IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Home Depot and Lowe's Coconut Palm Trees

Coconut Carl

17 minutes ago, Coconut Carol said:

Does anyone know which variety of Coconut Palm Home Depot and Lowe's sells?

They are usually Green Malayan.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

2 hours ago, Coconut Carol said:

Usually Green Malayan and Golden Malayan Dwarfs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Coconut Carol said:

Would there be a difference on the UPC code if it was a tall compared to a dwarf? 

No.

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

I doubt most of the people who work there would even know there are different varieties. Even the ones who order are relying on the supplier to tell them what they have. The tags are occasionally wrong anyway. Sometimes you can get a deal if you know what you are looking for.

• Like 3

Why do Home Depot and Lowe's basically use the same supplier or grower? There is minimal difference in their inventory and they both get "new plants" at the exact same time. Some unpopular staples NEVER go away, like queen palms. People in South Florida generally don't like them or want them for a myriad of reasons...yet they only sell COCONUTS for a brief period in the late summer. I would think that these major chains could easily dictate to the growers what they want. Is it just a matter of no one caring and the growers trying to unload the cheapest plants they have or what they turn the most profit on?

I also noice Areca palms are rare nowadays at these stores. It's only cat palms. It's too bad bc they can't take the sun like the arecas. And arecas certainly aren't hard to grow and they always sell through that inventory fast when they get them.

I don't know who their supplier is, but they seem very out of touch. They always have an over abundance of citrus as well which obviously doesn't do well with the greening disease here. There are a lot of plants that seemeingly are sought after and not hard to grow, yet they only sell some random generic plantings. 

My observations are from SE Florida. Perhaps the stores in the rest of FL are different?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aztropic said:

No.

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona

I found this. Not a UPC code but ***ITEM NUMBER***

"The Home Depot dwarfs are item number H8478hp and the "talls" are H8407"

2 hours ago, NickJames said:

I’ve only seen green and Golden Malayan dwarf. I personally have a golden Malayan dwarf from HD. 

Awesome. Thanks for the info!

1 hour ago, chinandega81 said:

There are a lot of plants that seemeingly are sought after and not hard to grow, yet they only sell some random generic plantings. 

Our box store here has a decent selection of palms, crotons, TI plants and bromiliads. If I want something unique I go to the nursery. I imagine you have access to pretty amazing nurseries in SE FL.

19 hours ago, Coconut Carol said:

The kind people return after they've croaked.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, chinandega81 said:

Why do Home Depot and Lowe's basically use the same supplier or grower? There is minimal difference in their inventory and they both get "new plants" at the exact same time. Some unpopular staples NEVER go away, like queen palms. People in South Florida generally don't like them or want them for a myriad of reasons...yet they only sell COCONUTS for a brief period in the late summer. I would think that these major chains could easily dictate to the growers what they want. Is it just a matter of no one caring and the growers trying to unload the cheapest plants they have or what they turn the most profit on?

I also noice Areca palms are rare nowadays at these stores. It's only cat palms. It's too bad bc they can't take the sun like the arecas. And arecas certainly aren't hard to grow and they always sell through that inventory fast when they get them.

I don't know who their supplier is, but they seem very out of touch. They always have an over abundance of citrus as well which obviously doesn't do well with the greening disease here. There are a lot of plants that seemeingly are sought after and not hard to grow, yet they only sell some random generic plantings. 

My observations are from SE Florida. Perhaps the stores in the rest of FL are different?

I would think it’s more up to the supplier to determine what and how much they want to grow/sell. Also, you have to remember that most people are not “Palm People” and are usually asking for the same general stock. HD/Lowe’s have the 1 year guarantee as well and so they will not want to sell risky plants. That’s why you won’t see Areca Vestiaria or Cyrtostachys Renda in the garden center unless you’re in Hawaii.

23 hours ago, Coconut Carol said:

Would there be a difference on the UPC code if it was a tall compared to a dwarf? 

They probably wouldn't be selling Talls, since they are more susceptible to Lethal Yellowing.  The wholesale growers have been growing certified Green, Golden, and sometimes Yellow Malayan Dwarfs, and certified Maypan Hybrids for decades, because these varieties are more resistant to Lethal Yellowing.

John

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, chinandega81 said:

It is a somewhat similar situation here in South Texas, and especially in the Rio Grande Valley.  This is particularly a problem with the lack of Coconut Palms sold by the nurseries, even a lack of them sold by the locally owned nurseries.  Before the Big Freeze last week, there was a LOT of desire for Coconut Palms, but the RGV nurseries, locally owned and Big Box Stores alike would rarely have them.  Between the once in a generation freezes like we had last week, there is so much in the way of tropical trees and plants that can be successfully grown in the RGV, including mature producing Coconut Palms, yet they are not grown by the wholesale growers there, or offered for sale by the retail nurseries, and relatively little variety of other palms and other tropical trees.

John

15 hours ago, Coconut Carol said:

I found this. Not a UPC code but ***ITEM NUMBER***

"The Home Depot dwarfs are item number H8478hp and the "talls" are H8407"

So, they DO sell Talls over there?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

So, they DO sell Talls over there?

Yes,  I noticed the coconut palms I bought a couple years ago from Home Depot look different between my Malayan Green Dwarfs.  

Very noticeable difference. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Coconut Carol said:

Yes,  I noticed the coconut palms I bought a couple years ago from Home Depot look different between my Malayan Green Dwarfs.  

Okay.  Nice to know that.  I wish I could get some Talls sent over here to me.

John

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

The coconuts HD and Lowes sell are from Costa ranches in FL. From my interchanges with them they say its the Green Malayan assortment (overshadow in that it proves to be fruitful at a more youthful age (2'- 3' of dim bark) however will get 40'- 80' tall). Any thought regarding the "best" planting distances for them?

Edited by tomdav

I think plating them close will give them the curved trunk most people desire. My bigger concern would be falling coconuts from 70-80 feet down the road.  Plant at a distance that if the palm tree blew down, it wouldn't damage any structures either.

6 hours ago, tomdav said:

The coconuts HD and Lowes sell are from Costa ranches in FL. From my interchanges with them they say its the Green Malayan assortment (overshadow in that it proves to be fruitful at a more youthful age (2'- 3' of dim bark) however will get 40'- 80' tall). Any thought regarding the "best" planting distances for them?

On 2/23/2021 at 11:32 AM, Coconut Carol said:

It may be that the "Talls" they are selling are Maypan Hybrids, which are certified to sell to the public, like the Malayan Dwarfs are.

• Upvote 1

I wish they would Pop in Cali. I picked one up 3 years ago at the the HD in La Mirada but the Santa Ana's got it. I want to try again. I was inspired by the Carona Coco.  I do not care what variety it is. 

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

• 8 months later...

I bought this Coconut Palm from HomeDepot and can't tell what kind of coconut it is. Can any one figure this out? I tried googling the code on the bottom of the tag, but no luck. I am hoping is a Dwarf variety. Second question I have..... I have the front area that gets full sun, but the soil is less wet than the back of the house. The back of the house has more water in the soil but partial sun, but as the plant gets taller it will get more sun. Not sure which scenario will help the plant grow faster than produce coconuts sooner. I was hoping the backyard, because I have porch roof I can stand on to get the coconuts when it gets taller.

IMG_20220416_155851.jpg

IMG_20220416_155856.jpg

IMG_20220416_160013.jpg

• Upvote 1

They have them in Orlando and Port Charlotte and the attached coconuts are very small, indicating they are likely green Malayan dwarf.  Last year the sprouts were $19.99 and now that same size is $24.99.  What I am guessing are 5 gallon (plants not that large) are $59.99, no doubt this due in part do to the ongoing inflation.

I am grateful to now be living in coconut territory, found a nice, large nut that is likely a tall last week in the mangrove forest patch on the local beach.

IMG_20220411_171759627.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, idanny76 said:

I bought this Coconut Palm from HomeDepot and can't tell what kind of coconut it is. Can any one figure this out? I tried googling the code on the bottom of the tag, but no luck. I am hoping is a Dwarf variety. Second question I have..... I have the front area that gets full sun, but the soil is less wet than the back of the house. The back of the house has more water in the soil but partial sun, but as the plant gets taller it will get more sun. Not sure which scenario will help the plant grow faster than produce coconuts sooner. I was hoping the backyard, because I have porch roof I can stand on to get the coconuts when it gets taller.

Looks like a green Malayan Dwarf.  As far as siting, what is your general location (nearest large city)?

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

59 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

Looks like a green Malayan Dwarf.  As far as siting, what is your general location (nearest large city)?

Here are more pictures of the palm. I am in Sanford FL.... I emailed the grower Everde https://www.plantant.com/nursery-availability/1007460 to find out what variety it is. Hope it can handle the cold since it says on the label it can withstand up to 30 degrees. I don't think it will stand a mid to upper 30's at this stage of growth, but if I plant it now it should have grown by January of next year enough to handle the cold fronts. Should I let it grow more on the pot, move it to a larger pot or just plant it on the ground. I was watching videos that I should put salt the the bottom then compost and then plant the palm. I guess somehow the salt will help with the growth. Should I mix some Miracle-Gro Shake 'n Feed Citrus, Avocado and Mango Plant Food with the compost if I put it on the ground now?

IMG_20220416_211821.jpg

IMG_20220416_211834.jpg

Edited by idanny76
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, palmsOrl said:

They have them in Orlando and Port Charlotte and the attached coconuts are very small, indicating they are likely green Malayan dwarf.  Last year the sprouts were $19.99 and now that same size is $24.99.  What I am guessing are 5 gallon (plants not that large) are $59.99, no doubt this due in part do to the ongoing inflation.

I am grateful to now be living in coconut territory, found a nice, large nut that is likely a tall last week in the mangrove forest patch on the local beach.

IMG_20220411_171759627.jpg

I guess $25 is not bad compare to this place in Florida selling the same 3 gallon pot and same height for $79.95 https://everglades.farm/products/coconut-palm-tree-plant-malayan-dwarf-2-feet-3-gal-container-from-florida?variant=40576837583010

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, idanny76 said:

Here are more pictures of the palm. I am in Sanford FL.... I emailed the grower Everde https://www.plantant.com/nursery-availability/1007460 to find out what variety it is. Hope it can handle the cold since it says on the label it can withstand up to 30 degrees. I don't think it will stand a mid to upper 30's at this stage of growth, but if I plant it now it should have grown by January of next year enough to handle the cold fronts. Should I let it grow more on the pot, move it to a larger pot or just plant it on the ground. I was watching videos that I should put salt the the bottom then compost and then plant the palm. I guess somehow the salt will help with the growth. Should I mix some Miracle-Gro Shake 'n Feed Citrus, Avocado and Mango Plant Food with the compost if I put it on the ground now?

As far as planting them out goes, you can make a case for growing it in a pot or putting it out.  There are pros and cons to either.  You might lose it, you might not.  If you have anywhere to plant it under very high canopy where it can still get sun but not get hit with frost, that is likely your best bet.

There are two NOAA stations in Sanford.  One is right on the lake and one is at the airport.  Both of them seem to show a climate similar to what one would expect for a city bordered by a large lake to its north in east central Florida - high zone 9b to low zone 10a numbers.  Your airport has some Adonidia merrillii that are famous for surviving the nasty 2010 freeze that far north and inland. 

2022041_SanfordWeatherStations.jpg

Since the station next to the water has more complete data, here is a graph that gives you some insight into what you can expect:

2022041_SanfordClimateNormals.jpg

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

All of my green, yellow, and red coconuts survived down to 29 degrees here in Brandon, FL.

The ones close to the house were unprotected received little to no damage. They are young. 3-4 feet tall.

The one in my front yard near the street was fried,  but has come back strong.  I only put a old blanket at the base. 5-6 feet fall.

Best thing anyone can do is plant your coconuts close to your home, a fence, a shed, etc. 

Edited by Coconut Carol
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Coconut Carol said:

All of my green, yellow, and red coconuts survived down to 29 degrees here in Brandon, FL.

The ones close to the house were unprotected received little to no damage. They are young. 3-4 feet tall.

The one in my front yard near the street was fried,  but has come back strong.  I only put a old blanket at the base. 5-6 feet fall.

Best thing anyone can do is plant your coconuts close to your home, a fence, a shed, etc. 

Great advice and thanks for the information.... it does help me pick the right location. I bought another one today and will plant one in the backyard and one in the front and will see which environment will make it grow faster. Bought some compost mix with manure and will put salt at the bottom like I saw in some videos.... to give it a better environment to increase growth.

Edited by idanny76
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, idanny76 said:

Great advice and thanks for the information.... it does help me pick the right location. I bought another one today and will plant one in the backyard and one in the front and will see which environment will make it grow faster. Bought some compost mix with manure and will put salt at the bottom like I saw in some videos.... to give it a better environment to increase growth.

Yes, all tropicals period need to be planted under a canopy, next to a structure, fence, shed. Etc. I seen the difference just 20 feet away from the house. It's night and day. 

• Like 1

Just planted it and will see if in 3 years or so I will be eating some coconuts..... The coconut palm had a very vigorous root system. Here is a picture of the one in from. I planted a Barbados Cherry (Acerola) tree that was already fruiting about 4 months ago and its already fruiting. I love Barbados Cherry.... I have a Red Rose Apple tree, but the frost hit it really hard. Hopefully it will come back from the roots up.

IMG_20220418_191054.thumb.jpg.18027c90d8d315c19dfdfd84bd88a30b.jpg

IMG_20220418_164030.jpg

IMG_20220418_164037.jpg

IMG_20220418_191058.jpg

Edited by idanny76
  • Like 1

Very nice! BTW, some loses are expected.  We just try to keep it to a minimum.  

Also you must protect the crown of the coconut in extreme cold. If that goes? It will die. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Coconut Carol said:

Very nice! BTW, some loses are expected.  We just try to keep it to a minimum.  

Also you must protect the crown of the coconut in extreme cold. If that goes? It will die. 

Hopefully it will have grown much by February of 2023, when we get the frost here. I planted it between two walls L shape that should give it some protection, but I will cover it up anyways. The one in the back has fences and house on all side that will keep the wind away and reduce the frost damage.

Edited by idanny76

Just a bit to @Coconut Carol's east, some of us follow her sound advice and succeed, others succeed in spite of ourselves:

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/55422-coconuts-in-lakeland-fl/

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL

5 hours ago, idanny76 said:

Hopefully it will have grown much by February of 2023, when we get the frost here. I planted it between two walls L shape that should give it some protection, but I will cover it up anyways. The one in the back has fences and house on all side that will keep the wind away and reduce the frost damage.

Good game plan! They should do well.

5 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

Just a bit to @Coconut Carol's east, some of us follow her sound advice and succeed, others succeed in spite of ourselves:

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/55422-coconuts-in-lakeland-fl/

Looking really good! Glad you have recent updated photos, Thanks sharing! 

• Like 1