donofriojim1

Cincinnati Palms post arctic outbreak

donofriojim1

Here is a small update on some of my palms that I have been growing here in Cincinnati ( zone 6b) WITHOUT any protection whatsoever. Unlike parts of Texas that saw below zero temperatures, We in Cincinnati experienced a low of 3 degrees Fahrenheit.  These are just some of my palms as of yesterday now that the thaw has begun. The large needle palm was a palm that I salvaged from a restaurant along the Ohio river just outside of downtown Cincinnati last September that had been growing in a median in the parking lot totally unprotected and fully exposed to the elements since 2009. I will be posting more updates on my other palms and exotica later.

large needle palm.jpg

sabal minor mc curtain.jpg

small needle palm 1.jpg

small needle palm 2.jpg

small mc curtain.jpg

• Like 5

Allen

Looking pretty good.  Check those spears in a while but I think you're pretty good.

ColumbusPalm

Do you use the straw to mulch in the fall? 

donofriojim1
2 minutes ago, ColumbusPalm said:

Do you use the straw to mulch in the fall? 

My needles, sabal minors, and sabal Louisiana are all completely unprotected as are most of the others around Cincinnati.

ky_palm064
1 hour ago, donofriojim1 said:

My needles, sabal minors, and sabal Louisiana are all completely unprotected as are most of the others around Cincinnati.

About 100 miles south of you...we saw 3 degrees on February 17th and the 20th. All my unprotected sabal minors and needles have no burn or spear pull.

In several previous years, my well established but unprotected minors survived, but showed progressive burn when exposed to ultimate lows from zero to -12 degrees F. My needle had only tip burn at -12F!

• Upvote 1

donofriojim1
37 minutes ago, ky_palm064 said:

About 100 miles south of you...we saw 3 degrees on February 17th and the 20th. All my unprotected sabal minors and needles have no burn or spear pull.

In several previous years, my well established but unprotected minors survived, but showed progressive burn when exposed to ultimate lows from zero to -12 degrees F. My needle had only tip burn at -12F!

They are tough!

• Like 1