IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Areca Palm (Dypsis lutescens) dry leaves =>please help rescue the palms.

Palmer12

Hello everyone

thank you for contributing.

I have issues with Areca Palms (Dypsis lutescens)

Dry leaves lead to the death of the palms. 

I have observed dry leaves, as a result I changed the location of the palms and put them more in the direct sun in front of the large balcony door. 

I spray the palms daily 2 times like water and water them 1 time a week. 

But the dry leaves do not want to go away.

Please find the pictures attached and help me with your expertise to save these beautiful Areca palms.

Best Regards,

E.Gudz

www.confectix.com 

DSC02159.JPG

DSC02160.JPG

DSC02161.JPG

DSC02162.JPG

DSC02163.JPG

DSC02164.JPG

Welcome to the forum!

The recent extreme cold weather event caused your post to get buried due to the large number of event related posts.  Otherwise you'd probably have gotten responses earlier.

9 hours ago, Palmer12 said:

But the dry leaves do not want to go away.

Once a leaf (or part of one) has dried out the dried leaf or part will not become green again. You can remove the dead fronds and trim off sections that are dried out.

Dypsis lutescens are self shedding. As the plant grows it will use the nutrients from the lower leaves which will then dry out and fall off on their own. You'll see that if you gently pull the bottom dry leaves they'll come away from the plant easily if they're ready. 

There can be various reasons why parts of upper leaves dry out. Need more info for people to offer possibilities. I see that it's indoor currently.   All year or just seasonally?  Location in the world? Are you running heat or AC? Recently got the plants or have had a while? Have had other Dypsis lutescens or are new to palms?

I'm colorblind so not much help on the mottled look or what appears to possibly be powdery mildew. In person I can usually tell whats going on but have a tough time with pics.