IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ficus religiosa or sacred fig

Reyes Vargas

Here is my Ficus religiosa or sacred fig covered in ice.  You can't really see the ice since it wasn't that much ice that we got but trust me it's on the leaves.  I think it will have some die back but it should survive.  Time will tell.

20210215_093213.jpg

• Like 2

I bet it's going to freeze to the ground or at least suffer major dieback. The good news is that religiosa comes back vigorously from its roots. It's one of the best figs in that regard.

I wonder how the big tropical figs at TAMU Corpus Christi will fare...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/15/2021 at 4:34 PM, necturus said:

I bet it's going to freeze to the ground or at least suffer major dieback. The good news is that religiosa comes back vigorously from its roots. It's one of the best figs in that regard.

I wonder how the big tropical figs at TAMU Corpus Christi will fare...

Well you were right.  It froze to the ground.  It is starting to sprout from the trunk just below the surface.  Should I let it grow or should I just take it out and plant another one?  It is small enough that it should be easy to take put. I do have a couple more in pots.

20210402_074855.jpg

20210402_074859.jpg

Sorry man. There was a huge one at TAMU CC. Last time I was there it was dropping figs like crazy. I am really worried about it and all there other tropicals. Hopefully being on an island and surrounded by huge buildings helps it pull through.

They grow back fast from the roots even in Houston. Personally, I like them multi-trunked and bushy.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/2/2021 at 7:58 AM, Reyes Vargas said:

Well you were right.  It froze to the ground.  It is starting to sprout from the trunk just below the surface.  Should I let it grow or should I just take it out and plant another one?  It is small enough that it should be easy to take put. I do have a couple more in pots.

20210402_074855.jpg

20210402_074859.jpg

Here is how my ficus looks now.  My question is should I cut most of the sprouts so that its just one or do I just leave it like that?  Would a multi trunk ficus look good?

20210612_074444.jpg

20210612_074459.jpg

• Like 2

The only risk with a multi-trunk trees (in general) is that they split in hurricanes.  But that's usually a concern with trees like oaks and magnolias.  Ficus frequently split near ground level, check out some photos of mature Ficus Religiosa and Benghalensis.  Multi-trunk on those look really cool as they twist and intertwine!

On 6/12/2021 at 4:04 PM, Josh76 said:

I think a multi-trunk Ficus would look awesome!

:greenthumb: Agree,  Nothing is as neat as walking among / through a massive multi - trunked Ficus...

Some pictures of the big boys from Selby Botanical, early 2016:

Believe this is the famous F. benjamina that covers  ..about an acre,  if i remember right.
DSCN0327.thumb.JPG.dcbb50fc7f815b0d492a994fe4d2528a.JPG

DSCN0363.thumb.JPG.f5dcf2e911a06c35be68d22455e3501a.JPG

DSCN0370.JPG.12accd0bac32c7ebb29c69245c0e37c7.JPG

Can't remember which one this is ..Possibly F. benghalensis. Would be sweet to have this in my backyard though:D
DSCN0330.thumb.JPG.2b5a3a29c31a2690e6b7aaf4bcc0f818.JPG

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

On 6/12/2021 at 6:37 AM, Reyes Vargas said:

Here is how my ficus looks now.  My question is should I cut most of the sprouts so that its just one or do I just leave it like that?  Would a multi trunk ficus look good?

20210612_074444.jpg

20210612_074459.jpg

@Reyes Vargas

Here's what your multi trunked specimen might morph into. Probably a bit faster than out in California.
https://californiabigtrees.calpoly.edu/tree-detail/ficus-religiosa/452

• Like 2