IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Can you grow palms in the Hawaiian Tundra?

EastCanadaTropicals

The extreme top of the Hilo mountains is in zone 9a, even though it's located in a tundra climate, just look at the Koppen map. But I wonder, would it be possible to grow palms there if you add good soil? It would be pretty funny to see sabals and trachys growing in Hawaii instead of more tropical palms. Then again, it might be too dry or not have enough oxygen at that elevation. Maybe a little bit lower than the top, in the 9b-10a areas, since there are trees in that part. 

Edited by EastCanadaTropicals

Nothing to say here. 

Native Agave at a very, very high elevation in hawaii: 

Screenshot 2021-02-20 144210.png

Nothing to say here. 

Basically a tundra at this place:   

This is semi arid, so it's probably even drier at the top.

Screenshot 2021-02-20 144418.png

Nothing to say here. 

1 hour ago, EastCanadaTropicals said:

I’m not familiar with a majority of Hawaii’s flora, but that looks like mullein to me. Possibly Verbascum thapsus. If it is, I’ve read it’s invasive in Hawaii.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

USDA Hardiness Zone 7b/8a

AHS Heat Zone 7

40 minutes ago, SEVA said:

I’m not familiar with a majority of Hawaii’s flora, but that looks like mullein to me. Possibly Verbascum thapsus. If it is, I’ve read it’s invasive in Hawaii.

They look very similar to agave and the climate in that place seems to be arid, so I assumed it was an Agave.

Nothing to say here. 

53 minutes ago, SEVA said:

:greenthumb: Good eye..   Agave -of any kind- would be invasive / introduced there as well.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, EastCanadaTropicals said:

Ignore this post.

Nothing to say here. 

2 hours ago, amh said:

everyone makes mistakes, no worries.

Ok, thanks.

Nothing to say here. 

2 hours ago, amh said:

They do look a bit like agave, especially from the flowers.

Nothing to say here. 

Hmm. I don't see any homes up there. I can tell you it is much easier to grow palms downhill from the "tundra." (Never heard it called that.) But all kidding aside, my impression is the island likes to keep these areas in their natural state, more or less. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

10 hours ago, Kim said:

Hmm. I don't see any homes up there. I can tell you it is much easier to grow palms downhill from the "tundra." (Never heard it called that.) But all kidding aside, my impression is the island likes to keep these areas in their natural state, more or less. 

But a W. filifera is worth a shot.

Nothing to say here. 

18 hours ago, SEVA said:

Very cold hardy, nice that it's native at such a high elevation.

Nothing to say here. 

I live at 1,500ft and I grow iguanura calyptrocalyx and high elevation palms like prestoea Socratea. Some of the Asian palms do great for me but they are a bit slower for me than they might for Kim. I feel like I have the perfect environment for a huge arrangement of palms but would not go any higher. With that said I have seen an amazing palm collection at 2,500 ft elevation 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, amh said:

From the google camera, they look like agave.

• Like 1

Nothing to say here. 

4 minutes ago, EastCanadaTropicals said:

Very cold hardy, nice that it's native at such a high elevation.

Invasive, ..Was introduced/ escaped on the island(s)..  Native to Europe, parts of Asia, and N. Africa..

• Like 1

21 hours ago, EastCanadaTropicals said:

The extreme top: 

Screenshot 2021-02-20 144923.png

That is true tundra.  Though that might be (speaking in biomes terminology) be bordering on ice cap territory climate-wise, with no flora whatsoever.

I've been up there, it was dang cold.

• Like 1

I never knew what the plant Verbascum thapsus was called before this thread. I see it growing in rocky areas and in the sides of gravel driveways here all the time. I never knew it was invasive! 

• Like 1

PalmTreeDude

1 hour ago, EastCanadaTropicals said:

But a W. filifera is worth a shot.

I admit, I don't get it.  In Hawaii where tropical species from around the world can be grown outdoors with relative ease from sea level to the cloud forest at 3,000 ft., unusual palms that won't flourish in most of the world, and you'd like to plant a common Washingtonia on top of a volcano at 6,000 ft. where nobody lives? The logic escapes me. And it could turn out to be highly invasive, as it is in Southern California. In this case, I'd say "Try this at home." :winkie:

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

7 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

I never knew what the plant Verbascum thapsus was called before this thread. I see it growing in rocky areas and in the sides of gravel driveways here all the time. I never knew it was invasive! 

Aside from this sp., there's several Verbascum sp that have escaped in the U.S. but are native to Europe/ the Mediterranean. All are moderately/highly invasive.. " Moth Mullen " Verbascum blattaria, is probably the prettiest (  believe it has several cultivars -in Europe- ) but will also colonize gravely disturbed spots... crowding out natives if not controlled. Try to  pull any i see when hiking, if i can get to them.  Were once used as Fish Poison due to the plants containing high levels of Rotenone. Seed can be very long lived in the soil as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kim said:

I admit, I don't get it.  In Hawaii where tropical species from around the world can be grown outdoors with relative ease from sea level to the cloud forest at 3,000 ft., unusual palms that won't flourish in most of the world, and you'd like to plant a common Washingtonia on top of a volcano at 6,000 ft. where nobody lives? The logic escapes me. And it could turn out to be highly invasive, as it is in Southern California. In this case, I'd say "Try this at home." :winkie:

I am just saying, as it would be interesting, as the common, hardy palms are the only thing you can plant at the extreme highest elevations I'm talking about.

Nothing to say here. 

3 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

That is true tundra.  Though that might be (speaking in biomes terminology) be bordering on ice cap territory climate-wise, with no flora whatsoever.

I've been up there, it was dang cold.

There is flora, you just have to look, but it's mostly just desert shrubs.

• Upvote 1

Nothing to say here. 

On 2/20/2021 at 7:46 PM, EastCanadaTropicals said:

They do look a bit like agave, especially from the flowers.

Don't feel bad, I had recently mistaken a pistachio for a persimmon. Pictures are not always easy to interpret.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

It really grows everywhere, bu the biggest one I have ever seen was growing at enchanted rock.

Edited by amh
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, EastCanadaTropicals said:

There is flora, you just have to look, but it's mostly just desert shrubs.

Right at and near the top?  I sure didn't see any, but then, I was looking from a van.

-Michael

• Like 1

20 hours ago, amh said:

Don't feel bad, I had recently mistaken a pistachio for a persimmon. Pictures are not always easy to interpret.

Nah, it's fine. Thanks.

Nothing to say here. 

13 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

Right at and near the top?  I sure didn't see any, but then, I was looking from a van.

-Michael

I saw a shrub, but it was probably cultivated.

Nothing to say here.