Coconut Carol

Home Depot and Lowe's Coconut Palm Trees

Coconut Carol

Does anyone know which variety of Coconut Palm Home Depot and Lowe's sells?

Palmaceae
17 minutes ago, Coconut Carol said:

They are usually Green Malayan.

• Like 2

Coconut Carol
12 minutes ago, Palmaceae said:

Thank you!

Mr. Coconut Palm
2 hours ago, Coconut Carol said:

Usually Green Malayan and Golden Malayan Dwarfs.

• Like 1

Coconut Carol

Would there be a difference on the UPC code if it was a tall compared to a dwarf? 

aztropic
3 hours ago, Coconut Carol said:

Would there be a difference on the UPC code if it was a tall compared to a dwarf? 

No.

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona

Johnny Palmseed

I doubt most of the people who work there would even know there are different varieties. Even the ones who order are relying on the supplier to tell them what they have. The tags are occasionally wrong anyway. Sometimes you can get a deal if you know what you are looking for.

• Like 3

NickJames

I’ve only seen green and Golden Malayan dwarf. I personally have a golden Malayan dwarf from HD. 

• Like 2

chinandega81

Why do Home Depot and Lowe's basically use the same supplier or grower? There is minimal difference in their inventory and they both get "new plants" at the exact same time. Some unpopular staples NEVER go away, like queen palms. People in South Florida generally don't like them or want them for a myriad of reasons...yet they only sell COCONUTS for a brief period in the late summer. I would think that these major chains could easily dictate to the growers what they want. Is it just a matter of no one caring and the growers trying to unload the cheapest plants they have or what they turn the most profit on?

I also noice Areca palms are rare nowadays at these stores. It's only cat palms. It's too bad bc they can't take the sun like the arecas. And arecas certainly aren't hard to grow and they always sell through that inventory fast when they get them.

I don't know who their supplier is, but they seem very out of touch. They always have an over abundance of citrus as well which obviously doesn't do well with the greening disease here. There are a lot of plants that seemeingly are sought after and not hard to grow, yet they only sell some random generic plantings. 

My observations are from SE Florida. Perhaps the stores in the rest of FL are different?

• Like 1

Coconut Carol
4 hours ago, aztropic said:

No.

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona

I found this. Not a UPC code but ***ITEM NUMBER***

"The Home Depot dwarfs are item number H8478hp and the "talls" are H8407"

Coconut Carol
10 hours ago, Palmaceae said:

Thank you. 

Coconut Carol
2 hours ago, NickJames said:

I’ve only seen green and Golden Malayan dwarf. I personally have a golden Malayan dwarf from HD. 

Awesome. Thanks for the info!

IHB1979
1 hour ago, chinandega81 said:

There are a lot of plants that seemeingly are sought after and not hard to grow, yet they only sell some random generic plantings. 

Our box store here has a decent selection of palms, crotons, TI plants and bromiliads. If I want something unique I go to the nursery. I imagine you have access to pretty amazing nurseries in SE FL.

Gonzer
19 hours ago, Coconut Carol said:

The kind people return after they've croaked.

Johnny Palmseed
11 hours ago, chinandega81 said:

Why do Home Depot and Lowe's basically use the same supplier or grower? There is minimal difference in their inventory and they both get "new plants" at the exact same time. Some unpopular staples NEVER go away, like queen palms. People in South Florida generally don't like them or want them for a myriad of reasons...yet they only sell COCONUTS for a brief period in the late summer. I would think that these major chains could easily dictate to the growers what they want. Is it just a matter of no one caring and the growers trying to unload the cheapest plants they have or what they turn the most profit on?

I also noice Areca palms are rare nowadays at these stores. It's only cat palms. It's too bad bc they can't take the sun like the arecas. And arecas certainly aren't hard to grow and they always sell through that inventory fast when they get them.

I don't know who their supplier is, but they seem very out of touch. They always have an over abundance of citrus as well which obviously doesn't do well with the greening disease here. There are a lot of plants that seemeingly are sought after and not hard to grow, yet they only sell some random generic plantings. 

My observations are from SE Florida. Perhaps the stores in the rest of FL are different?

I would think it’s more up to the supplier to determine what and how much they want to grow/sell. Also, you have to remember that most people are not “Palm People” and are usually asking for the same general stock. HD/Lowe’s have the 1 year guarantee as well and so they will not want to sell risky plants. That’s why you won’t see Areca Vestiaria or Cyrtostachys Renda in the garden center unless you’re in Hawaii.

Mr. Coconut Palm
23 hours ago, Coconut Carol said:

They probably wouldn't be selling Talls, since they are more susceptible to Lethal Yellowing.  The wholesale growers have been growing certified Green, Golden, and sometimes Yellow Malayan Dwarfs, and certified Maypan Hybrids for decades, because these varieties are more resistant to Lethal Yellowing.

John

Mr. Coconut Palm
16 hours ago, chinandega81 said:

It is a somewhat similar situation here in South Texas, and especially in the Rio Grande Valley.  This is particularly a problem with the lack of Coconut Palms sold by the nurseries, even a lack of them sold by the locally owned nurseries.  Before the Big Freeze last week, there was a LOT of desire for Coconut Palms, but the RGV nurseries, locally owned and Big Box Stores alike would rarely have them.  Between the once in a generation freezes like we had last week, there is so much in the way of tropical trees and plants that can be successfully grown in the RGV, including mature producing Coconut Palms, yet they are not grown by the wholesale growers there, or offered for sale by the retail nurseries, and relatively little variety of other palms and other tropical trees.

John

Mr. Coconut Palm
15 hours ago, Coconut Carol said:

I found this. Not a UPC code but ***ITEM NUMBER***

"The Home Depot dwarfs are item number H8478hp and the "talls" are H8407"

So, they DO sell Talls over there?

• Like 1

Coconut Carol
7 minutes ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

So, they DO sell Talls over there?

Yes,  I noticed the coconut palms I bought a couple years ago from Home Depot look different between my Malayan Green Dwarfs.  

Very noticeable difference. 

• Like 1

Mr. Coconut Palm
10 hours ago, Coconut Carol said:

Yes,  I noticed the coconut palms I bought a couple years ago from Home Depot look different between my Malayan Green Dwarfs.  

Very noticeable difference. 

Okay.  Nice to know that.  I wish I could get some Talls sent over here to me.

John

• Like 1