IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Photos from the Big Island of Hawaii - I will be moving there in July!

kylecawazafla

I recently went to Hilo, Hawaii to interview for a job and it went favorably! I will be moving there in July, 2021 and couldn't be more excited. Anyways, I was on the island for only 36 hours but got to see Kim and Bo's yard, as well as the amazing Fissure 8 formed in 2018! I had never seen many of the palms on their yards before, but the highlight was definitely finally seeing a Voanioala gerardii in person! 

Click HERE for all of the photos from the trip! Some teasers below. 

Voanioala gerardii 

image.png.4a7cec1dc8424a37d8908cea8fac1b7e.png

Loxococcus rupicola 

image.png.44438249ec01ef22f2543e2914be4370.png

Clinostigma samoense

image.png.26505f95e235b16438049c91aedb1128.png

Bentinckia condapanna

image.png.c0bd3ce87f76bc1023245ecf1f7acb67.png

Marojejya darianii

image.png.1a1865a435b50352e5eed02c559d04de.png

• Like 17
  • Upvote 3

I'm always up for learning new things!

Hi Kyle, I think you're going to enjoy this job! Even if the job is  not great, the fringe benefits are pretty amazing.

On another subject, what happened to that Lord Howe Island banyan tree I sent you many years ago?

• Like 1

Waimarama New Zealand (39.5S, 177E)

Oceanic temperate

summer 25C/15C

winter 15C/6C

No frost, no heat

Kyle,

It was great to have you visit us here in Leilani Estates and I'm thrilled to know that you got the job! Outstanding! :) Unfortunately I didn't get any palmy photos of you and this is kind of the complete opposite - you on top of the Fissure 8 volcano right here in Leilani Estates! :mrlooney:

Bo-Göran

DSC_0276.JPG

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Really looking forward to having you on the island, Kyle! You will join a cadre of transplants here who love palms, and there is so much else to explore on the Big Island. So excited for you!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Kyle,

great pictures (on flickr, too) and congratulations to the new job over there! :greenthumb:

I hope it will all work out there for you - please, keep us posted!

best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

I hope u are going to love it here. This place is magical. I’m sure we will cross paths, it’s such a small island 

Kyle - it has been great having you as a PalmTalk User for 15+ years, and will be equally cool having you as another palm lover on the Big Island. I have no doubt you will enjoy the adventure. 

Looking forward to meeting you in person. So hit me up for a garden tour during one of your visits to the Kona side.

• Like 1

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Kyle,

Glad to hear that another palm enthusiast and excellent photographer is coming to the Big Island. Once you get settled in, please drop by for a tour of the garden. I'm sure you will feel at home in no time. HIPS hopes to resume garden tours in the fall assuming pandemic restrictions are lifted.

Rick

Kyle,

I’d be happy to have you stop by my place for a garden tour as well. Nice to know another palm person will be here on the island. We’ve been here for 3.5 years now and not a day goes by that I ever get tired of this place. I’ve never had one regret in moving here. You’ll love it! 

Jason

Thank you everyone! I am very excited to get this opportunity as it has been a long term goal of mine! I look forward to meeting you guys with similar interests! After being interested in palms since the age of 13, I'm excited to finally start a garden at the age of 31! 

Hello Ben! It's funny you mention that about Ficus macrophylla var. columnaris! I was living in Seattle when you sent it back in 2004, and unfortunately couldn't move it with me when I moved to Florida in 2005. A friend kept it in Seattle, but it died a few years later as a houseplant. Coincidentally, I had a trip to California in October 2020 and obtained one from Tim in San Diego. Upon further questioning, he stated that you were his source! I finally got to plant one in its intended location in Northern California along a saltwater creek in Corte Madera, CA! As of a few weeks ago, it is still doing well! 

E30A5ECD-4A7D-4482-8D51-7F4248C3B6AD.jpeg

• Like 2

I'm always up for learning new things!

2 hours ago, kylecawazafla said:

Thank you everyone! I am very excited to get this opportunity as it has been a long term goal of mine! I look forward to meeting you guys with similar interests! After being interested in palms since the age of 13, I'm excited to finally start a garden at the age of 31! 

Hello Ben! It's funny you mention that about Ficus macrophylla var. columnaris! I was living in Seattle when you sent it back in 2004, and unfortunately couldn't move it with me when I moved to Florida in 2005. A friend kept it in Seattle, but it died a few years later as a houseplant. Coincidentally, I had a trip to California in October 2020 and obtained one from Tim in San Diego. Upon further questioning, he stated that you were his source! I finally got to plant one in its intended location in Northern California along a saltwater creek in Corte Madera, CA! As of a few weeks ago, it is still doing well! 

E30A5ECD-4A7D-4482-8D51-7F4248C3B6AD.jpeg

That's funny  Kyle, glad you remembered (you were not real old back then). I had hoped it would have been a huge banyn by now. Here's the mother tree at my place in picture below, you're not going to need to try to find cold tolerant Ficus any more with the new move. I'll be expecting some extensive development pictures on here as you develop the garden.

P1020045.jpg

Waimarama New Zealand (39.5S, 177E)

Oceanic temperate

summer 25C/15C

winter 15C/6C

No frost, no heat