John.

Hello to you palm growers

John.

Hello,

first post..so
Not sure where to do this.
Some of you I may already know but hello to  you palm growers.
I'm from the Netherlands but have recently moved to Belgium ( not for the weather)
I've been busy with plants for a while but no matter how long. we learn almost every day by asking questions ans comparing.
Thanks for that and I.m looking forward to it.

Best 
John

• Like 1

Teegurr
4 hours ago, John. said:

Hello,

first post..so
Not sure where to do this.
Some of you I may already know but hello to  you palm growers.
I'm from the Netherlands but have recently moved to Belgium ( not for the weather)
I've been busy with plants for a while but no matter how long. we learn almost every day by asking questions ans comparing.
Thanks for that and I.m looking forward to it.

Best 
John

Hello and welcome to Palmtalk! If you're looking to grow palms, one of the most common to grow is Trachycarpus fortunei in your part of Europe. Other Trachys can work as well. Also, a Butia eriospatha, but they may be hard to find. You would do nicely with Jubaeas too, but they are a giant palm and take a very long time to get big. You may know this already. I would suggest, if you have the room, to try to grow a Canary Island Date Palm (Phoenix canariensis), of course, depending on what part of Belgium you are in. They are very beautiful palms, but they are huge and might require a little protection past a warm 8b. They can grow in the UK as well. Maybe try a mule palm (Butia x Syagrus). They are hardy to 8b.  Chamaerops humilis is always a good choice too.

Try this link to see your hardiness zone in Belgium: 

https://www.plantmaps.com/interactive-belgium-plant-hardiness-zone-map-celsius.php

John.

Thanks for that Teegurr.

The few days of dry weather we call summer here are a bit short for the slow starters in spring, but some species are doing well.

• Like 1

hanapalm

What is the best way to store red lantan palm seeds before planting?