Sign in to follow this  
PeteMoss

Washingtonia turning yellow

PeteMoss

So after finally figuring out how to not kill these things and enjoying much growth, there appears to be a problem. On some The leaves are turning yellow, even some of the newer ones. The spear isn’t turning yellow on any yet. In my experience yellow leaves means root rot. I pulled one out of the pot and the roots didn’t look bad at all, mildly rootbound if anything. Furthermore, it was almost bone dry, so there isn’t excess moisture to enable rot.

The kicker is, I watered just a few days ago, and it’s already bone dry? I water every two weeks. I’m wondering if they’re not getting enough water after reaching a certain size? I thought the leaves would shrivel up rather than turn yellow with lack of water.

Before anyone says it’s normal leaf death, in the one picture you can see the brown bordering the green directly. This is what normal death has looked like on all of these; no yellowing, just brown slowly expanding from the tip. The problem leaves are turning yellow and dying all at once.

thanks for any info!

DF2C1129-6BFE-4EE7-AE9E-57EACF6CC896.jpeg

6497988D-CDB9-426D-B817-05A0E40AB980.jpeg

8955ED9C-1C52-4BE1-8838-D98C1AE3AE56.jpeg

E9B23E76-F815-4F80-93D9-A7D36FAA8A2D.jpeg

Edited by PeteMoss

JohnAndSancho

Add some diluted liquid fertilizer to your next watering. 

PalmatierMeg

Put them in the bathtub and give them a long tepid shower. Then leave them alone to drain then maybe hit them with diluted fertilizer

PeteMoss
3 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Put them in the bathtub and give them a long tepid shower. Then leave them alone to drain then maybe hit them with diluted fertilizer

That’s essentially what I do when I water them. I drench and shower with warm water. 

i put some fertilizer in one to see how it works out compared to the others. thanks!

lzorrito

Mine usually behave like that during winter time low light conditions. Typical, don't worry, they'll recover soon and show new growth to replace old fronds.

• Like 1

PeteMoss
On 2/19/2021 at 4:13 AM, lzorrito said:

Mine usually behave like that during winter time low light conditions. Typical, don't worry, they'll recover soon and show new growth to replace old fronds.

Thanks! I just get concerned when a few suddenly have the same problem at once, especially when I haven’t changed anything I’m doing 

oasis371

They are too dry.  Absolutely NO palm species tolerate dry roots, including those that grow in the desert or semi-arid areas (they tap into underground aquifers). Your mix is very well-draining, and your palms definitely need more frequent watering, NOT more fertilizing at this point as they are already under stress.  I would also put them into bigger containers next month. Not too late though.

Edited by oasis371
  • Like 1