IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palmageddon Aftermath Photo Thread

ahosey01

I hope it continues as well.  The same is happening in the RGV.  I have seen quite a few royals and some Foxtails showing green.  There are two huge royals at the Mercedes outlet mall that are recovering.  At least I saw some green from the interstate.

Here are the two I'm talking about from above.1130291931_Screenshot_2021-05-12-06-56-372.thumb.png.25583dedd97d881e1d9b866bf1e1a47f.png

Here is another view from the ground obviously before the freeze.Screenshot_2021-05-12-06-55-23.thumb.png.655f18e40d6abe69a49ed7aaf37ad9d7.png

I hope they fully recover.  They are beautiful palms and are massive.

Edited by Reyes Vargas
  • Like 6

Dates at the fairmont austin downtown are coming back. They are facing south but a few stories up so definitely experienced colder than what rest of Austin downtown saw. They seem to do well here. The ones outside Neiman Marcus at the domain are coming back too which someone posted in here Monday. 

E33964CA-7353-4DA4-9D53-3EFCA9D1ACAF.png

FA39CD36-CE35-45AC-8A76-81527A07B3C0.png

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DreaminAboutPalms said:

Dates at the fairmont austin downtown are coming back. They are facing south but a few stories up so definitely experienced colder than what rest of Austin downtown saw. They seem to do well here. The ones outside Neiman Marcus at the domain are coming back too which someone posted in here Monday. 

E33964CA-7353-4DA4-9D53-3EFCA9D1ACAF.png

FA39CD36-CE35-45AC-8A76-81527A07B3C0.png

Sweet!

Edited by joetx
  • Like 1

Today’s New Braunfels recoveries. Good looking Robusta like hybrid (or is it a pure Robusta?). 

71F01CDF-0823-4098-8E81-560132630EBA.jpeg

Edited by NBTX11
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

It’s strange. I’ll see a group of 4-6 Robusta and one or two of them will be recovering, while the others appear dead. Why didn’t they all recover. They came from the same place and planted at the same time. 

626920BF-E88B-4316-AA20-A15A182CD4E5.jpeg

• Like 5

Another group of two Robusta recovering, while the remaining 2 or 3 (not pictured) appear dead. 

48392FBE-BF62-4F0B-B7F7-CC981E917976.jpeg

Edited by NBTX11
  • Like 3

All the canaries coming back like crazy though. Why aren’t these planted by the thousands around here. I mean there’s a lot, but there should be more. 

B533D76F-A918-4149-A17C-354B5A9881B3.jpeg

• Like 7

Wow! CIDP seem to be tough as nails once they get quite a bit of trunk and size in general. I guess the sheer girth/thickness of the trunk provides a lot of insulation and protection to the live bud inside. Even from a complete defoliation following 150-200 hours below freezing and a low of 0 to 5F they seem to be coming back in some places i.e. College Station. That's remarkable to see. Surely CIDP's should be at the top of people's planting lists now in these parts of Texas, along with Washingtonia Filifera.

Are there any decent sized CIDP's in DFW that are coming back from the freeze? If so, that will totally re-write the hardiness capabilities of this species. Once they have a few meters of trunk they must be amongst the hardiest of feather palms, when you also factor in their ability to handle the moisture, snow and ice too. Excellent recovery rates as well once it starts warming up. Big specimens can probably give Butia and Jubaea a run for their money in the hardiness department, even if CIDP will defoliate at a higher temperature. The CIDP's certainly recover better/faster. 

Smaller CIDP's are a different ball game entirely. Even in London's suburbs some of the smaller ones with barely any trunk have been lost in bad winters (2010 and 2018), while the bigger ones barely get touched or come back with ease. I can't see any of the big ones around London getting knocked out by a freeze now, if they have come back from 150+ hours below freezing and lows close to 0F in Texas last winter. It's just the smaller ones without much trunk that are vulnerable, so size is clearly everything with CIDP's. Protection when young may be vital to growing them long-term in marginal areas. Once they get that trunk size and girth, the growing bud is heavily protected it seems. 

• Like 2

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

I don’t know how they do from 0F, it got to 9 here with 107 hours below freezing, almost 4.5 days. All recovered, if any outright died I haven’t seen any in my area.  Some are slower to recover than others but all seem to be putting out green. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

A neighbor of mine has a sago that is flushing right now, the plant is over a 100 feet away from any building and was completely exposed to the north. The temperature was below zero and the plant has survived. Big zone push!

• Like 3

NBTX11 yes I'm seeing all the canariensis back here in west Houston. About 90% of robustas are back as well now. Some are barely showing green today. I wanted to plant canariensis but I had them in El Paso and when they were little they are nice and cute (compact) then they get HUGE. I dont want to sacrifice space in my yard for just one palm and also they are thorny. They are beautiful though. I really like them. I made the mistake of planting three next to my mother's pool and now they are so big she is worried about them damaging it. But I've read their root systems are harmless. I do agree that they should plant more canaries in Houston though, they look so lavish and luxurious when they are large.

• Like 1

Blurry pic cuz rain but this is a big thick canariensis coming back in north austin off Braker and 35

F4A7DD50-030A-4BF5-B824-377AEADC2ABD.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ivanos1982 said:

NBTX11 yes I'm seeing all the canariensis back here in west Houston. About 90% of robustas are back as well now. Some are barely showing green today. I wanted to plant canariensis but I had them in El Paso and when they were little they are nice and cute (compact) then they get HUGE. I dont want to sacrifice space in my yard for just one palm and also they are thorny. They are beautiful though. I really like them. I made the mistake of planting three next to my mother's pool and now they are so big she is worried about them damaging it. But I've read their root systems are harmless. I do agree that they should plant more canaries in Houston though, they look so lavish and luxurious when they are large.

There's a lot of Robusta coming back here also.  Not 90 percent, but a lot of them.  A lot more that I thought there would be a months ago.  I find new ones recovering every day, and some of them just started to recover halfway into May.

• Like 2

Saw this guy pushing a new leaf. Completely unprotected at an apartment complex near the corner of Westheimer and Voss in Houston.

PXL_20210516_211000422.jpg

PXL_20210516_211039231.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, thyerr01 said:

Saw this guy pushing a new leaf. Completely unprotected at an apartment complex near the corner of Westheimer and Voss in Houston.

PXL_20210516_211000422.jpg

PXL_20210516_211039231.jpg

a lot of people got rid of their queens too quickly after the freeze. If they would have waited a lot more would be coming back.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2021 at 4:26 PM, NBTX11 said:

I don’t know how they do from 0F, it got to 9 here with 107 hours below freezing, almost 4.5 days. All recovered, if any outright died I haven’t seen any in my area.  Some are slower to recover than others but all seem to be putting out green. 

As I stated earlier in some of these Texas freeze threads,  El Paso saw nearly a 100% recovery of CIDP's on back to back  nights of 3f and 1f.  Actually below zero in many parts of town. I even documented unprotected CIDP recovery from below -10f!

Sadly I was shot down by one or more of your fellow Texan(s).   

I will also again state, I saw a washingtonia not show any green after -10f until July 4 in 2011. It continues growing today!

Best of luck you guys. 

You will be armed with knowledge after your event.  Use it!

Edited by jwitt
Add pic/fix wording
  • Like 1

Speaking of queens recovering in Houston.......

These are in the Heights.  11th and Yale area.

queens.jpg.7b02a8ec772f820a03f6f538a3983295.jpg

• Like 8

This Phoenix loureiroi var. humilis lost all its leaves and looked dead dead but is trying to come back. Now I sorta regret digging out a Phoenix sylvestris and a canariensis x robellini... but I was also tired of their thorns.

IMG-0326.JPG

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jwitt said:

As I stated earlier in some of these Texas freeze threads,  El Paso saw nearly a 100% recovery of CIDP's on back to back  nights of 3f and 1f.  Actually below zero in many parts of town. I even documented unprotected CIDP recovery from below -10f!

Sadly I was shot down by one or more of your fellow Texan(s).   

I will also again state, I saw a washingtonia not show any green after -10f until July 4 in 2011. It continues growing today!

Best of luck you guys. 

You will be armed with knowledge after your event.  Use it!

Have you got a Google Maps location for the CIDP’s that came back from -10F (-23C)...? That’s insane if true. The bigger ones in College Station have only just come back from 4F (-15C) and 7 days/nights below freezing.

I would have said that the absolute limit for CIDP’s survival would be about 0F (-17C). Even then you would probably still get 95% losses in the best of locations with good warm-up.

I have heard of mature Trachycarpus Fortunei being killed outright by 5F to 0F, so I find it hard to believe that a CIDP can take -10F. If so, that is re-writing the hardiness capabilities of this species. 

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

This recovery is going a lot better than I thought it would a month ago. The canary island dates are unbelievably hardy. Robusta are coming back in good numbers. Unbelievable based on what it looked like in March and early April. Back in March, it looked like someone took a torch to every palm outside of Sabal palmettos. 

Edited by NBTX11
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

Have you got a Google Maps location for the CIDP’s that came back from -10F (-23C)...? That’s insane if true. The bigger ones in College Station have only just come back from 4F (-15C) and 7 days/nights below freezing.

I would have said that the absolute limit for CIDP’s survival would be about 0F (-17C). Even then you would probably still get 95% losses in the best of locations with good warm-up.

I have heard of mature Trachycarpus Fortunei being killed outright by 5F to 0F, so I find it hard to believe that a CIDP can take -10F. If so, that is re-writing the hardiness capabilities of this species. 

Colder than -10f with an east wind. Palms face east. Alamogordo, NM 2/3/2011.   

5 minutes ago, jwitt said:

Alamogordo saw -11f to -15f. Depending on area of town. Palms are not against the building either.  

39 minutes ago, jwitt said:

8 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

At the fish and chips place

FB_IMG_1475251279809_2.jpg

• Like 1

None, (Zero %) Washingtonia Robustas did not survive in north and central Texas with ultimate lows of what El Paso experienced in 2011. 
All these reports are of Washingtonia palms surviving 10-15F. We are not even in the same ball park.

Even most Filifera are dead in Dallas and it was only in the lower single digits. Canaries survived in El Paso, but so did Jubaea. 

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

1 hour ago, Collectorpalms said:

All these reports are of Washingtonia palms surviving 10-15F. We are not even in the same ball park.

P.Dact -5f

Canary- near 100% survival @0f

Some survivors below -10f

Robustas- -5f

Filifera- below -10f

North Texas was mostly robustas free after 2/2011. And again today.

Gonna go with the length of freeze due to lack of solar and barb wire vs terrain

8 hours ago, NBTX11 said:

This recovery is going a lot better than I thought it would a month ago. The canary island dates are unbelievably hardy. Robusta are coming back in good numbers. Unbelievable based on what it looked like in March and early April. Back in March, it looked like someone took a torch to every palm outside of Sabal palmettos. 

Hard to believe Robustas are recovering from temperatures in the mid single digits - but I'm glad to hear it!

13 hours ago, strongbad635 said:

Speaking of queens recovering in Houston.......

These are in the Heights.  11th and Yale area.

queens.jpg.7b02a8ec772f820a03f6f538a3983295.jpg

Amazing to see Queens come back from the mid teens. Good to know Houston will have some around.  Microclimate, thick trunks and maybe some natural cold resistance may have helped things out.

7 minutes ago, Sabal_Louisiana said:

Hard to believe Robustas are recovering from temperatures in the mid single digits - but I'm glad to hear it!

I didn’t get to mid single digits. Was around 9-10 but yeah there are quite a few recoveries. 

Does anyone know of any Robusta survivors in Austin?  No one has posted any from what I remember. Or is New Braunfels the hard cut off line. 

Edited by NBTX11

11 hours ago, Sabal_Louisiana said:

? Mid single digits Robustas Recovering where?

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

12 hours ago, jwitt said:

P.Dact -5f

Canary- near 100% survival @0f

Some survivors below -10f

Robustas- -5f

Filifera- below -10f

North Texas was mostly robustas free after 2/2011. And again today.

Gonna go with the length of freeze due to lack of solar and barb wire vs terrain

My queens and all my robustas survived 2010,2011, 2018. So Houston only had 1 Afternoon day below 32*F. It’s nothing like El Paso 0F. The conditions and results above are for El Paso, not here. Houston got off with a warning slap. 

You can’t compare climates. You can’t even compare cities in the same freeze because varied considerably.

Edited by Collectorpalms

11 hours ago, Sabal_Louisiana said:

Amazing to see Queens come back from the mid teens. Good to know Houston will have some around.  Microclimate, thick trunks and maybe some natural cold resistance may have helped things out.

Mine survived 14*, and 17F multiple times. Just wait, in 2-4 years you will see whole sections of the pseudo bark rot off

Edited by Collectorpalms

19 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

My queens and all my robustas survived 2010,2011, 2018. So Houston only had 1 Afternoon day below 32*F. It’s nothing like El Paso 0F. The conditions and results above are for El Paso, not here. Houston got off with a warning slap. 

You can’t compare climates. You can’t even compare cities in the same freeze because varied considerably.

Agreed.

But I know CIDP's saw and survived 0f with what is a nearly 100% rate.  I also know of CIDP's that survived below -10f. 

Yeah DFW saw near zero also. They never had much CIDP, and the few that were there, never really looked full and healthy. 

Learn the differences, make wise choices!

Fact remains, some palm hardiness has been vastly rewritten from what was thought to be known and believed.

We can compare known temperatures tho.

P.s. try to not pick a weather station on a bridge over flowing water. You lose every time.

Eastern/New Katy on I-10

20210518_113304.thumb.jpg.5a7add72e686f84edfb1d0bdc5f4fdcc.jpg

Looks like robusta wipeout in Brookshire, old Katy, Fulshear, and north Richmond. Started seeing a few survivors further south in Rosenberg (pictured). Caldwell Nursery has a ton of $$$ specimen cycads right now along with triangle palms and 95 gallon mules.

20210518_134123.thumb.jpg.af0d3498ea5f27e8261754b227218fe3.jpg

• Like 4

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Butia seemed to be the last to show life but I’ve seen multiple coming back this month. The one pictured probably saw 4*F NW of Austin. I saw a group of 3 Phoenix Canariensis showing green growth in Kingsland, Texas. That area probably saw 3*F I meant to snap a photo on my way back through but ended up going a different way.

7B008CC5-7686-4F8C-9EC6-1DD20F54259D.jpeg

5CDEA22E-4E67-4924-82F4-BC420C51EE76.jpeg

• Like 2

I wasn’t giving up on my palms till Memorial Day, wow that is fast approaching and it’s not looking good for any miracles.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

I wasn’t giving up on my palms till Memorial Day, wow that is fast approaching and it’s not looking good for any miracles.

I still see first signs of green pushing on stumps of a L. Chinensis and a C. Humilis

3 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Here is a nice miracle. I gave my dad a Kentiopsis Oliviformis last year. When the front came he threw housing insulation on top of it. The weather map showed his area saw about 15*F. After seeing it in person I told him no chance. He luckily ignored me, dug it up, and put it in this pot. Here it is 3 months later.

0409E5D9-E005-47F6-B6D9-397DFD29E7FD.jpeg

• Like 3

Here's a few in-ground survivors from my yard. All of these were unprotected but are so small that the ground/mulch surely helped them survived.

First picture: I had two K. Oliviformis in the ground of similar size to Daniel's. Both are coming back.

Second picture: I believe this is a E. whitelockii. I got it as a small seedling. Need to move it somewhere else.

Third picture: This is Lanonia dasyantha (sp?) I believe. I had two others that probably died.

Fourth picture: This is a Lytocaryum hoehneii (sp?). I had a lot of these in-ground. My biggest one (five feet tall) is probably dead. Of the one's this size, probably five or more survived. I dug out a few too early. :(

Other things without pictures:

C. microspadix took a lot of damage. The plants under the eaves of our house mostly survived and are putting out new leaves. The ones that were exposed died. I had a nice clump and am sad about this. 

C. radicalis is a mixed bag. I have one large trunkless plant that looks flawless. I have/had two trunking ones - one died, one survived. I regret not digging them out. I have tons of seedlings that initially looked dead, but most are coming back.

I had one small C. oreophilia that didn't loose its leaf but also hasn't grown any since the freeze. We'll see.

A small Dypsis pembana lost its main stem, although there may be some new growth coming out below where I cut. There is a smaller stem coming out from the base.

I left one 3 gallon sized Beccariophoenix alfredii out. Looks to be dead dead.

IMG-0336.JPG

IMG-0340.JPG

IMG-0341.JPG

IMG-0342.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, necturus said:

IMG-0341.JPG

Is that Neoregelia spectabilis? Looks great! Did you protect it? 

Edited by Xenon

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)