IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

NIP or Cook Pine Texas Freezes

ahosey01

Hey guys,

Any preliminary damage reports on Cook Pines or NIPs in Texas? Or any Araucaria species for that matter!? I think I saw @Xenon had posted a photo of a bunya in the Houston area pre-freeze, but I couldn’t find it when I went back to look.

• Like 1

From what I've heard, they are mostly ok in the lower Rio Grande Valley. From moderate dieback to the tops in more inland areas to minor to slight/no damage in Brownsville and at the coast. I would assume they are dead everywhere else....such a shame as some of the Cook pines in Galveston date to the 90s. 

I will check on the bunya growing in west Houston (low was 11F) this weekend. There is another bunya 3-4x the size growing in downtown that saw 14F. I'm curious to see how they fared too 

• Like 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Wow, Jonathan. Hope that one is okay. 

Like I've mentioned on here before, there's a big one at Mercer Botanical Garden. Hard to get a picture which captures its size and shape, but I did manage to find one shot I took this summer.

I'll go visit it soon and see how it looks.

IMG-8927.JPG

• Like 1

Big one in town got bulldozed sometime in the past few months.

Here's another one in town that saw 14F

20210226_145922.thumb.jpg.f9c86017a3a4dfe87a03cd1282ebe8ef.jpg

20210226_145908.thumb.jpg.f56067879970cbab3be455d85ec675f8.jpg

Here's the one in Katy that saw 12F. Morbidly beautiful 

20210226_155312.thumb.jpg.546313607a2030aeadd6cc344a32a7cb.jpg

The inner parts (inner 2-3 feet) of both trees still have a lot of green and partial green. Seems like they are both alive but will have mishaped crowns (assuming they aren't removed soon). 

Edited by Xenon
  • Like 3

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

12 minutes ago, Benjamin D. said:

Anyone know how A. angustifolia did? In Houston and elsewhere in the state?

I don't know of any specimens or anyone growing it in TX. I was under the impression it was not adaptable to a lowland tropical type summer like we have in coastal TX. 

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

22 minutes ago, Benjamin D. said:

I know there is one in the SFA arboretum. And one or two nurseries grow it and have been selling seedlings 

I just remembered there is something labelled Araucaria angustifolia (or araucana?) at Moody Gardens in Galveston. It's clearly different from all of the A. columnaris..maybe A. cunninghamii?

It's behind the queen palm in this shot 

20210213_091802.thumb.jpg.c46741fe79cb0c6cb069bbb1e70cfcf3.jpg

Edited by Xenon
  • Like 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

A. Angustifiolia is much more cold hardy. To zone 7 I think and does well in the Southeast US. Apparently there's a sizeable tree at the Atlanta Botanical Garden. It's high on my list of tropical/exotic looking trees that are hardy for zone 8 Northwest FL. 

Araucaria araucana is the one that is more well known but doesn't do well in the sultry South/Southeast US. It looks very similar to A. Angustifolia, but doesn't get as much of an "exaggerated" candelabra shape when older.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 2/26/2021 at 3:23 PM, Xenon said:

The inner parts (inner 2-3 feet) of both trees still have a lot of green and partial green. Seems like they are both alive but will have mishaped crowns (assuming they aren't removed soon). 

Any recent pics of this?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ahosey01 said:

Any recent pics of this?

Dead dead dead 

Araucaria columnaris in the far southernmost point in TX (only Brownsville and the adjacent coast) are all over the place, many are alive to some degree but look ragged. The best looking ones lost maybe 20% of their canopy. All dead for the most part further inland towards McAllen. 

Edited by Xenon
  • Like 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

On 2/26/2021 at 5:23 PM, Xenon said:

Are these A. bidwilli? (Bunya pine from QLD Australia.) They are more well suited to humid climates than the S American species, I've seen a few in FL. No idea of the cold hardiness, would be interesting to see if there are any survivors in TX.

3 hours ago, aabell said:

Are these A. bidwilli? (Bunya pine from QLD Australia.) They are more well suited to humid climates than the S American species, I've seen a few in FL. No idea of the cold hardiness, would be interesting to see if there are any survivors in TX.

A. bidwilli had withstood brief dips into the upper teens in the Houston Area without major injury. I don't know of any large specimens elsewhere in the state. 

I've been told A. bidwilli eventually declines in far southern Texas (too hot? pathogen?). 

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

1 hour ago, Xenon said:

A. bidwilli had withstood brief dips into the upper teens in the Houston Area without major injury. I don't know of any large specimens elsewhere in the state. 

I've been told A. bidwilli eventually declines in far southern Texas (too hot? pathogen?). 

I am growing one currently here in AZ.  I expect I'll dip down to 13F-15F whenever we get a record-level freeze event.  One day we will have some hard data on this!

On 11/21/2022 at 9:31 AM, Xenon said:

Apparently the one in Weslaco was just cut down around 2016 because, well, because. A. cunninghamii would be worth trying here if there was a source for it in the US.

12102013696araucaria bidwillii.jpg

dead bidwillii.jpg

• Like 1