IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cyrtostachys renda semi-hydro experiment

PsyPalm

Hey guys!

I bought a small (7") c. renda seedling from Hawaii about 10 months ago and have been trying to keep it happy here in my Seattle apartment.  It's definitely had some ups and downs but I finally have it in a setup that it actually seems to like and wanted to share it on here. It's been in this new pot and setup for approx. 4 months now and it's FINALLY starting to push out new growth.

I have it potted in a 10" lechuza classico self watering planter.  It's planted in a homemade pon mixture composed of equal parts white pumice, black lava rock, red lava rock, (all of these 1/4" size), akadama, and zeolite.  I keep the reservoir in the planter constantly full with filtered water, and I take out the inner pot weekly to flush the substrate and rinse away any salt buildup.  Once monthly I'll replace the water in the reservoir and add a half strength dose of FloraGro 2-1-6 hydroponic nutrient solution.

I've also added a 6" wide seedling heat mat to keep the root structure from getting too cold (winter in Seattle can be very tricky).  I basically wrapped/duct taped it around the inner lechuza container so it's warming the root structure and ran the power cord out the watering hole. (see picture)  I have it positioned next to my work desk with a mild red/blue grow light directly next to it.

After a bumpy first 6 months it seems like she's finally happy, I'm noticing new leaf spikes on three of four trunks and they are coming in at a decent growth rate.  The red color is also starting to develop nicely on the largest trunk.  Anyway, just wanted to share my grow with you guys!  It's definitely my most intricate/experimental setup, I'll keep this thread updated with her progress over the coming year :D

I always love to see how people are growing this palm indoors so please add pics and descriptions of what has/hasn't worked for those of you who have experience with it!  Thanks for looking :)

Loch

Seattle, WA

IMG_9824.JPG

IMG_9826.JPG

IMG_9821.JPG

IMG_9822.JPG

IMG_9828.JPG

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Still anxious to see how your Kentias do. Once we warm up, I'm thinking about buying a Bloem window box planter and plopping a bunch of kentia seedlings in LECA and seeing what happens. 

Hey John, unfortunately the nursery I bought the howea seedlings from improperly identified them and it turns out they are actually areca palm seedlings.  They're doing fine in the leca but aren't actually kentias haha, good thing I like dypsis as well haha.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

PsyPalm, your C. Renda looks awesome. Where in Hawaii did you get it? Also, is there a reason you use half-strength fertilizer? 

On 2/15/2021 at 10:46 PM, PsyPalm said:

Hey guys!

I bought a small (7") c. renda seedling from Hawaii about 10 months ago and have been trying to keep it happy here in my Seattle apartment.  It's definitely had some ups and downs but I finally have it in a setup that it actually seems to like and wanted to share it on here. It's been in this new pot and setup for approx. 4 months now and it's FINALLY starting to push out new growth.

I have it potted in a 10" lechuza classico self watering planter.  It's planted in a homemade pon mixture composed of equal parts white pumice, black lava rock, red lava rock, (all of these 1/4" size), akadama, and zeolite.  I keep the reservoir in the planter constantly full with filtered water, and I take out the inner pot weekly to flush the substrate and rinse away any salt buildup.  Once monthly I'll replace the water in the reservoir and add a half strength dose of FloraGro 2-1-6 hydroponic nutrient solution.

I've also added a 6" wide seedling heat mat to keep the root structure from getting too cold (winter in Seattle can be very tricky).  I basically wrapped/duct taped it around the inner lechuza container so it's warming the root structure and ran the power cord out the watering hole. (see picture)  I have it positioned next to my work desk with a mild red/blue grow light directly next to it.

After a bumpy first 6 months it seems like she's finally happy, I'm noticing new leaf spikes on three of four trunks and they are coming in at a decent growth rate.  The red color is also starting to develop nicely on the largest trunk.  Anyway, just wanted to share my grow with you guys!  It's definitely my most intricate/experimental setup, I'll keep this thread updated with her progress over the coming year :D

I always love to see how people are growing this palm indoors so please add pics and descriptions of what has/hasn't worked for those of you who have experience with it!  Thanks for looking :)

Loch

Seattle, WA

IMG_9824.JPG

IMG_9826.JPG

IMG_9821.JPG

IMG_9822.JPG

IMG_9828.JPG

PsyPalm, your C. Renda looks awesome. Where in Hawaii did you get it? I brought 2 specimens home on the airplane from Oahu which I recently posted about. Also, is there a reason you use half-strength fertilizer? 

Edited by Monocot49

@Monocot49 thanks so much! I purchased mine on ebay, I'm not sure exactly where in Hawaii the nursery was that sold it to me, and I haven't been able to find the same seller or listing on ebay since :/ As far as half strength fertilizer, it's just kind of the rule I follow for all my palms, I'd rather under fertilize than overwhelm the plant and burn it.  Not really based on science just personal experience lol.

As far as an update, my c. renda seems to really enjoy it's home in the lechuza self watering pot/pon combination!  It's been an uncharacteristically warm summer here in Seattle so I haven't had the root warming heat pad plugged in for the past two months, and other than that she's been entirely unfussy as far as care and pushing plenty of new growth.  Growing much faster than the first year I had her, and although she's still only a wee lass (about 12" tall) her crown shaft and petioles are really starting to show some awesome red color :D

IMG_2511.jpg

2 hours ago, PsyPalm said:

@Monocot49 thanks so much! I purchased mine on ebay, I'm not sure exactly where in Hawaii the nursery was that sold it to me, and I haven't been able to find the same seller or listing on ebay since :/ As far as half strength fertilizer, it's just kind of the rule I follow for all my palms, I'd rather under fertilize than overwhelm the plant and burn it.  Not really based on science just personal experience lol.

As far as an update, my c. renda seems to really enjoy it's home in the lechuza self watering pot/pon combination!  It's been an uncharacteristically warm summer here in Seattle so I haven't had the root warming heat pad plugged in for the past two months, and other than that she's been entirely unfussy as far as care and pushing plenty of new growth.  Growing much faster than the first year I had her, and although she's still only a wee lass (about 12" tall) her crown shaft and petioles are really starting to show some awesome red color :D

IMG_2511.jpg

Hey Brother!

Love what you're doing with your Lipstick Palm! I really appreciate people who are really devoted and actually show attention to Palms! 

I've recently purchased these two Lipstick Palms on eBay. This seller is located in Thailand. Before I purchased them, I had to check out their feedback and see if anyone has purchased any of these Lipstick Palms.  The past month he's gotten 6 positive feedback, 4 of the 6 positives were Customers that purchased said Lipstick Palms. 

So after that I felt comfortable enough to make a purchase. If you are interested in the sellers ebay name, just let me know. I'll be happy to give you it! 

*****Oh yeah! They're not shipped BareRoot!!! They've actually have a wet rootball with the soil still intact! 

Screenshots_2021-08-11-03-00-31.png

Edited by CoconutGambler352
Forgotten to mention they're not shipped Bareroot

• 4 months later...
On 8/11/2021 at 3:55 PM, PsyPalm said:

IMG_2511.jpg

On 8/11/2021 at 3:55 PM, PsyPalm said:

IMG_2511.jpg

Hey! Just wondering how the C renda is doing now coming into another one of your winters? Your setup looks great, I love seeing people push the envelope with these palms.

@Dimimelbourne thanks dude! It's doing great, finally pushed out a frond with more than two pinnae which is exciting!  Honestly I haven't noticed any differences in growth or health from season to season (any browning on the pinnae in the first picture is from her grow lights getting bumped too close by my cats and scorching the leaf, not anything health related) 

I think because I have it growing in such a controlled environment it doesn't really know what seasons are lol.  Growth is still painfully slow compared to all my other palms but it seems like that's par for the course for c. renda's in general.  I'm hoping now that it's pushing multiple pinnae per frond growth picks up a little, from reading all of @David_Sweden's posts on growing them it seems like the seedling stage is the slowest so we'll see.  Crownshaft is developing a really nice red color so far, especially for how small she still is.  I've seen quite a few postings online selling c. renda where the overall plant is much larger than mine but hasn't developed any red whatsoever so I'm super happy in that regard.  

Would love to see some updated pics of yours too mate!  Cheers :D

Lipstick Top View.jpg

Lipstick Side View.jpg

Lipstick Color Detail.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1