 

So don't chop them off unless the stems are brown and squishy.  If that's the case (as happens in a lot of severe freeze damage with crown collapse) then the risk of fungal rot is really high.  But if the petioles are green and stay that way, leave them until you've got one or two nice new green leaves grown out!

• Upvote 1

This royal growing between Donna and Alamo was one of the fastest to come back from 2011, it looks like it’s going to try and do it again. Being on the south side of the building doesn’t hurt.

4892E4EC-5E8B-46AC-817C-63E47E86ABE0.jpeg

CB8150A7-2132-4261-9703-00420F735CAA.jpeg

67CE64B2-BB56-4F45-9376-3928204A0B3F.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Xenon said:

@MikeinBrownsville How are your royals doing? 

Agree that updates would be very interesting, if you have the time Mike.

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

On 2/25/2021 at 11:34 AM, DavidLee said:

Did you mark the newly formed leaves or did you mark the spear? The spear would be better since that is its growing point. 

This is about 3 weeks of growth on the Pseudophoenix viniferea used for demonstration. Making a couple marks will give you confidence that your palm is still alive and growing.

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20210311_130625397.jpg

• Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

On 3/9/2021 at 3:16 AM, richtrav said:

This royal growing between Donna and Alamo was one of the fastest to come back from 2011, it looks like it’s going to try and do it again. Being on the south side of the building doesn’t hurt.

4892E4EC-5E8B-46AC-817C-63E47E86ABE0.jpeg

CB8150A7-2132-4261-9703-00420F735CAA.jpeg

67CE64B2-BB56-4F45-9376-3928204A0B3F.jpeg

The one on the right appears to have died. The one on the left probably survived because it’s meristem was below the top of the building and not exposed to the frigid winds. 

Is this the only confirmed surviving royal so far?

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

1 hour ago, RedRabbit said:

The one on the right appears to have died. The one on the left probably survived because it’s meristem was below the top of the building and not exposed to the frigid winds. 

Is this the only confirmed surviving royal so far?

On 3/10/2021 at 11:36 PM, richtrav said:

Down but not out

Royals Pt Isabel.jpg

On 3/11/2021 at 1:22 PM, richtrav said:

That was in Port Isabel, but I’ve also seen ones pushing green fronds in Bayview, South Padre, Hidalgo and Donna. All the coconuts I’ve seen look pretty bad, can’t tell if they’re going to make it or not. 

• Like 2

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)