IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What palms to pick up from Miami Beach?

Pee Dee Palms

I will be going to Miami Beach in late March. I live in Myrtle Beach South Carolina and want some type of palm tree that you don't see around here often. I noticed that Miami is a sweet spot for rare palms. So I was wondering if anybody knows about any palms that aren't much talked about that are suitable for an 8B climate? I know their are a lot of nurseries down there. Any good nurseries down there?

I don't live in Miami but I think you will find nurseries there sell plants for the zone z10/11 climate. People in SFL generally aren't interested in zone 8 palms. You would do better to visit nurseries in Central or North FL, i.e., Orlando and north. I'm not telling you it is absolutely impossible to find a zone 8 palm in Miami but that you will have to do a lot of searching and maybe travel before you do. The selection of palms for a zone 8 climate is sparse so you are basically looking for Butias, Sabals, Trachies, Chamaerops, a Chamaedorea or two and the like. If you are willing to make the effort to protect them, some zone 9 palms may work for you but you will have to work for them. I hope you have gotten a palm book or two to study and take with you.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Lytocaryum weddellianum could be a good choice. It's a 9b palm, but it will stay small enough for you to easily protect it. 

• Like 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

1 hour ago, RedRabbit said:

Lytocaryum weddellianum could be a good choice. It's a 9b palm, but it will stay small enough for you to easily protect it. 

Do you know anybody selling these mail order? All I've seen was Jungle Music. I bought 2 already, but he only has tiny ones. I'd like a bigger one. 

29 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Do you know anybody selling these mail order? All I've seen was Jungle Music. I bought 2 already, but he only has tiny ones. I'd like a bigger one. 

Unfortunately I don’t. They aren’t that rare so I’m sure they’re available in person in SFL, but I have no clue on mail order. If you find a good source let me know. :)

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

5 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

Unfortunately I don’t. They aren’t that rare so I’m sure they’re available in person in SFL, but I have no clue on mail order. If you find a good source let me know. :)

I'm in TX in a small town in the middle of nowhere :crying:

My babies from Phil are pretty nice and growing like little green rockets though. 

Message_1612316659033.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Looks like I am a little late posting for your trip, but I would recommend swinging by EarthWorksJax in Jacksonville, FL if you are ever driving to S Florida again.  Extremely knowledgeable staff too.

Edited by D Palm

Definitly I would look for a Mule palm. Livestona Chinensis, Brahea, Sabal Causiarum, Sabal Uresana also see if you can find some copernicias that are cold hardy. I would try a Bismarckia with some protection for some zone pushing if you live close to the ocean as well. 

Maybe contact "thepalmfather" on youtube he probably has contacts in south Florida for "rare palms" and he can give some good suggestions to. Send him a message on Youtube.