IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Big box store indoor ideas?

Mr.SamuraiSword

Looking to get a couple cheap palms while in South florida for indoor growing. Already have a smaller Bottle palm but was wondering how queens, adonidia, foxtails, and other common species do as potted indoor plants.  For the problem of eventual size, i know people in south flordia who would gladly plant them outside if given the chance.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Considering the very limited palm market in the north with soley Majesties and some pygmy dates and arecas, I would love to get a few florida staples for my apartment up north.  

15 minutes ago, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

Looking to get a couple cheap palms while in South florida for indoor growing. Already have a smaller Bottle palm but was wondering how queens, adonidia, foxtails, and other common species do as potted indoor plants.  For the problem of eventual size, i know people in south flordia who would gladly plant them outside if given the chance.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Considering the very limited palm market in the north with soley Majesties and some pygmy dates and arecas, I would love to get a few florida staples for my apartment up north.  

Adonidia has done surprisingly well for me indoors, completely trouble free as long as it gets some light, I think it's underrated as a houseplant... 

Queens on the other hand, don't do particularly well indoors. 

Edited by Jan Jo

53 minutes ago, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

I would say Adonidia, Chamaedoria, Howea, and maybe Veitchia or Ptychsperma would be the most likely choices. Queens and Foxtails would not be great.

19 minutes ago, Johnny Palmseed said:

I would say Adonidia, Chamaedoria, Howea, and maybe Veitchia or Ptychsperma would be the most likely choices. Queens and Foxtails would not be great.

Havent seen any of the latter two in any Walmarts or Home Depots down here, you know where they sell them at?

1 hour ago, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

Havent seen any of the latter two in any Walmarts or Home Depots down here, you know where they sell them at?

I don’t know where you are but you say South Florida. I would check local nurseries instead of big box stores. If you are going to be around in March, there are several plant sales going on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Palmseed said:

Thanks, for the advice. Im in north Fort Myers until Thursday,  Ill have to research some nurseries... Hopefully they will have them in smaller sizes

I can’t say that I have seen these growing indoors but they are not really fast growers so they might work. If you could find one, I would go for the Key Thatch or Leucothrinax Morrisii. They are half as fast growing and might be manageable.

I live in upstate new york..west of Albany..I have had no problems growing both queen and foxtail here..outside in the summer in indoors during winter,  as well as washingtonias., 3 different types of fishtail, Adonidias, king palms, howea, chinese fan palms, as well as the weeping palms, lady palms .During winter I use supplimental lighting, but before that they all did well on south and west windows.

I don't know where up north you are from but if you look around just look them up on the Internet to see how they do potted indoors..there is a great deal of information to be had. ..thanks Mark

Sorry mine doesn't. .I wish too..I grew mine from seed..But just talked with someone on here that has volunteers.that he said he would send me. I'll just pay shipping..waiting now.

The seeds take a while. .and you coukd have 20 seeds and maybe get 10 to germinate.

Edited by Mostapha
  • Like 1

They sell Adonidia, Foxtails, Queens, Pygmy Dates, Areca, and Bottles at Walmart, but the closest Walmart to me usually doesnt have a wide selection. Maybe they get picked over too fast? Maybe i was there after they had just put them out? I dont know, but i seriously contemplated getting an Adonidia. I would imagine that in S Florida, there would be a better --year round-- selection than up here. Stuff gets phased out during winter here at the BB stores, not sure if it's the same down there or not.

Edited by JLM

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

42 minutes ago, Mostapha said:

Sorry mine doesn't. .I wish too..I grew mine from seed..But just talked with someone on here that has volunteers.that he said he would send me. I'll just pay shipping..waiting now.

The seeds take a while. .and you coukd have 20 seeds and maybe get 10 to germinate.

I'm just gonna pay a grip for a big, established tree. I bought 4 in a 1gal pot off of Etsy in the summer, 2 died when I split them up and repotted. 

These things seem to thrive off of neglect, but they grow sooooooo slow. I've literally been watching a leaf open up for about 4 months now. 

• Like 1

Mine grow slow as in relation to say a date palm..or washingtonia..but as soon as one frond has come up and has opened there is already another working it's way up. I use palm gain and also water occasionally with triple 20 fertilizer..and they do receive pretty good light. .not to sure what I'm doing right. .but not changing tactics.. as soon as I do i would probably loose them..