IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Should I go ahead with fertilizing?

JLM

Looking at the forecast for the next 7 days, we only have one night forecasted below 40F and that is tonight, by Thursday night we are having lows in the 50's, and by the end of the week we are having lows in the 55-60F range. Looking at models for the next 16 days, it doesnt appear that we will have many more nights below 40F (1-3 nights), so far none of these nights appear to have much potential for us to fall below freezing. My Queens have been slowly growing throughout the winter, but im beginning to notice a little uptick in growth lately, even before the 24F night. I personally dont think winter is over yet, but would it be a good idea to fertilize around March 1st? I dont want to rush anything.

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

I usually wait until March.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

• 3 weeks later...

I am fertilizing tomorrow after i finish yard work. I mowed the back yard for the second time this year today, finishing up everything tomorrow then ill fertilize everything. Now i do have a question though, ive got this really dead looking Pygmy Date that i stuck in the ground last week so it wuld hopefully recover, it seems a little more firm in the ground now than it did last week after planting. I spear marked various palms, including my Majesties, my Bottle, and the one Pygmy Date. The Bottle palm is really the only one that has showed any amount of progress since yesterday when i marked it, which surprised me. But the questioned Pygmy Date has not moved and the spear(s) are completely brown. Hoping for the best, but luckily its small so it wont be too much of a pain to take out if needed.
As for temperatures, highs in the 70's, maybe lower 80's tomorrow and Saturday, then the rain moves in bringing highs down into the low-mid 70's. Lowest forecasted night in the next 7 days is tonight (54F), otherwise looking at mid 50's to mid 60's over the next 7 days. Not going to rule out the possibility for severe storms sometime between Monday and Thursday.

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa