IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Strelitzia parvifolia. Anyone else growing one?

Mangosteen

They are very similar to Strelitzia reginae except that the leaves are very narrow and cup shaped at the top. Mine is very slow growing and has never flowered.

parva 333.jpg

parva 444.jpg

• Like 2

Hi. I have a couple. They appear to want the same conditions as S reginae. Mine are also somewhat slower than S reginae. I’d say that their growth speed is similar to S juncea. 

• Like 1

Are the flowers like reginae?

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

9 hours ago, Marius said:

Here is one of them 

image.jpg

Seeing how you are rather close to the source, do you happen to also grow S. alba and S. caudata?

On 2/21/2021 at 5:03 PM, Mangosteen said:

Seeing how you are rather close to the source, do you happen to also grow S. alba and S. caudata?

Alba and caudata are impossible to get here. They are rare and grow in protected and inaccessible areas. 

For more about the origin of the name, here's an excerpt from: http://pza.sanbi.org/strelitzia-juncea

"Strelitzia reginae was introduced in England in 1733 and was named after Queen Sophia Charlotte, the wife of George III of England. She was a princess of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, hence the genus name Strelitzia. The specific name juncea is derived from the Latin juncus meaning rush a reference to its rush-like appearance. In the past S. juncea was regarded as a variety of S. parvifolia or as a variety of S. reginae until evidence was produced in 1974 by Dr Van de Venter (Dyer 1975) to confirm the specific status of S. juncea. Intermediate forms exist between S. reginae and S. juncea. After extensive studies Dr Van de Venter came to the conclusion that there are genetic differences between these two species and the intermediate forms could be hybrids between the two species."

I took these pictures today of the biggest clump in my backyard, which is just now coming into bloom. It has small spoon-like blades at the tip of its leaf stalks, so it could be an intermediate form.

StrelitziaJuncea2.png

StrelitziaJuncea1.png

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hillizard said:

S. juncea. Intermediate forms exist between S. reginae and S. juncea.

One doesn't see these very often.  George Sparkman had some true Strelitzia juncea that I considered planting between my Cycas thouarsii along a wall abutting a street back in 2013.  Unfortunately, I didn't get any.  I had a bunch of tall Aechmea bromeliads that I planted instead since they were armed and I was having an issue with tagging at the time.  I don't know that i have seen true S juncea since then.

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

I've had this clump for 20 years, blooms like clockwork, nestled in with a clump of Sansevieria singularis.

bird.jpg

Edited by Gonzer
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 11 months later...

I have alba, caudata, "parvifolia" and the other species in my yard here in Orange County, CA.  Some are more prolific at seeding than others. Anyone is welcome to come over and look for seeds.

• 1 year later...

I have a large clump of "parvifolia" in the ground. Southern California Edison recently pruned (= butchered) off most of its spoon-shaped leaves but it will make a comeback. In fact, it has at least one inflorescence coming. I tried separating one of the smaller offsets but gave up after 30 minutes. Unless you are growing Strelitzia in containers, dividing the clump is almost impossible.