IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palmageddon Aftermath Photo Thread

ahosey01

Our Royals are much smaller...although big enough where we cannot see whether there is growth or not at the top...too many dead fronds blocking our view.

Our Foxtails' spears are still erect, too...but same situation. My hubby got out a ladder this morning and climbed up a ways to give the smaller Foxtails' spears a pull. He pulled pretty hard and no one budged...but he could see no sign of growth.

This waiting is killing me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oliver said:

My Livistona carinensis. One of ?? In North America. I don't know of another living one! 

Nice! Fairchild has one 

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

3 hours ago, oliver said:

Do you know the sex of the one at Fairchild. Mine is a male

No, I don't know; haven't seen it in years. Shoot them an email! 

• Upvote 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

3 hours ago, oliver said:

Do you know the sex of the one at Fairchild. Mine is a male

6 minutes ago, Xenon said:

No, I don't know; haven't seen it in years. Shoot them an email! 

Listen to Jonathon!  :)  Maybe you can play matchmaker!

https://fairchildgarden.org/contact-us/

Jon Sunder

Pindo in Parker County protected with some Christmas lights in the crown...some hope at least! I am not sure exactly how cold it got here but it was 3F at the highest, -2F at the lowest. Dyckia fragrans protected with mulch and snow also survived, surprisingly!

1D14A3D4-DF8D-4143-8094-7BCD1C0852DF.jpeg

26E6B27B-D88E-42B2-9CAB-F2F460B44522.jpeg

E6BC1BD8-0602-4295-A927-2E1EE6C3BBE6.jpeg

02D17F05-A408-4243-84AC-0DAB7EE4271C.jpeg

04A81A85-A103-4A0B-87E1-A8E0A7040CF0.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Landscapers seem pretty optimistic about this Sago recovering. 

20210323_185425.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

PXL_20210222_165018163_MP.thumb.jpg.2cb99048108de3be36cf813621c57b4c.jpg

On 2/22/2021 at 10:59 AM, romeyjdogg said:

Here are my three palms (Jubaea x Butia hybrid and 2 Sabal Palmettos). Overall, not too bad considering we saw -1° air temp. Spears are still looking solid and green at the moment, but we'll see what happens over the next few months. Foliage on the Sabals is browning a bit, so I expect more of that considering the wind and temps it saw.

PXL_20210222_164444317.jpg

PXL_20210222_164750399.MP.jpg

PXL_20210222_164509027.jpg

PXL_20210222_164556352.jpg

PXL_20210222_165018163.MP.jpg

PXL_20210214_002009706.jpg

Well folks, I'm not completely ready to call it a success just yet, but my JxB (middle palm) has pushed two new fronds, and both Sabal spears have moved at least 4-6 inches since the freeze.

I wish I had a thermocouple of some sort near the spears to see how much my burlap, insulation, and Christmas lights raised the temperature. This is also the first winter they've been in the ground, so I'm guessing it raised the temps at least 10-15°.

Very promising indeed!

Edited by romeyjdogg
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

On 3/16/2021 at 10:26 PM, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

As I've posted in years past, Brahea armata are clearly more resilient than anyone gives them credit for.  It looks like all butia (except one purpurescens) and jubaea are dead. -3 killed them all. One wrapped yatay mule and one jxs appear that theyll make it but my larger hybrids look terminal. Another shocker is that I think my butia x parajubaea sunkha that was completely unprotected will live as well. 

20210315_092431.jpg

Is this picture the BxPJS?

Does anyone trust the Texas power grid to make any changes? As I had predicted,  I am finding that despite my protecting palms, they would have only survived if they had heat.

The implications is how do I plan for the next freeze? A generator requires gas, and I didn’t leave my house for 7 days due to snow on my driveway. We had rolling blackouts on my power grid for 3 days, the power was on no longer than an hour at a time. 

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

5 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Does anyone trust the Texas power grid to make any changes? As I had predicted,  I am finding that despite my protecting palms, they would have only survived if they had heat.

The implications is how do I plan for the next freeze? A generator requires gas, and I didn’t leave my house for 7 days due to snow on my driveway. We had rolling blackouts on my power grid for 3 days, the power was on no longer than an hour at a time. 

I've learned that a lot of people in my area have natural gas generators. No need to leave the house. Biggest disadvantage with them is the need for regular, costly maintenance. I've also heard of a decent number of people whose NG generators didn't work. Of course, if too many people buy them, during next disaster NG will go offline. 

If I had a lot of money to blow, I'd install a solar system with a couple Tesla batteries AND a NG generator. Then you'd really be set.

Did you have any sensitive palms that were still below ground? Everything I had that was below ground like seashore palms, C. radicalis, etc is pushing new growth. Most above ground stuff is dead. Really wish I had banked soil around more plants. Obviously won't work for a trunking palm.

One Chamaeropa humilis here (saw 9°f) has new growth on its largest trunk (~5-6’) but the smaller trunks still look dead.  Washingtonia filifera are all growing; robusta still look dead. 

On 3/26/2021 at 9:07 AM, necturus said:

I've learned that a lot of people in my area have natural gas generators. No need to leave the house. Biggest disadvantage with them is the need for regular, costly maintenance. I've also heard of a decent number of people whose NG generators didn't work. Of course, if too many people buy them, during next disaster NG will go offline. 

If I had a lot of money to blow, I'd install a solar system with a couple Tesla batteries AND a NG generator. Then you'd really be set.

Did you have any sensitive palms that were still below ground? Everything I had that was below ground like seashore palms, C. radicalis, etc is pushing new growth. Most above ground stuff is dead. Really wish I had banked soil around more plants. Obviously won't work for a trunking palm.

What is easier than soil is mulch .  It's lighter and easier to move around when cold is forecast . I protect the bottom of my trunking palms with mulch and sometimes cover the entire trunks of my   smaller palms  with mulch . After the cold snap it's easier to move away from the trunks too .

Will

• Like 1

Both of the big Livistona chinensis at my parent's place are pushing green! They saw a low of 12F unprotected, about 25 miles due west of Houston on I-10. They were planted around 2000 and haven't seen any supplemental water or fertilizer in at least a decade. One of them is even throwing an infloresence! Zone push is also in the ground :D

20210328_133141.thumb.jpg.978466654dd406adf98d557d77ddd43b.jpg20210328_133045.thumb.jpg.64a29aadd6b9ac3bb2c91a9893977a60.jpg

20210328_133208.thumb.jpg.f39651b1daf6ebcc54f67c0b23a03961.jpg20210328_133702.thumb.jpg.2d751edcb4bd1e686912f96319d07425.jpg

Edited by Xenon
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

One month's worth of growth on an 8-ft robusta in the Houston Heights area, lowest temp was 14f.  Photos taken exaclt 1 week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks, and 4 weeks after the worst day of the freeze.  This one is storming back to life!

IMG_3120.thumb.JPG.9f8f28a816a43a73cdfa06ac589653f7.JPGIMG_3351.thumb.JPG.b0ac3d5cc13504acf6f474e774209afb.JPGIMG_3429.thumb.JPG.5296ec7bad1b2d21e07b5b935f9cc32a.JPGIMG_3714.thumb.JPG.fb673189bd20c81d4cdffa03454bf583.JPG

Edited by strongbad635
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 4

New Braunfels, TX:

Big Winner - Sabal Palmetto.  Virtually no damage 6 weeks after freeze

Winner - Trachycarpus Fortunei.  Some damage, but big ones appear completely fine.

Winner - Sabal Mexicana.- Moderate damage, but a large amount of green.   Crowns look good 

Winner -  Washingtonia Filifera (PURE).  Heavy damage, but lots of green fronds appearing.  New fronds very healthy.

Slight Winner - Phoenix Canariensis.  Completely fried and defoliated, but new green emerging from center.  Virtually guaranteed to recover.  I feel like Dacty will recover too, but I haven't closely inspected that many.  I also know of a couple large Sylvestris that has crowns intact.  Wait and see game, but looks good so far.

Slight Winner - Chamaerops humilis.  Took heavy, heavy damage, but always retained some green in centers.  Emergent spears appear green, as well as many interior petioles.  Looks very positive.

To be determined - Washingtonia Hybrid.  Very slow to push any green.  Getting more worried.

TBD - Livistona Chinensis, although not planted in great numbers.  Will need to do more study on this one.

Loser.  Super thin trunked Washingtonia Robusta -  Death rate appears to be going up.  Would like to see some green being pushed before too long.

Edited by NBTX11
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, NBTX11 said:

I feel like Dacty will recover too, but I haven't closely inspected that many.  

Several years ago I remember there used to be a pair of P.  dactylifera at the old City Hall building across from the Comal County tax office.  Would you happen to know if they are still there and if so, how they fared?

Edited by mulungu

8 hours ago, mulungu said:

Several years ago I remember there used to be a pair of P.  dactylifera at the old City Hall building across from the Comal County tax office.  Would you happen to know if they are still there and if so, how they fared?

They removed them a few years ago. I have no idea why. Had nothing to do with cold. They were perfectly healthy and one day they were gone. Maybe they got tired of trimming fronds. 

5 minutes ago, NBTX11 said:

They removed them a few years ago. I have no idea why. Had nothing to do with cold. They were perfectly healthy and one day they were gone. Maybe they got tired of trimming fronds. 

Aww, that's a pity.  Those were beauts when last I saw them.  Hope the other ones scattered around town recover.

• Upvote 1

Does showing signs of flowering mean that a palm has survived Palmageddon or is it possibly the last gasp of a dying plant?  Below are photos of a Veitchia and Foxtail in my neighbors backyard.  Both look better than they did immediately after Palmageddon, but neither seem to be returning to form real fast.  Both are however showing inflorescense pods.  I think that both are slowing growing, but is hard to be sure as they are both in someone else's yard and would require a ladder to mark to be sure. Picture 3 seems to show a little new growth on the foxtail, but hard to be sure.  Thoughts?

On a side  note.  The Scaveola plumerii that was planted around the island over the last several years, seems to have survived by the skin of its teeth. Pix 4 shows new growth from the stump/largest branches.  These plants were 5-6 feet tall on 2/15/21. Landscapers came out and cut almost all down to the ground. 

And on a happier note, a coconut seedling that I planted in November (yes I know I should not have done it, but it was such a warm winter until February) seems to have survived as well.  Picture 5 shows new growth emerging from where I trimmed all the dead fronds back.  I also have some Carpentaria seedlings doing the same.  Very surprising!

There is/was a decently sized Pandanus here which sustained severe damage.  Almost all of the branches have been cut back severely by the owner to remove the dead leaf blades. For those with experience with Pandanus and cold damage; can the plant be expected to grow new leaf blades from these branches if the bigger wood of the branches is still good? Or will the plant most likely start sprouting new branches from the base like  ponytail palms often do after cold damage? Pic 6 shows the pandanus with cold damage before it was cut on.

IMG_1969.JPG

IMG_1952.JPG

IMG_1967.JPG

IMG_1965.JPG

IMG_1958.JPG

IMG_1864.JPG

Edited by Austinpalm
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

Haven't been on PT in ages.....Wow Texas :(

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

On 3/26/2021 at 2:02 AM, Collectorpalms said:

Does anyone trust the Texas power grid to make any changes? 

Depends on how all the lawsuits go. I'm really fortunate in that all of my palms are potted, so I brought them in - and me and my dog holed up in the hotel I manage. The hotel never lost power due to us being so close to the hospital...

Have you jumped on any class action suits against ERCOT? 

I'm adding Phoenix Canariensis to the winner list.  When I was driving around today, every single one I saw, that had been trimmed back to show the spears, was pushing green.  And I saw quite a few.

10 minutes ago, NBTX11 said:

RGV people, how are those Royal palms looking.  Are they pushing green fronds yet?

Yes, see page 15. I've been chatting with some people in the RGV and it seems like most medium/larger royals are pushing green. Some younger royals with just a few feet of trunk are also pushing in Brownsville and towards the coast. 

• Like 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Most that I have seen are not doing anything.  I will say that a lot of them are dead.  There is one in the Weslaco area that I saw just a couple days ago that is starting to push a new green frond.

3 minutes ago, Reyes Vargas said:

Most that I have seen are not doing anything.  

That sounds like our Robusta.  I examined about 20 or 25 Robusta today and saw ONE that was pushing green fronds today.  Hopefully more follow, but I am not counting on it.  Filifera look really good though (all healthy ones are pushing lots of green).

Edited by NBTX11

1 minute ago, Reyes Vargas said:

Most that I have seen are not doing anything.  I will say that a lot of them are dead.  There is one in the Weslaco area that I saw just a couple days ago that is starting to push a new green frond.

There seems to have been a pretty steep dropoff in temps away from the US-83 corridor.  A lot of semi-rural/rural areas north of there probably got into the teens. I'm curious to see how things are looking near town in Edinburg. 

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

1 hour ago, MesquiteRetreat said:

None of our Royals are pushing green...still have my fingers crossed, though.

I'm surprised that yours aren't pushing yet.  There is one in Weslaco that is pushing a new frond already.  It's a nice tall probably 30ft tall (I'm not good at judging hight).  I would not give up on yours just yet.  If the crown starts to collapse then you'll know it won't make it. 

End of March update from Dallas about February’s super freeze of 3F with 240 hours below freezing. 
At this time many tall Washingtonia have collapsed crowns. About 1/2 still retain the dead foliage but not any green growth. In a normal year several new fronds would have been produced by this time. One filifera in my garden not growing near any structure and un protected  is growing. It is the exception. 
All defóliated tall Trachycarpus are producing leaves and flowers in my garden.  Most of my large sabals are not growing. Both my Sabal lisas are putting out new growth as their previous green leaves turn brown. C. Humilis cerifera putting out new growth. Undamaged palms  with no or few brown leaves includes. Sabal minor, r. Hystrix, s. Birmingham, s. Brazoriaensis. S. Louisiana. These plants should be used as foundation plants for any zone 8 garden.  My large b. Armata still has some green. 

396B9AB0-A342-45F0-B459-1B35FFD7DBE5.jpeg

E7B2054E-5291-44F4-BDA7-8CCFA45EBBA7.jpeg

B2DF4269-9957-46F4-AD36-682BFB283DC0.jpeg

70C43DCF-2D62-45A5-9AD6-795D20495546.jpeg

7A894A79-4C88-412A-B098-8FE41F8E70D8.jpeg

33D33445-B304-43AA-9FBF-CCA9993989F6.jpeg

6F2AC55D-8F60-4969-A423-4FC97BA6CDD4.jpeg

0D7D2860-34D4-4D04-B0FA-7CD4F7E52E87.jpeg

2DD67E4D-FA4E-4471-BF0C-D9BB9F2DA532.jpeg

EC257CA2-F123-4247-96D1-7565E2FE52C4.jpeg

0916955F-C288-483A-98D9-6C69DDE41916.jpeg

635CD59A-FC8D-420C-9948-0805D1FE0335.jpeg