IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Multi trunk Pritchardia?

Jan Jo

Odd question perhaps, but has anyone ever seen or grown a double (or even triple) Pritchardia? I don't think I've ever seen one. Since I'm experimenting with germination, I was thinking of trying two or three in a pot.. Would it work/look good? 

I have a large triple Washingtonia Robusta doing well and looking good, so I thought, why not? But despite searching, I can't find any examples online, nor do I remember ever seeing any... 

Just wondered if anyone else had... 

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

• Upvote 1

No but then germinating together is ( as sure u know) not same as naturally occuring, aye?

I tried to get 4 seedlings of Washy to make like a "W"  eventually in my yard so planted them many feet apart to give them some room to develop trunk's bases.

They all but one promptly died by 2nd year.  In a way kind of glad, as it would've been too much in my small yard.

• Like 2

Sorry, I did mean germinating them together. My triple Washingtonia Robusta came like that in a small pot, so presumably also germinated together, and the trunks do kind of arch away from each other.  They look quite good and all healthy after several years (one is larger than the others). But then again, I wouldn't mind if they didn't all make it. Come to think of it, I sometimes wish I'd never planted any Washingtonia Robusta at all in my garden... 

I was just curious since I've never seen any Pritchardia grown that way... 

P. S. Nice Hyophorbe (in your profile pic), by the way!! 

Edited by Jan Jo

I planted a triple pritchardia pacifica in my yard but its still only about 5 ft high so cant really comment on how it will look!

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)