IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis pilulifera and another big Dypsis Royal Botanic Gardens Sydney

palmtreesforpleasure

A few pictures from last Monday

Dypsis pilulifera 2 stems,  Chambeyronia sp houailou and a bit Dypsis that has been named many times by lots of palm collectors form Australia, America, Hawaii

all with a different opinion.

20210215_125018[1].jpg

20210215_124504[1].jpg

20210215_124526[1].jpg

20210215_124528[1].jpg

20210215_124531[1].jpg

20210215_124431[1].jpg

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

The big one is a D. Robusta?

the pirulifera are amazing. I bought two small this years when i saw this palm growing in New Zealand. It seems to be a succesfull dypsis in frost free temperate climates.

Hi Colin,

Everything has grown so much in the couple of years since I’ve visited. It looks like the D pilulifera are D ‘orange crush’. I’m pretty sure the latest update was that D pilulifera is now assigned to the palm previously known as D ‘Jurassic Park’. 

I know the unknown Dypsis in the photos well, it’s one of my favourites in the gardens. I’ve always assumed it must be D robusta. To me, it looks a lot like the ones at Mt Cootha which were known as D ‘stumpy’ for years until the D robusta name was assigned. It is huge!

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

8 hours ago, DiegoGM said:

The big one is a D. Robusta?

the pirulifera are amazing. I bought two small this years when i saw this palm growing in New Zealand. It seems to be a succesfull dypsis in frost free temperate climates.

Hello Diego, 

Would the Dypsis pilulifera grow in Coastal Valencia in warm microclimate, might be worth a try

regards

Colin

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Hi Tim

I looked up the Kew List and it does not show Sp Jurassic park as a Synonym.

The Dypsis Jurassic park look very different to the Pilulifera in Sydney planted in RSBG,

Can anyone else give me some feedback so i can update the Gardens records

thank you

regards

Colin

3 hours ago, tim_brissy_13 said:

Hi Colin,

Everything has grown so much in the couple of years since I’ve visited. It looks like the D pilulifera are D ‘orange crush’. I’m pretty sure the latest update was that D pilulifera is now assigned to the palm previously known as D ‘Jurassic Park’. 

I know the unknown Dypsis in the photos well, it’s one of my favourites in the gardens. I’ve always assumed it must be D robusta. To me, it looks a lot like the ones at Mt Cootha which were known as D ‘stumpy’ for years until the D robusta name was assigned. It is huge!

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

7 hours ago, John hovancsek said:

The big one really looks like dark melybug 

Hello John

The mystery of Dypsis species names and name changers continues

regards

Colin

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

43 minutes ago, palmtreesforpleasure said:

Hello Diego, 

Would the Dypsis pilulifera grow in Coastal Valencia in warm microclimate, might be worth a try

regards

Colin

I think so. Valencia is so much warmer than my place or NZ. The problem there could be the summer sun and the alcaline water, but definitely its a must try!

May by after 10 years in a greenhouse they can go to the ground. They are sooooo slow outside the tropics.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DiegoGM said:

I think so. Valencia is so much warmer than my place or NZ. The problem there could be the summer sun and the alcaline water, but definitely its a must try!

May by after 10 years in a greenhouse they can go to the ground. They are sooooo slow outside the tropics.

They are only 12 years  old, grown quickly in Sydneym 200 years of mulched soil probably helps

regards

Colin

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

This species grows well in tropical and subtropical climates like sydney, but they are slow in the warm temperate! They barely grows thought our cool and rainy winters. Maybe my grandsons could see a tall palm growing here some day!

aloha Colin, 

We went to the gardens a couple of years ago, thought I was in Hawaii, the variety was really cool, would love to go back to Sydney again.  went just

for 2 days, I work for Hawaiian airlines so can travel and go away for just the weekend. pretty cool.  aloha