Rickybobby

Palm talk and depression

Rickybobby

When I first joined this forum I didn’t know because I was too far gone. But I was going through bad depression because of work. I was drinking heavily but also obsessed with palms. I was using palms and this forum as a way to feel better. I’m very thankful for that. And this. Iam doing amazing as I got a new job within the company. (Huge company) I’ve taken on reef tanks again. As I did as a youngster.  Thank you to everyone for your support. Thanks for the love. The YouTube support.   My palms are doing well indoors here in southern Ontario. I did loose a few seedlings this winter as I have been taking care of my family. My parrots and my reef tanks. But I do get some dm as people ask me for advice for indoor northern growing and it makes me feel great!! I know I’m not on a lot. But I just want to say thank you to everyone for helping me get through a hard time in my life !

rob

• Like 32
  • Upvote 6

JohnAndSancho

You're not alone, buddy. I can relate to every bit of this except I don't live in Canada and I have a dog instead of reef tanks and parrots. 

Good vibes, brother. 

• Like 2

Chester B

Chin up bud from a fellow Canadian. I too love my fish, probably my first passion. However I’ve always specialized in African cichlids, probably too much.   

I think this forum is unique in the level of mutual respect and enthusiasm for one another. Glad you’re in a better place. I’ll make sure to have a “Rye and Coke” in your honor (if that’s appropriate!)  if not it will have to be a homemade “Double Double” - no Timmy’s this way  

• Like 1

sandgroper

Good onya Rob, keep punching on mate. Strangely enough I also have a reef tank, I've just come back from the beach with an anemone and a starfish! Funny how so many on this forum have similar interests. I always find your posts interesting mate, the level of enthusiasm you have is infectious, you're a champ cobber . 

• Like 1

DoomsDave
2 hours ago, Rickybobby said:

When I first joined this forum I didn’t know because I was too far gone. But I was going through bad depression because of work. I was drinking heavily but also obsessed with palms. I was using palms and this forum as a way to feel better. I’m very thankful for that. And this. Iam doing amazing as I got a new job within the company. (Huge company) I’ve taken on reef tanks again. As I did as a youngster.  Thank you to everyone for your support. Thanks for the love. The YouTube support.   My palms are doing well indoors here in southern Ontario. I did loose a few seedlings this winter as I have been taking care of my family. My parrots and my reef tanks. But I do get some dm as people ask me for advice for indoor northern growing and it makes me feel great!! I know I’m not on a lot. But I just want to say thank you to everyone for helping me get through a hard time in my life !

rob

So sorry to hear of your pain.

So glad to hear you’re getting past it!

All the best if you want seeds just ask!

shminbabe
3 hours ago, Rickybobby said:

rob

Just want to say what a bright note it is to read of your improved state.  Thanks for sharing this.  So glad you are well and thriving (and so are your palms :) !

• Like 2

John hovancsek

Palms saved my life. I don’t want to tell a long story but for a lot of us palms are our life line to a happy life

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

PalmatierMeg
4 minutes ago, John hovancsek said:

Palms saved my life. I don’t want to tell a long story but for a lot of us palms are our life line to a happy life

Hear, hear. In a world where everything and everyone are judged and criticized, palms are non-judgmental and offer beauty.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Pal Meir

In my case it is exactly the opposite: The palm trees (not PalmTalk!) hold me tight in a depression from which I cannot escape because of them. If I hadn't had any palm trees at home, I would have fled to Sweden or Belarus already since March of last year because those seem to be the only countries in Europe where there doesn't dominate any political corona madness :sick: like here in Germany :violin: and its neighboring countries.

• Like 2

Darold Petty

Rickbobby;

I met my first girlfriend that I truly loved  at college in Santa Barbara, CA.  The municipal courthouse there has many beautiful palms illuminated at night.   A restaurant dinner and walk around this romantic vista was one of our first dates.    Now, my go-to joke is that "The girl didn't last, but the palms did".    :mrlooney:

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

Pal Meir

On the night of December 31st, New Year's Eve, I was questioned by the police in Heidelberg because I had been outside without permission between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m. That is Germany since 2020, I have never lived in such a non-free state since 1945 (and I even visited the Soviet Union under Brezhnev in 1968 and 1970).

755023138_TWagner2020-12-31P1050604.thumb.jpg.4c8f1c7d5bc5afd036f9b0089ea7edb9.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

NorCalWill
1 hour ago, Pal Meir said:

In my case it is exactly the opposite: The palm trees (not PalmTalk!) hold me tight in a depression from which I cannot escape because of them. If I hadn't had any palm trees at home, I would have fled to Sweden or Belarus already since March of last year because those seem to be the only countries in Europe where there doesn't dominate any political corona madness :sick: like here in Germany :violin: and its neighboring countries.

I once tried to get away from it all and moved up to Anchorage Alaska, leaving all of my palms (potted at the time) behind. About 2 weeks into my time there, I found a nursery with a greenhouse full of Cycas revoluta and other "house plants", including palms which I could grow outside at home. It was both refreshing to visit this nursery and depressing at the same time. I didn't stay in Alaska for long.

Covid will soon be just a bad memory.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ben in Norcal

Fellow reefer and African cichlid tank owner here!

Keep on truckin', dude!

• Like 2

DoomsDave

Hooray for mbunas!

• Like 2

Chester B
2 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Hooray for mbunas!

Hear hear!

• Like 1

James760

@Rickybobby, Congrats on the new job! Like others have said, keep on keeping on! B)

Drop a link to your YouTube channel so I could subscribe :greenthumb:

-James

subsonicdrone

this is Rickybobbys youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/EhTeamRacing/videos

i have not been able to give you a thumbs up lately because i am locked out of my gmail

• Like 1

chocolatethunda
On 2/13/2021 at 9:53 PM, Rickybobby said:

rob

Thank you for Sharing Rob, ever since the pandemic crisis started here on the island of Aruba I too went into sever depression, and that's when I got into palms, but planting them from seed, and witnessing their miracles every day brought me back slowly and now I'm on my way to becoming a palm enthusiast.

Stay strong!

• Like 6