ahosey01

Palmageddon Aftermath Photo Thread

amh
35 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

Woah, a Queen Palm, then a washy washy sabal sabal med washy washy. Exception a few nice CIDP.  Since I live here, I can say it. Texas Coastal cities are SO uninspiring. Boring. Constant fear of Hurricanes and floods, very few plants thrive along the Texas coastal towns. In over 20 years, I have spent the night in Galveston, Corpus, RGV exactly once each. The humidity isnt worth the extra 5-10F in winter. Only place worse for plants is probably my soil and city water. Galveston was much more lush prior to Hurricane Ike that killed off most of the plants from salt water. Now it looks no different than that video. And 2018 and 2021 Killed off all the zone 9b palms, except right in the lower RGV.

I'm not a beach person, but I agree. I think the problem is actually a lack of creativity and availability. I rarely buy plants and seeds from Texas because they are not available; even when its a native species.

If people want to be different, they will find a way to deal with wind, soil and water.

joetx
12 hours ago, Xerarch said:

I'd say 90% survival in and around town in Corpus, most here look like nothing ever happened, in fact, many of them have grown so full that the landscapers have already come and hacked them back to only a few fronds :blink:.  I'd also say it does seem to be worse north of here at all Portland/Rockport etc

Agree with this. When I drive through Corpus it looks like the majority of Robusta recovered. Port Aransas is the same. About 90%.

• Like 1

DreaminAboutPalms

Austin, TX in a nutshell

-Perfectly recovered CIDP

-Group of 3 Filiferas or Filifera dominant hybrid, all 3 initially came back now 1 is biting the dust

-Random thin trunked robusta hybrid attempting to come back still 

B594475F-6522-467F-839F-FE8A69497191.jpeg

0626CEC7-8541-4CEA-BEEC-277B4245333B.jpeg

14047F2A-A3CB-4E13-B96D-6A048D073D10.jpeg

729E705D-8AA1-450E-A511-2B7530BADED5.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

DreaminAboutPalms

Found this Video of ocean drive in Corpus Christi. Not much difference than rockport video but good to see they are replacing the dead ones 

• Like 4

Xenon
13 minutes ago, DreaminAboutPalms said:

Found this Video of ocean drive in Corpus Christi. Not much difference than rockport video but good to see they are replacing the dead ones 

Thanks for sharing; that looks A LOT better than Rockport imo as expected with CC Bay to the north. 

Xenon

"Pure" or almost pure (>90% to my eyes?) Washingtonia robusta at its western limit in the Houston Area, about 15 miles west of downtown (I-10 and Eldridge).

PXL_20220112_221616883_MP.thumb.jpg.777daaff3ed9e8ffb46c15b2ab7cfd8e.jpg

"Robusta passing" (80-90%? robusta?) palms at their western limit about 20 miles west of downtown near I-10. 

PXL_20220112_205937027_MP.thumb.jpg.6b8c9ed76a722a458492082940c6714b.jpg

Anything that looks about "3/4 robusta" recovered much faster and look like nothing happened 

• Like 4

Cade

They have internal damage causing the small crowns …? Is that going to be present till they die or what it’s so disappointing 

Xenon
4 minutes ago, Cade said:

They have internal damage causing the small crowns …? Is that going to be present till they die or what it’s so disappointing 

No they'll grow out of it. The newest leaves are already increasing in size. Not that different from overzealous "shuttlecock" pruning. 

• Like 2

kinzyjr

I know there were some disagreements over what the actual low might have been in Brownsville.  While I tend to lean toward using NOAA data, the Weather Channel records tend to agree with @oliver's experience on the ground of not going below 24F.  When I post the combined data from the various threads on the Palmageddon: The Final Inventory thread for review by the folks on the ground, I'll use 24F for the Brownsville observations.

20210201_WC_BrownsvilleFebFreezeWeather.jpg

DreaminAboutPalms

A dactylifera in a median is still trying to come back here in North Austin. By metric/Braker lane area. Receives no care 

D8972748-9D2A-4B73-9D00-2AB919593122.jpeg

• Like 3

Cade

I’m afraid that Dacty is dead … most that looked like that by now in Houston are dead or dying usually the fall over . 

DreaminAboutPalms
8 minutes ago, Cade said:

I’m afraid that Dacty is dead … most that looked like that by now in Houston are dead or dying usually the fall over . 

I have no hopes that it will survive long term, but it appears to be trying. It has been pushing out fronds, short stunted ones but still green nonetheless. Not a great pic but it’s put out 8-10 this years We are also in big drought which doesn’t help because it gets no irrigation being in center of road. It came back in May, then started to look worse mid summer when then started looking better again in past few months 

Edited by DreaminAboutPalms

Xerarch
15 minutes ago, DreaminAboutPalms said:

I have no hopes that it will survive long term, but it appears to be trying. It has been pushing out fronds, short stunted ones but still green nonetheless. Not a great pic but it’s put out 8-10 this years We are also in big drought which doesn’t help because it gets no irrigation being in center of road. It came back in May, then started to look worse mid summer when then started looking better again in past few months 

Hope or no hope, it ain't over until those green fronds dry up

• Like 1