IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cincinnati Palms post arctic outbreak

donofriojim1

Here is a small update on some of my palms that I have been growing here in Cincinnati ( zone 6b) WITHOUT any protection whatsoever. Unlike parts of Texas that saw below zero temperatures, We in Cincinnati experienced a low of 3 degrees Fahrenheit.  These are just some of my palms as of yesterday now that the thaw has begun. The large needle palm was a palm that I salvaged from a restaurant along the Ohio river just outside of downtown Cincinnati last September that had been growing in a median in the parking lot totally unprotected and fully exposed to the elements since 2009. I will be posting more updates on my other palms and exotica later.

large needle palm.jpg

sabal minor mc curtain.jpg

small needle palm 1.jpg

small needle palm 2.jpg

small mc curtain.jpg

• Like 5

Looking pretty good.  Check those spears in a while but I think you're pretty good.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, ColumbusPalm said:

Do you use the straw to mulch in the fall? 

My needles, sabal minors, and sabal Louisiana are all completely unprotected as are most of the others around Cincinnati.

1 hour ago, donofriojim1 said:

My needles, sabal minors, and sabal Louisiana are all completely unprotected as are most of the others around Cincinnati.

About 100 miles south of you...we saw 3 degrees on February 17th and the 20th. All my unprotected sabal minors and needles have no burn or spear pull.

In several previous years, my well established but unprotected minors survived, but showed progressive burn when exposed to ultimate lows from zero to -12 degrees F. My needle had only tip burn at -12F!

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, ky_palm064 said:

About 100 miles south of you...we saw 3 degrees on February 17th and the 20th. All my unprotected sabal minors and needles have no burn or spear pull.

In several previous years, my well established but unprotected minors survived, but showed progressive burn when exposed to ultimate lows from zero to -12 degrees F. My needle had only tip burn at -12F!

They are tough!

• Like 1