IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Queen Palm in Myrtle Beach?

Pee Dee Palms

37 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Are you sure those are queens (Syagrus)?  They look more like kings (Archontophoenix).  I wouldn't expect much leaf damage to Syagrus at 24° but I'd expect a near death experience for Archontophoenix.

Yes these pictures are of kings (Archontophoenix).

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, palmbrad said:

Yes these pictures are of kings (Archontophoenix).

Ha ha, I missed your earlier post saying they were kings.  I never see them for sale locally so it surprised me to see you were able to get a hold of a double.  I assume they are A. cunninghamiana and you did well protecting them!  I've got A. maxima, A. tuckeri, A. purpurea and A. alexandrae that I grew from seed but they aren't quite large enough to plant out at my zone 10a rental property yet.

Jon Sunder

3 hours ago, Fusca said:

Ha ha, I missed your earlier post saying they were kings.  I never see them for sale locally so it surprised me to see you were able to get a hold of a double.  I assume they are A. cunninghamiana and you did well protecting them!  I've got A. maxima, A. tuckeri, A. purpurea and A. alexandrae that I grew from seed but they aren't quite large enough to plant out at my zone 10a rental property yet.

I bought them as seedlings but they weren’t identified as to which type. Am guessing cunninghamiana. Have since grow some cunninghamiana and tuckeri from seed as eventual replacements. 

• 7 months later...

so I also live in Myrtle Beach,  and have a small forested area between a marina and my house. there are dozens of palms growing wild that are definitely  NOT palmetto  trees.  I dug up several  small ones and planed into pots for the rest of the season. if it looks like Temps will go below freezing ill move them into my sun room  till spring. can anyone give me some advice on what type of palm it is? it looks like a small queen palm but I'm unsure.

thanks!  that was my second guess, but they are more green than silver and not so curved in the branches. so I want sure.

any tips on how to get them to grow faster?

Edited by RyaninMB

Its the dame yankee cold blasts!.

I  known you can easily grow the more cold tolerant palms including  your native palmetto but king palms are much more sensitive to climate variations and as well as cold.  The problem you would have with growing a king palms in coastal Carolina is the same problem you have growing citrus. It the great variation you have with temperature extremes.  Though even in Dec and Jan your average low temp is well above freezing and average high is 60 degrees, the problem is  you have regular though brief cold blasts from the north . Taking the temp from a balmy 60 degrees weeks for weeks to  rapid cool blast down to 25 degree just for a day or two.  Though 25 f is never good for a king palm no matter the sub species it is particularly bad if the tree was actively growing in the other wise balmy winter.   Palms do not go completely dormant put they certainly slow their growth in colder weather.  The less active they are the better they survive a colder temp.  I have sister who has trying for years to grow orange trees in Charleston .  She never made it past two years without them being killed from a single cold blast from the north.  

Your only change of growing a king palm in costal Carolina is to watch the weather and protect it on the few killer cold days.  Also if you can keep them alive and get big they are more cold resistant the bigger they are. 

On a alternative note: Try growing a Caryota Maxima (Himalaya fish tail) .  They are amazing and very unique and I believe it can take your winter temperature extremes. 

Our climate here in the central valley of California is actually colder in the winter in general than yours in coastal Carolina.   However the weather is very consistent for the most part.  It stays cold all winter and  temp rarely get above 50 and  goes below freezing for at least a week or so.  Yet I have over  30 species of palms and they all thrive, but most have very slow growth if any growth in dec  and jan.  Same with Citrus and avocados which thrive here as well . 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, RyaninMB said:

thanks!  that was my second guess, but they are more green than silver and not so curved in the branches. so I want sure.

any tips on how to get them to grow faster?

Welcome to Palmtalk Ryan.  Butia odorata are quite variable so some are somewhat blue/silver while others are various shades of green.  I grew this one from seed of a very blue mother palm hoping to get the same color.  It's about 11 years old and still quite green as you can see.  Perhaps it will get bluer as it ages or it might stay green - time will tell.

Jon

IMG_20210929_091723.thumb.jpg.828856096a1c191c7a750501a321667a.jpg

Jon Sunder

Nice find in the woods! By the spring they should be a $30-45 value per potted palm at a BB store. They eat up some palm fertilizer and will reward you with a beautiful crown of fronds. Left untouched and they tend to look beat up from my observations.

• Like 1