Palm_tropical

New Smyrna beach area Royal and coconut palms

Palm_tropical

I’ve came to believe that royal palms seem to be pretty reliable within 2-3 miles of the ocean in Volusia county from south Daytona all the way through new Smyrna beach Etc. There are even some tall coconut palms right on the beach at this property just north of Bethune beach in New Smyrna. I know these all made it through the freeze in 2017-2018 with some damage but they’re completely recovered with huge racks of coconuts! What’s most impressive about these larger palms is that they could rival what you’d see in south Florida! For reference I’ll post some of the royals in port orange, and the coconuts in NSB. I’ll also post my own royal palm 10 miles inland. (I know some of these plantings have been discussed prior in other threads, but these were taken about a week ago after our most recent light freeze hit the area) 

B4B444E5-5AD4-4007-B12A-90021A19E9A3.jpeg

618DCC68-136A-4BBE-93D5-6CAD51D692F6.jpeg

FDF70D63-E228-40D3-9995-25766E0EB7C0.jpeg

E6DED703-019B-467C-9FD9-A71BCF62B0C5.jpeg

F656DD5C-7CC4-4345-A77F-42F2659917BD.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Mr. Coconut Palm
1 hour ago, Palm_tropical said:

I’ve came to believe that royal palms seem to be pretty reliable within 2-3 miles of the ocean in Volusia county from south Daytona all the way through new Smyrna beach Etc. There are even some tall coconut palms right on the beach at this property just north of Bethune beach in New Smyrna. I know these all made it through the freeze in 2017-2018 with some damage but they’re completely recovered with huge racks of coconuts! What’s most impressive about these larger palms is that they could rival what you’d see in south Florida! For reference I’ll post some of the royals in port orange, and the coconuts in NSB. I’ll also post my own royal palm 10 miles inland. (I know some of these plantings have been discussed prior in other threads, but these were taken about a week ago after our most recent light freeze hit the area) 

B4B444E5-5AD4-4007-B12A-90021A19E9A3.jpeg

618DCC68-136A-4BBE-93D5-6CAD51D692F6.jpeg

FDF70D63-E228-40D3-9995-25766E0EB7C0.jpeg

E6DED703-019B-467C-9FD9-A71BCF62B0C5.jpeg

F656DD5C-7CC4-4345-A77F-42F2659917BD.jpeg

WOW!!!  Those look FANTASTIC for that far north in Florida.  That area has just a slightly milder wintertime climate than my area here in Flour Bluff (east side of Corpus Christi) on the South Texas Coast ( that is BEFORE last week's once in a generation HORRIBLE ARCTIC BLAST).

John

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1