IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What Pritchardia species is this

palmtreesforpleasure

I do have some names, this palm came California and had 2 years in quarantine many years ago.

regards

Colin

20210219_092506[1].jpg

20210219_092511[1].jpg

20210219_092514[1].jpg

20210219_092518[1].jpg

20210219_092529[1].jpg

20210219_092533[1].jpg

• Like 3

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Goodaye’ Colin!

I concur with @Darold Petty about seeing you again!

The Pritchardtia looks like it could be any of a number of species, including schautteri.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Given that there are Pritchardia species that I have never laid eyes on, I would guess schattaueri. Here are a couple of smaller ones:

schattaueri_1_MLM_022121.thumb.JPG.9b1efa24e41f2344e5cb1680d9346ca3.JPG

schattaueri_2_MLM_022121.thumb.JPG.1bac604bb3be08e66b160c36d40f6fed.JPG

Here is a mature one in Koko Crater Park on Oahu:

schattaueri_KokC_040917_2.thumb.JPG.9889bc74d18aeff245699a9194663f4c.JPG

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Hi Daryl and Dave, 

Long time no see, was going to visit last September but Corvid stopped that, 

luckily got our airfares and accommodation costs back

Been busy helping botanic gardens, added a few more last year, 

Taken on many other projects as well,  

Will post more often now the palms are more established in the gardens.

The palm is of one of 3 species,  Pritchardia schattaueri was not one on the list but will keep an open mind.

keep safe and well

regards

Colin

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Hi Colin,

I’m seeing fronds not very deeply divided but still slightly drooping at the tips, not folded strongly, rounded hastula, fibre covering margins of petioles, undersides of fronds at the base on the folds and maybe some scattered lepidia on the undersides although it is hard to tell for sure. I’m also guessing the growth habit and drooping leaf tips might be a result of being in fairly deep shade by the look of it?

I think we could rule out most if my observations are right but until it flowers I’m not sure a positive ID could be made. If not P schattaueri, I’m guessing it’s one of P forbesiana, gordonii, lanigera, lowreyana, munroi or woodii. 

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

Hi Tim,

one you mentioned is on the list of 2 species i brought back from California,

hoping someone might know

thank you Tim

regatds

Colin

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

I wouldn't be able to ID a Pritchardia if my life depended on it. I will only add that one of the more common Pritchardia species seen in California is Pritchardia hillbrandii, so there is a chance you have one, seeing as it came from California. I know, not very helpful!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.