IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms on the Maine coast

Brandon James

Anyone know of success stories around Maine? I have three needle palm plants planted at various times and so far show minor in some to spear pull in one. I have successfully grown a larger windmill palm by utilizing a wooden structure with Lex and glass around it to make a micro climate or enclose the palm in extreme weather. Currently trying sable minor this upcoming year and even a cabbage palm next to our foundation on the sunny side of our house. Cutie hat success others have had here in Maine.

• Like 3

You might have the best palm collection in that state.

Over the years I have sent experimental palms to my relatives in Maine with no outdoor successes, with a few indoor ones. My relatives are scattered around the state. I know of a Licuala grandis in Bangor that is holding on... indoors.

Ryan

• Like 1

South Florida

2 hours ago, Palmarum said:

You might have the best palm collection in that state.

Over the years I have sent experimental palms to my relatives in Maine with no outdoor successes, with a few indoor ones. My relatives are scattered around the state. I know of a Licuala grandis in Bangor that is holding on... indoors.

Ryan

Thank you, I have also ordered A yucca rostrata as they have done 5 hardiness, and have had a lot of success with multiple Adam’s needle yuccas

Edited by Brandon James

Lots of hard work there.  If you have a garage I'd suggest potting palms and overwintering in there.  palms can live in a ton of places where boxes are built to overwinter them.  Your main concern would be a power outage like Texas.  

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Thanks, I grew up in Maine on an island off the coast and always wished we had palms here, after living in Florida I took some home with me and all four are still alive, the biggest windmill has been planted in the ground since March 2019 and the other three are still in pots as they get bigger, and more cold hardy. One of the four is a pindo palm too  and the other three are all windmills.

image.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brandon James said:

Thank you, I have also ordered A yucca rostrata as they have done 5 hardiness, and have had a lot of success with multiple Adam’s needle yuccas

Impressive collection.  Adams needle is bulletproof in Connecticut and Mass, volunteers are very common especially in cemeteries so they should be great in maine. Yucca Rostrata is approx a zone 6b I believe so possibly needing protection. There's a few in the southern part of CT the tallest having 14 feet of trunk.  Also would recommend looking into opuntia species or cholla if you would want outdoor cacti. I have experice with Opuntia humifiusa which is native to coastal CT and has been successfully grown at least as far as Nova Scotia and is hardy to about zone 5...   Back to palms though, you've got the best stuff for outdoors plantings, wonder if a European Fan would do well with obvious needed protection.  

Edited by Mr.SamuraiSword

I have tried the fan palm but it is in a pot, was beautiful last summer and grew big fronds however it became really dry during the winter as the pot I have leaks the water out and I couldn’t water too much because of my wooden floors. But it is coming back now and I’m gonna plant it in the spring and see how it does

57 minutes ago, Brandon James said:

I have tried the fan palm but it is in a pot, was beautiful last summer and grew big fronds however it became really dry during the winter as the pot I have leaks the water out and I couldn’t water too much because of my wooden floors. But it is coming back now and I’m gonna plant it in the spring and see how it does

As a former New Englander and someone with a camp in western Maine hats off you you.  Nicely done.  The coast is much milder then inland but still great work. I usually make it up to my camp at least once a year.  :greenthumb:

19 hours ago, RJ said:

As a former New Englander and someone with a camp in western Maine hats off you you.  Nicely done.  The coast is much milder then inland but still great work. I usually make it up to my camp at least once a year.  :greenthumb:

Maine is impressive for any of those palms, I know of someone who tried adult windmills in norwalk CT for a few years with wrapping but no heat, but they died after maybe 4 or 5 years I believe the new owners didn't protect them whatsoever, also know of a Palmetto that has been in ground over 10 years in Bridgeport along with a Sabal minor, needle, and small windmill, all wrapped in the winter, no heat. It helps that they are on the south side of the building around 400ft from the ocean, I know someone on here is growing needles in RI, but I never thought people would try in Maine.... Hats off once again

Edited by Mr.SamuraiSword

On 2/22/2021 at 10:26 AM, Allen said:

Lots of hard work there.  If you have a garage I'd suggest potting palms and overwintering in there.  palms can live in a ton of places where boxes are built to overwinter them.  Your main concern would be a power outage like Texas.  

Thanks, it sounds like it’s gonna be a year by year accomplishment. The windmill I can reuse the same greenhouse and the only heat is the sun during the day, I still wrap the trunk if it’s too cold out. My thought is protect when possible and every year God willing it survives is a blessing. The needle palms however seem to be very hardy here. I have three small needle palms that are only a few inches that look like they are surviving with no protection at all, the other three larger ones are looking to have some winter wind damage but how they rebound will be interesting this spring and summer. 

Kudos to you for bringing palm love to Maine. If I'd known more about palms when I lived in Alexandria, VA, I'd have tried needles, Sabal minor and Trachycarpus spp in my yard. You show it's even possible in coastal Maine if one is willing to help them out.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.