IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

This is bad. Ft. Worth is having rotating outages.

WestCoastGal

On 2/16/2021 at 4:05 PM, romeyjdogg said:

Boil water advisories all over Fort Worth now too.

Huntsville issued a boil water notice even though *checks notes* Huntsville has no water 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Huntsville issued a boil water notice even though *checks notes* Huntsville has no water 

Probably all water utilities in the state. The pressure is too low because there hasn't been power to pump.

3 minutes ago, amh said:

Probably all water utilities in the state. The pressure is too low because there hasn't been power to pump.

One of our guests' brother works for the water dept. They turned everything off because the rolling blackouts and power surges were cooking the motors. The city also put a post on Facebook saying that they didn't turn the water off, but literally nobody has water here and it's likely out for days. 

• Like 3

One of our guests' brother works for the water dept. They turned everything off because the rolling blackouts and power surges were cooking the motors. The city also put a post on Facebook saying that they didn't turn the water off, but literally nobody has water here and it's likely out for days. 

Just a trickle here.

2 minutes ago, amh said:

Just a trickle here.

It's aggravating when I literally just get off the phone with the city emergency office, and tell guests that the city shut the water off......then these people call me a liar and shove a Facebook post in my face. 

• Like 1

On 2/15/2021 at 4:10 AM, WestCoastGal said:

Just read a post from a fellow member on another forum who lives in the Ft. Worth area. Said his outdoor temp was at 6F and their utility was saying rotating outages were starting and asking for conservation. He just posted he lost power and his house heat had been set to 62F which to me is already pretty cold. Apart from devastated landscaping, concerns over frozen pipes (let your water drip in your sinks), now we have real concerns about people loosing power/heat and getting so cold inside they get sick on top of covid rates high. Heart goes out to all of you in this freeze.

I have family in San Antonio, their power is out, and at least five inches of snow. 

Texas got absolutely hammered, but we still have brisket, BucEes, Whataburger, HEB, and the glorious BE SOMEONE graffiti on I45 S in Houston. 

We made it through Ike, we made it through Harvey, we'll make it through this crap. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JohnAndSancho said:

BE SOMEONE graffiti on I45 S in Houston. 

Sadly this icon was (ironically) vandalized a year or two ago.  One day it was missing from my morning commute...some part of me died that day haha 

• Like 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

30 minutes ago, Xenon said:

Sadly this icon was (ironically) vandalized a year or two ago.  One day it was missing from my morning commute...some part of me died that day haha 

It was repaired. There was an absolute outcry over that. 

15 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

It was repaired. There was an absolute outcry over that. 

Hmm I was just down there last Friday. It wasn't there :(

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

12 hours ago, Xenon said:

Hmm I was just down there last Friday. It wasn't there :(

Really? 

I hope something really uncool happens to whoever keeps painting over it. There's at least 2 YouTube videos of people restoring it at different points in time. 

The “vandalism” is constantly “vandalized” and then “restored”. The day of the election it said “Vote or Die” .  Sadly because it’s railroad property and the railroads have supernatural powers here in Texas,  that bridge never gets covered up by local authorities.

In other news 98% of power in Houston and 90% in Austin has been restored.

• Like 2

It looks like CPS(San Antonio) has mysteriously fixed their problems. I imagine that mobs with torches and pitch forks were forming.

• Like 1

Ahh sorry AMH! Damnnn- so xmas lites would've done bunk in this 3rd world state!  My rant is with you- esp hearing our crony leaders blame green energy for their screw ups!

We had one sorry Senator busted now- took his family to Mexican resort! Pitchfork time, peeps!

Hey and just the other weekend (one balmy day) I was out washing cars and my neighbor bragged about this new electric provider that you pay a "small fee" where they buy "boot leg" market energy and you pay cheap. In good times, yeah, but now they're saying an unfortunate scam as power prices went skyrocket with this freak out and some owe $7K for ONE DAYS of power! CRAZY.

I wonder if my neighbor is over there crying in the dark?! :o

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, palmnut-fry said:

Ahh sorry AMH! Damnnn- so xmas lites would've done bunk in this 3rd world state!  My rant is with you- esp hearing our crony leaders blame green energy for their screw ups!

We had one sorry Senator busted now- took his family to Mexican resort! Pitchfork time, peeps!

Hey and just the other weekend (one balmy day) I was out washing cars and my neighbor bragged about this new electric provider that you pay a "small fee" where they buy "boot leg" market energy and you pay cheap. In good times, yeah, but now they're saying an unfortunate scam as power prices went skyrocket with this freak out and some owe $7K for ONE DAYS of power! CRAZY.

I wonder if my neighbor is over there crying in the dark?! :o

Short sighted bureaucracies are always one bad day away from collapse. There's a circular firing squad of blame, but there was more than enough time and warning to prepare.

• Like 3

I just took a shower for the first time since Monday. Of course the water came on literally 5 minutes after I brought 3 trash cans full of swimming pool water upstairs to flush the toilets. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I just took a shower for the first time since Monday. Of course the water came on literally 5 minutes after I brought 3 trash cans full of swimming pool water upstairs to flush the toilets. 

Mine is supposed to be back tonight.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, amh said:

Mine is supposed to be back tonight.

Fingers crossed and good vibes. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Fingers crossed and good vibes. 

Had my first hot meal yesterday and hopefully a hot shower tomorrow.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, amh said:

Had my first hot meal yesterday and hopefully a hot shower tomorrow.

Construction crew has been bbq'ing every night. Maaaaaan we've been eating a lot of Hot Pockets too. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Construction crew has been bbq'ing every night. Maaaaaan we've been eating a lot of Hot Pockets too. 

Fideo and bacon last night, grilled cheese tonight and venison tenderloin tomorrow.

The wood is too wet to bbq here.

On 2/15/2021 at 3:10 AM, WestCoastGal said:

Just read a post from a fellow member on another forum who lives in the Ft. Worth area. Said his outdoor temp was at 6F and their utility was saying rotating outages were starting and asking for conservation. He just posted he lost power and his house heat had been set to 62F which to me is already pretty cold. Apart from devastated landscaping, concerns over frozen pipes (let your water drip in your sinks), now we have real concerns about people loosing power/heat and getting so cold inside they get sick on top of covid rates high. Heart goes out to all of you in this freeze.

Any updates from the other forum?

50 minutes ago, amh said:

Fideo and bacon last night, grilled cheese tonight and venison tenderloin tomorrow.

The wood is too wet to bbq here.

Microwave chicken strips and Easy Mac Tonight. Splitting a bottle of water with the dog and saving enough to brush my teeth 

• Like 1

This has devolved into a humanitarian crisis in TX.  One would never know TX is the 9th largest economy in WORLD with a population of 30 million. The state leaders often tout TX as the top energy producing state in the country while criticizing and mocking CA. The utility infrastructure has failed due to TX taking shortcuts of skipping winterization of natural gas lines and wind producing turbines in the name of maximizing profits & poor management.  When crisis hits- customers get to foot the bill.  State government, the PUC, and the railroad commission have carefully crafted ERCOT to flout being connected to the national grid in order to avoid any regulation & maximize profits. 

Millions of Texans have been affected by the complete loss of electricity, rolling blackouts, loss of water, loss of clean water (under boil orders), hazardous road conditions, loss of internet & cell service, loss of natural gas and more.  The supply chain has broken- fuel outages, grocery outages, closed stores & millions of homes experiencing broken water pipes and internal flooding.  Several thousand cases (that are known of) so far, of carbon monoxide poisoning from people trying to stay warm.  People and pets are being found dead and frozen.  I know many that have been without power, heat and water for days while dealing with single digit to temps in the teens. I feel for so many fighting covid- praying for the well being and safety of all during this unimaginable scale of suffering. 

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

Matt it's totally shocking and completely unacceptable, we can only hope this exposure of the weaknesses result in real change.  Even if it's already too late.  With the amount of people moving to Texas it's only going to get more fragile unless major corrective action takes place.

I'm sorry for what you and others are having to go through right now.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Matt N- Dallas said:

This has devolved into a humanitarian crisis in TX.  One would never know TX is the 9th largest economy in WORLD with a population of 30 million. The state leaders often tout TX as the top energy producing state in the country while criticizing and mocking CA. The utility infrastructure has failed due to TX taking shortcuts of skipping winterization of natural gas lines and wind producing turbines in the name of maximizing profits & poor management.  When crisis hits- customers get to foot the bill.  State government, the PUC, and the railroad commission have carefully crafted ERCOT to flout being connected to the national grid in order to avoid any regulation & maximize profits. 

Millions of Texans have been affected by the complete loss of electricity, rolling blackouts, loss of water, loss of clean water (under boil orders), hazardous road conditions, loss of internet & cell service, loss of natural gas and more.  The supply chain has broken- fuel outages, grocery outages, closed stores & millions of homes experiencing broken water pipes and internal flooding.  Several thousand cases (that are known of) so far, of carbon monoxide poisoning from people trying to stay warm.  People and pets are being found dead and frozen.  I know many that have been without power, heat and water for days while dealing with single digit to temps in the teens. I feel for so many fighting covid- praying for the well being and safety of all during this unimaginable scale of suffering. 

Pretty sure the death toll will exceed Harvey. Probably from CO poisoning alone. Hopefully, the homeless and those with poorly insulated homes took refuge in warming centers and the total number of deaths from exposure will be low. 

10 minutes ago, necturus said:

Pretty sure the death toll will exceed Harvey. Probably from CO poisoning alone. Hopefully, the homeless and those with poorly insulated homes took refuge in warming centers and the total number of deaths from exposure will be low. 

I completely agree with you.  During Harvey, approximately 200,000 homes flooded- i fear that will be a fraction of the homes experiencing broken pipes and water damage. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Matt N- Dallas said:

Viewing the situation from afar, the whole thing is.. there aren't enough words to describe it.. From seeing countless pictures of icicles handling from Ceiling fans, Frozen toilets, Aquariums, ..etc.. to a tweet some Mayor posted ( before abruptly resigning < Hope he is chased out of the country >. ) essentially pulling the " Don't ask for help, You deserve what you get, because you're too weak to survive " card, among everything else..  is stunning and, as mentioned before, is eye opening enough to hopefully push the state -on many levels- in a different direction -not too far down the road-.

As far as the utilities, while the overall bad actor issues aren't restricted to Texas alone,  they deserve all the outrage they are receiving.. Especially considering repeated issues experienced in the past that were likely brushed off instead of being delt with. Have heard of some people receiving 2-6K electric bills.. Who do these people think would pay such obsurd bills? I sure wouldn't.  Personally hope a whole bunch of people get together and pursue legal action.. No, you may not win, but it sends a message.. It's 2021,  not 1930.. People won't tolerate this sort of stuff anymore.. Well, those whose fingers aren't permanently attached to their ears. 

• Like 3

I agree with everything that's been said, and I'm trying really hard not to drag politics into this - but the climate deniers and the wealthy politicians married to the fossil fuel industries, as well as a certain Senator who looks like a Dollar General brand Wolverine, need to be tarred and feathered. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I agree with everything that's been said, and I'm trying really hard not to drag politics into this - but the climate deniers and the wealthy politicians married to the fossil fuel industries, as well as a certain Senator who looks like a Dollar General brand Wolverine, need to be tarred and feathered. 

:greenthumb:  It's a tough, but necessary conversation/ line to walk for sure. ..and not just there.    As for Rafael, Always liked the Blob fish comparison..:floor: 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Silas_Sancona said:

:greenthumb:  It's a tough, but necessary conversation/ line to walk for sure. ..and not just there.    As for Rafael, Always liked the Blob fish comparison..:floor: 

Headline: Canadian employed by Texas runs to Mexico to avoid problems in the office. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Headline: Canadian employed by Texas runs to Mexico to avoid problems in the office. 

I'm Canadian and I'm offended by that headline!! ;)  That behavior was very Un-Canadian.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Chester B said:

I'm Canadian and I'm offended by that headline!! ;)  That behavior was very Un-Canadian.

It really was. It wasn't very Texan either. Y'all are eh-ok. 

Edited by JohnAndSancho
Added a bad joke.
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Matt N- Dallas said:

Matt- It was preceded with the same fault 10 years ago in the 2011 freeze. The TX and NM Nat gas utilities are intertwined. The Nat gas also went down in 2011 causing entire NM cities to be shut off to maintain pressure and save the rest.  We use gas for most heating.

Nat gas electric power plants are the only plants (except nuclear) that can ramp quickly enough to cover for renewables(wind/solar). 

So those Nat gas generators on the plains have had a known issue for. at least a decade.

Edited by jwitt
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnAndSancho said:

It really was. It wasn't very Texan either. Y'all are eh-ok. 

I'll make sure they institute a lifetime ban at Tim Horton's for him, and also take away his access to all the maple syrup.

• Like 3

Just now, Chester B said:

I'll make sure they institute a lifetime ban at Tim Horton's for him, and also take away his access to all the maple syrup.

I'm gonna petition to make sure he never gets brisket or Whataburger again too. 

• Like 2

Pretty crazy.. Although not surprising..  Good to see someone -else- stepped up to the plate, to help out -as best as possible- ..Didn't have to, but did.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Pretty crazy.. Although not surprising..  Good to see someone -else- stepped up to the plate, to help out -as best as possible- ..Didn't have to, but did.

Houston needs to rename one of our stadiums after Mattress Mack. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1