Jump to content
ahosey01

Palmageddon Aftermath Photo Thread

Recommended Posts

amh
51 minutes ago, PricklyPearSATC said:

I can't tell if the first picture is Bismark or Washingtonia..LOL

We have those date palms in San Antonio.  They're considered a "status symbol" and are seen in upscale areas.  (Which happen to be areas where it gets colder than the rest of the city)
I wonder if they will survive?
Are they Sylvestris or dactylifera?

I've noticed this too. I think the developers have some fetish for supposedly "Tuscon" aesthetic with Anglo sounding titles that are on or at some location of false significance.

The evolution of "vista view".

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms
3 hours ago, Xenon said:

Most in town are not collapsed. Some even have green in the inner leaves. It was "only" 14F within the Beltway more or less. Many robusta on the south side of buildings look clearly alive. 

I would say that the ones that have green or are clearly alive after 14F are hybrids and not pure Robustas. Otherwise, I bet they continue to brown. Although not as bad as 89 for Houston. All Robustas did die. But what was the killing point, the duration or the ultimate low??  It would have been higher than the actually what happened to g bff e a complete raze.
I think with the wide range of temps over a short area from Huntsville ( historic) to Galveston ( Just worst since 89) there will be a clearly defined line. Since I have a math brain, I think in terms of numbers not feelings.

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms
49 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

I would say that the ones that have green or are clearly alive after 14F are hybrids and not pure Robustas. Otherwise, I bet they continue to brown. Although not as bad as 89 for Houston. All Robustas did die. But what was the killing point, the duration or the ultimate low??  It would have been higher than the actually what happened to g bff e a complete raze.
I think with the wide range of temps over a short area from Huntsville ( historic) to Galveston ( Just worst since 89) there will be a clearly defined line. Since I have a math brain, I think in terms of numbers not feelings.

Editor timed out:

I would adamantly say that the ones that have green or are clearly alive?? after 13F (Iah) are hybrids and not pure Robustas heavy genes. Otherwise, I bet they continue to brown. Although not as bad as 1989 for ultimate low- Houston 7F vs 13F, the high was lower this time 25F vs 28F.  Robustas will die. But what was the killing point, the long duration below 25 or the ultimate low??  
I think with the wide range of temps over a short area from Huntsville ( historic) to Galveston ( Just worst since 89) there will be a clearly defined line. Since I have a math brain, I think in terms of numbers not so much feelings.

In 2011 over central Texas the killing line for most Robusta went down to Austin Camp Mabry and Not Austin Bergstrom. Only a few miles. The daytime 2 day highs were mid 20s for Camp Mabry and Bergstrom were upper 20s. 

I think sit tight and we will know soon enough.

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TexasColdHardyPalms

JxS surgery..  :sick:

20210226_174858.jpg

20210226_174913.jpg

20210226_173502.jpg

20210226_174656.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
romeyjdogg
8 hours ago, PricklyPearSATC said:

I can't tell if the first picture is Bismark or Washingtonia..LOL

We have those date palms in San Antonio.  They're considered a "status symbol" and are seen in upscale areas.  (Which happen to be areas where it gets colder than the rest of the city)
I wonder if they will survive?
Are they Sylvestris or dactylifera? 

(Never gave them much thought)

First one is definitely a Bizzy. Doesn't look to great though, especially compared to the two larger ones posted earlier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OC2Texaspalmlvr
1 hour ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

JxS surgery..  :sick:

That is absolutely heart breaking. I would be devastated if that was my palm. What kind of protection did you give it? Patric doesn't even have a new crop of them coming in either , hopefully next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Swolte
1 hour ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

JxS surgery..  :sick:

Oh man, I feel your pain. I have a much smaller one and its struggling. Kicking myself for not having brought it inside.
:mellow:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TonyDFW

Sabal  mexicana unfrozen in Dallas after the big freeze. Most mexicanas are completely brown. Unprotected not near any mitigating structure. 

E8013DD2-8752-4D1B-9996-E2E739CA3FC0.jpeg

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RJ

Is the conclusion that Mexican isn't quite as hardy as Palmetto. We have zero mexican around here so I can't compare. It appears that you guys still get Palmetto's in by truck loads over there from Florida. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TonyDFW

Filifera seedlings survived outdoors unprotected at central market in Dallas after the big freeze of 2F. It’s all about the snow. 

87B93F46-A28C-49D3-B583-AA5D78167A07.jpeg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PricklyPearSATC
5 minutes ago, TonyDFW said:

Filifera seedlings survived outdoors unprotected at central market in Dallas after the big freeze of 2F. It’s all about the snow. 

87B93F46-A28C-49D3-B583-AA5D78167A07.jpeg

Our snow melted and froze again...yuck...
Our plants were subjected to a lot of ice.
My crinums were hurt the hardest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TonyDFW

I feel pretty confident that all my trunking sabals mexicana, palmetto, uresana and Trachycarpus species will live after the extreme cold in Dallas. 2F! Even if defoliated.
All my feather palms are threatened.  Will need copper fungicide treatment. Same with young braheas.  

E8B72E76-A1CA-4777-A8EA-A42EEB86F653.jpeg

EF7E9AFE-D223-429D-BE69-BB8F1A8A6BA5.jpeg

E527AFAE-C813-4E74-988C-A588322C79F1.jpeg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms
10 minutes ago, TonyDFW said:

I feel pretty confident that all my trunking sabals mexicana, palmetto, uresana and Trachycarpus species will live after the extreme cold in Dallas. 2F! Even if defoliated.
All my feather palms are threatened.  Will need copper fungicide treatment. Same with young braheas.  

E8B72E76-A1CA-4777-A8EA-A42EEB86F653.jpeg

EF7E9AFE-D223-429D-BE69-BB8F1A8A6BA5.jpeg

E527AFAE-C813-4E74-988C-A588322C79F1.jpeg

What is your prediction with the two Washingtonia front yard?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Xenon
10 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Editor timed out:

I would adamantly say that the ones that have green or are clearly alive?? after 13F (Iah) are hybrids and not pure Robustas heavy genes. Otherwise, I bet they continue to brown. Although not as bad as 1989 for ultimate low- Houston 7F vs 13F, the high was lower this time 25F vs 28F.  Robustas will die. But what was the killing point, the long duration below 25 or the ultimate low??  
I think with the wide range of temps over a short area from Huntsville ( historic) to Galveston ( Just worst since 89) there will be a clearly defined line. Since I have a math brain, I think in terms of numbers not so much feelings.

In 2011 over central Texas the killing line for most Robusta went down to Austin Camp Mabry and Not Austin Bergstrom. Only a few miles. The daytime 2 day highs were mid 20s for Camp Mabry and Bergstrom were upper 20s. 

I think sit tight and we will know soon enough.

Hmm I haven't been too far north of I-10, so I don't know how the northern parts did. The low in town/610 was 14F and protection from buildings certainly seemed to have helped. The best looking stuff is on the south side of buildings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TexasColdHardyPalms

Silver serenoa growing.  

20210226_174752.jpg

20210226_174802.jpg

20210226_174739.jpg

  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TexasColdHardyPalms

Brahea decumbens, all three trithrinax species performed well as did mazari. 

  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms
3 hours ago, TonyDFW said:

Sabal  mexicana unfrozen in Dallas after the big freeze. Most mexicanas are completely brown. Unprotected not near any mitigating structure. 

E8013DD2-8752-4D1B-9996-E2E739CA3FC0.jpeg

Did it previously have seed to prove Mexicana? Looks just pruned and more palmetto at the moment. Just saying. Would be nice to have cold hardier specimens.

those other guys all pure W filifera gonna make it?

Edited by Collectorpalms

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JohnAndSancho

Daytime pic of the Sago in my apartment complex, Sancho for scale. Just curious where y'all think this rates on the "looks like ass" survivability scale from one of the other threads. 

20210227_143253.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Allen
2 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Daytime pic of the Sago in my apartment complex, Sancho for scale. Just curious where y'all think this rates on the "looks like ass" survivability scale from one of the other threads. 

20210227_143253.jpg

They make this green spray paint to spray dead grass with.  You could go out there and spray the whole thing and flip everyone out.  That's the only way I see to revive it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JohnAndSancho
2 minutes ago, Allen said:

They make this green spray paint to spray dead grass with.  You could go out there and spray the whole thing and flip everyone out.  That's the only way I see to revive it.

I think that was the "total ass" ranking. Sancho didn't even wanna pee on it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms
40 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I think that was the "total ass" ranking. Sancho didn't even wanna pee on it. 

 

44 minutes ago, Allen said:

They make this green spray paint to spray dead grass with.  You could go out there and spray the whole thing and flip everyone out.  That's the only way I see to revive it.

I have touched up and spay painted sagos before.... that being said there isn’t enough Spray for that one. 
somewhere under there a pup or few may sprout. 
out with sago leaves, they wont help anything it’s almost spring.

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GregVirginia7
7 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

JxS surgery..  :sick:

20210226_174858.jpg

20210226_174913.jpg

20210226_173502.jpg

20210226_174656.jpg

So I can learn a bit here...what was it that told you the palm was dead? Is it the color of the fronds and the trunk pulp just confirms the diagnosis? I see holes in the center sections of the trunk?..is it at all possible a new spear comes up from the base or is it just dead throughout? How do you make these decisions? I have a Brazoria that was defoliated in 2017...I cut all the dead fronds off and the spear pulled with maggots so I loaded the hole up with copper fungicide and hydrogen peroxide and several weeks later a new spear appeared...I was ready to cut it off. Are there steps we should go through to diagnose a dead palm? I guess, sometimes, it’s pretty obvious, especially when they start to smell like a dead animal but do you have advise on how to deal with palms that look dead but may not be?

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TexasColdHardyPalms

Unfortunately this isn't my first rodeo and I've saved many being proactive like this.  This extreme measure is the only hope for survival on these. The bud must stay dry and yes it could start growing from the center.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TonyDFW

Various damage to Brahea armatas in Dallas after the big freeze. 

4AE08421-8074-418A-B724-56416427F4D8.jpeg

403E5C9A-BE84-43F4-B860-D598BC6A5CCD.jpeg

1C9C67DE-016F-4E41-99C2-2C95C3F6DBEE.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TonyDFW

Current damage to various feather leafed palms in Dallas after the big freeze. 

D3F87D03-2BA6-40E6-AAA8-F5566D50FDCB.jpeg

2561637C-9709-45D0-8B88-70A21EEF2DFA.jpeg

1ABD0DB7-63AB-4FD0-9598-7CAE65A750E3.jpeg

638BBC29-E357-4BEC-ABB9-9466DEE35DAC.jpeg

FCFC2553-BAA8-4983-89C4-7C15BACDB951.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TonyDFW

S. Brazoriaensis and s. Palmetto after the big Dallas freeze  Some of the few arborescent palms not defoliated or protected in My Dallas garden 

E39D0A39-0F4F-456E-A779-69A4B64AB77F.jpeg

524FD618-6473-40B3-8461-E5F177E7432C.jpeg

8CB2B5B2-50F7-4EC3-865C-757AC8CD6801.jpeg

  • Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TonyDFW
8 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Did it previously have seed to prove Mexicana? Looks just pruned and more palmetto at the moment. Just saying. Would be nice to have cold hardier specimens.

those other guys all pure W filifera gonna make it?

It produces tons of seeds each year. There are many seedlings st the base. It has been a string and fast grower. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms
7 hours ago, TonyDFW said:

Current damage to various feather leafed palms in Dallas after the big freeze. 

D3F87D03-2BA6-40E6-AAA8-F5566D50FDCB.jpeg

2561637C-9709-45D0-8B88-70A21EEF2DFA.jpeg

1ABD0DB7-63AB-4FD0-9598-7CAE65A750E3.jpeg

638BBC29-E357-4BEC-ABB9-9466DEE35DAC.jpeg

FCFC2553-BAA8-4983-89C4-7C15BACDB951.jpeg

These have the look that they have been protected? They look better than the ones in central Texas. True or not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms
7 hours ago, TonyDFW said:

S. Brazoriaensis and s. Palmetto after the big Dallas freeze  Some of the few arborescent palms not defoliated or protected in My Dallas garden 

E39D0A39-0F4F-456E-A779-69A4B64AB77F.jpeg

524FD618-6473-40B3-8461-E5F177E7432C.jpeg

8CB2B5B2-50F7-4EC3-865C-757AC8CD6801.jpeg

Looks like a lot of survivors for you. Congrats.  But it’s very helpful to know if and how certain things were protected. Otherwise, it’s hard to get a clear picture. 
I planted many hardy palms never expecting to protect them, ever.

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
necturus

Drove around Sugar Land (First Colony, New Territory, Telfair) surviving the damage. It looks bad.

Trachycarpus - completely unfazed. Honestly didn't realize how many of these were around, especially in Telfair. Guess you ignore them until they're the only thing left standing.

Chamaerops - range from no damage to some burn.

Washingtonia - lots of crown collapse. I agree with @Collectorpalms thoughts - it seems like the slim Washingtonia (pure robusta) are toast, whereas thicker ones (some filifera?) are completely burnt but look much better.

All dates (CIDP, true date, Indian, pygmy) - crispy. There are some big CIDPs around, and they will all defoliate. If they survive this, will they survive the fungal growth that follows? Probably not. Pygmies are extra crispy.

Livistona chinensis - ghostly white. There is (was?) a beautiful mass planting in New Territory. They are strangely beautiful right now too. I hope the HOA/landscapers give them a chance.

Queens - dead.

Sabals - did something happen?

It's particularly striking down Palm Royale. All the ginormous, gaudy palaces are surrounded by palms. The ones with exclusively or near exclusively Sabals are looking mighty good. 

Prediction: almost all non-Trachycarpus and Chamaerops palms will be gone by late summer. Even if they stood a chance of coming back, I don't think people will give them enough time. Too much of an eyesore. Someone ought to load up a few trucks full of Sabals in Florida and get them over here quick. People will want cold hardy landscaping palms.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
necturus

Grant Stevenson (IPS Board of Director) is on 740 with Randy Lemmon. Responsible for introducing mules to the Houston area decades ago. Predicting loss of W. robusta, queens, and Livistona decora in the Houston area, amongst others. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OC2Texaspalmlvr
56 minutes ago, necturus said:

Grant Stevenson (IPS Board of Director) is on 740 with Randy Lemmon. Responsible for introducing mules to the Houston area decades ago. Predicting loss of W. robusta, queens, and Livistona decora in the Houston area, amongst others. 

Listening as I write this haha 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ngservet

Does anyone expect the Sylvester, Medjool, and Canary Island Date palms to survive? There are so many in the Houston area...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fusca
2 hours ago, necturus said:

Washingtonia - lots of crown collapse. I agree with @Collectorpalms thoughts - it seems like the slim Washingtonia (pure robusta) are toast, whereas thicker ones (some filifera?) are completely burnt but look much better.

Same scenario in San Antonio.  Anyone in the area who has doubts about what Washingtonias are planted can figure it out by driving around and observing the damage.  Filiferas typically have a grey/green color when healthy and currently have a full crown with some leaf damage which makes the leaves appear a light tan color.  The hybrid filibustas and robustas currently have dark brown leaves and many with crown collapse - particularly those that had been previously overtrimmed.  Robusta look the worst with crown collapse.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms
2 hours ago, ngservet said:

Does anyone expect the Sylvester, Medjool, and Canary Island Date palms to survive? There are so many in the Houston area...

These are a block from me. Among the Oldest in CS. Even the Trachycarpus is 50 percent burn. They have many old palms, but it’s private property so I can’t go down lane to main house. Crown collapse in Robustas... 

03DDA990-24AC-4370-AEF5-CCE2B88E0739.jpeg

6B8247A9-BDBF-4801-A5B8-434E7B16D166.jpeg

7D470CDE-D43B-431D-9983-80AB88C6667E.jpeg

A4C12407-6C06-41C4-99FA-697530E27248.jpeg

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms

Sabal Birmingham.... in Wichita Falls, Texas. After -6. 

2780968E-2388-4AAB-BF1C-D079A201413E.jpeg
 

09309F93-0C0F-4FDC-B552-23EFB5A4FB81.jpeg

75343D1A-A459-45C0-A4F3-86673E1934E3.jpeg
 

Does this look like the real deal to you... according to owner: 

palm purchased at a facility called Alligator Alley, In Oklahoma City as a 5 Gallon plant. The owner told me he got the seed from a palm growing at a residence in Tulsa, Oklahoma. He also stated the resident owner got his seed from Woodlander's Nursery, who offered small packets of collected seed from the original palm, that was moved to the Birmingham Botanical Garden.

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NBTX11
3 hours ago, Fusca said:

Same scenario in San Antonio.  Anyone in the area who has doubts about what Washingtonias are planted can figure it out by driving around and observing the damage.  Filiferas typically have a grey/green color when healthy and currently have a full crown with some leaf damage which makes the leaves appear a light tan color.  The hybrid filibustas and robustas currently have dark brown leaves and many with crown collapse - particularly those that had been previously overtrimmed.  Robusta look the worst with crown collapse.

Exactly what I am seeing.

Super slender pure Robusta - Toast.  Most have crown collapse.  Some might have one or two fronds still upright.

Hybrids - Range from having completely full crowns to full crown collapse.  Most still have at least a few fronds upright.  Some more than others.  The thicker the trunk, the better it looks.  I've seen thicker hybrids with full crowns still.

Filifera - All have full crowns.  Leaf damage which makes them look tan, but none appear in danger of dying.  Crowns still look full.

Sabal Palmetto -  There was a freeze?  What happened?  

Edited by NBTX11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JohnAndSancho
1 hour ago, Collectorpalms said:

Sabal Birmingham.... in Wichita Falls, Texas. After -6. 


75343D1A-A459-45C0-A4F3-86673E1934E3.jpeg
 

Does this look like the real deal to you... according to owner: 

That. Is. Impressive. 

 

Absolute unit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Merlyn
On 2/22/2021 at 11:59 AM, romeyjdogg said:

Here are my three palms (Jubaea x Butia hybrid and 2 Sabal Palmettos).

PXL_20210214_002009706.jpg

Are those a new Baobab-Sabal hybrid?  :D

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
amh

Has anyone been to Kerrville since the freeze?

I'm wondering how all the palms off of 27 are doing.

7136696_Screenshot_2021-02-28GoogleMaps.thumb.jpg.de5bd54b89a78b4914ddc7df81633d02.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...