ahosey01

NIP or Cook Pine Texas Freezes

ahosey01

Hey guys,

Any preliminary damage reports on Cook Pines or NIPs in Texas? Or any Araucaria species for that matter!? I think I saw @Xenon had posted a photo of a bunya in the Houston area pre-freeze, but I couldn’t find it when I went back to look.

Xenon

From what I've heard, they are mostly ok in the lower Rio Grande Valley. From moderate dieback to the tops in more inland areas to minor to slight/no damage in Brownsville and at the coast. I would assume they are dead everywhere else....such a shame as some of the Cook pines in Galveston date to the 90s. 

I will check on the bunya growing in west Houston (low was 11F) this weekend. There is another bunya 3-4x the size growing in downtown that saw 14F. I'm curious to see how they fared too 

Xenon
On 2/14/2021 at 9:12 AM, Xenon said:

20210214_083136.thumb.jpg.390379a3e8d6e19d133ee1f3c886cc0d.jpg

necturus

Wow, Jonathan. Hope that one is okay. 

Like I've mentioned on here before, there's a big one at Mercer Botanical Garden. Hard to get a picture which captures its size and shape, but I did manage to find one shot I took this summer.

I'll go visit it soon and see how it looks.

IMG-8927.JPG

Xenon

Big one in town got bulldozed sometime in the past few months.

Here's another one in town that saw 14F

20210226_145922.thumb.jpg.f9c86017a3a4dfe87a03cd1282ebe8ef.jpg

20210226_145908.thumb.jpg.f56067879970cbab3be455d85ec675f8.jpg

Here's the one in Katy that saw 12F. Morbidly beautiful 

20210226_155312.thumb.jpg.546313607a2030aeadd6cc344a32a7cb.jpg

The inner parts (inner 2-3 feet) of both trees still have a lot of green and partial green. Seems like they are both alive but will have mishaped crowns (assuming they aren't removed soon). 

Edited by Xenon
  • Like 1

Benjamin D.

Anyone know how A. angustifolia did? In Houston and elsewhere in the state?

Xenon
12 minutes ago, Benjamin D. said:

Anyone know how A. angustifolia did? In Houston and elsewhere in the state?

I don't know of any specimens or anyone growing it in TX. I was under the impression it was not adaptable to a lowland tropical type summer like we have in coastal TX. 

Benjamin D.

I know there is one in the SFA arboretum. And one or two nurseries grow it and have been selling seedlings 

Xenon
22 minutes ago, Benjamin D. said:

I know there is one in the SFA arboretum. And one or two nurseries grow it and have been selling seedlings 

I just remembered there is something labelled Araucaria angustifolia (or araucana?) at Moody Gardens in Galveston. It's clearly different from all of the A. columnaris..maybe A. cunninghamii?

It's behind the queen palm in this shot 

20210213_091802.thumb.jpg.c46741fe79cb0c6cb069bbb1e70cfcf3.jpg

Edited by Xenon

Matthew92

A. Angustifiolia is much more cold hardy. To zone 7 I think and does well in the Southeast US. Apparently there's a sizeable tree at the Atlanta Botanical Garden. It's high on my list of tropical/exotic looking trees that are hardy for zone 8 Northwest FL. 

Araucaria araucana is the one that is more well known but doesn't do well in the sultry South/Southeast US. It looks very similar to A. Angustifolia, but doesn't get as much of an "exaggerated" candelabra shape when older.