IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palmageddon Aftermath Photo Thread

ahosey01

I am not a "weather guy" and my name is not Mr Collectorpalms. Your wrong again.

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Relax everyone. I’m just glad to finally have some updated shots of Oliver’s palms, including his Tahina. I’d like to see those pictures more often.

Oliver is just teasing us. I wonder how the Clinostigma or Carpoxylon are doing...or the Microcycas or the Livistona carinensis :winkie:

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

4 hours ago, necturus said:

How did you cut it?

Just used a regular hand saw that I treated with bleach beforehand.

3 hours ago, amh said:

Hopefully everything survives.

I have a question, has Daconil and other chlorothalonil fungicides been difficult to buy in San Antonio lately?

Thanks Aaron.  I haven't noticed lately, but when I bought the Daconil several months ago it was the first time seeing it for sale locally.  Hadn't really looked very hard though.

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

5 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Just used a regular hand saw that I treated with bleach beforehand.

Thanks Aaron.  I haven't noticed lately, but when I bought the Daconil several months ago it was the first time seeing it for sale locally.  Hadn't really looked very hard though.

I was curious because the fungicides have been unavailable in my area for about a year now. I managed to get the last bottle at a tractor supply, but haven't seen any stores restocked.

Carpoxylon and Clinostigma died in the middle of the summer last. Either my sprinkler system not working in the middle of the driest hottest part of the year, OR Covid?? My Microcycas have dead leaves, but I am confident they will be OK. L. Carinensis has all green petioles and I think I see some green central spears up top, but it is too tall to look at closely. I think it's ok. I was worried about my C. Macroglossa and C. rigida but after work today noticed the spear starting to open green.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, amh said:

I was curious because the fungicides have been unavailable in my area for about a year now. I managed to get the last bottle at a tractor supply, but haven't seen any stores restocked.

I can check my local Tractor Supply if you need me to. I dunno exactly how far you are from me. 

The irony is, I've been feeling self pity for living in an apartment and not being able to plant any of my palms, but they were all safe because I could drag them all inside. 

• Like 1

Most of my green Encephalortos cycads have brown leaves, but no evidence of caudex damage. The only blue one I protected was my really valuable super special, only a dozen or so in the US one. It looks fine. All the other blue Encephalartos look great. All Dioons look fine.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I can check my local Tractor Supply if you need me to. I dunno exactly how far you are from me. 

The irony is, I've been feeling self pity for living in an apartment and not being able to plant any of my palms, but they were all safe because I could drag them all inside. 

I have a years supply and its readily available online, but I was just curious as to why chlorothalonil wasn't available in my or surrounding area.

There is no ban or recall that I know of.

The funny thing is that my potted palms are some of the hardiest plants that I'm growing.

Edited by amh

1 minute ago, amh said:

I have a years supply and its readily available online, but I was just curious as to why chlorothalonil wasn't available in my or surrounding area.

There is no ban or recall that I know of.

Easy peasy. Just looking out for my fellow Texans. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

An archived look at observations from Cameron County on MesoWest shows the following minimum temperatures reached on February 15:

It is interesting to see just how many stations reached exactly 23 degrees

South Padre Island C.G. Station PCGT2 23 degrees

Port Isabel NOS-NWLON station and official NWS station at Port Isabel Airport: both 23 degrees

AirNow Station in Brownsville AN473 23 degrees (an hourly reading; station located just south of Gateway intl Bridge, sw corner of UTRGV)

CWOP Station Brownsville 23 degrees (station located little over mile NW of Gladys Porter Zoo)

Also, according to Weather Underground The 2 PWS stations closest to the center of town measured 24.3 (as shown in the previous post) and 23.4 degrees.

• Like 2

Sabal-La, those numbers jibe with what we've seen on the ground. Especially for SPI and Port Isabel. Were they affected by wind chill. Here is something I just got by googling weather record for Brownsville. This seems more realistic. No way the surface temp was even close to 23 here!

Screenshot_20210301-213554_Samsung Internet.jpg

Perhaps some of these weather stations were elevated well above ground level such that they were affected by the strong winds. Again, there was zero ground frost and no ice on the Brownsville roads from what I saw. 

I have 2 Lufft xc 200 thermometers and I was up pretty much all night monitoring my valuable cycads that I protected. I do notice that when a wind gust hits, the temperature does drop 2 to 3 degrees, but when I protect the sensor, temp goes back up, reflecting the still air temperature.

• Like 1

Will take a picture of the Beccariophoenix tomorrow. Tips of fronds are brown, but I am sure it is Gucci as my son says. It was unprotected at the end of my side driveway on the north side of my house, so it got fully hammered by the wind.

• Like 1

Found this video of the Lago Mar neighborhood in Texas City. Not sure why it’s in Spanish.
Makes me sad, I actually was thinking about moving there. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jake said:

Found this video of the Lago Mar neighborhood in Texas City. Not sure why it’s in Spanish.
Makes me sad, I actually was thinking about moving there. 

They aren't talking about the palms. They really like the homes.  

8 hours ago, Jake said:

Not sure why it’s in Spanish

That's funny.  It's in Spanish because that's what they speak.  @PricklyPearSATC is right, they are just saying that the houses are so beautiful and big.  You can really see all the damage to the palms in that video.

Edited by Reyes Vargas
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Watch another one of the lady’s YouTube video. San Luis Resort looks eerie with the sea fog and brown Date palms and collapsed shinny-busta. On Galveston there are going to be many bad plant outcomes. 

She had no idea she was filming a murder in these videos. Great for prosperity. 

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 2

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

West Bay-Offats Bayou (near the I-45 causeway and Moody Gardens) is actually warmer than ,most of the commercial beachfront or downtown/the East End as the north wind passes over the bay vs the core of the island or Pelican Island. Check out the Washingtonia and date palms 

Edited by Xenon
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

According to the NWS, Galveston didn't even drop below 20°F. It takes much less than I thought to create a "murder."

4 minutes ago, AnTonY said:

According to the NWS, Galveston didn't even drop below 20°F. It takes much less than I thought to create a "murder."

Scholes Airport is the warmest spot on the island and briefly touched 19F for an hour. I would wager that most of the island got colder and for a longer duration, especially as the wind died down. 

But even 19-20F is carnage for an island that was probably 30-50% upper 9b/zone 10 plants. Moody Gardens probably looks like a nuclear zone right now. 

Edited by Xenon
  • Upvote 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

14 minutes ago, Xenon said:

Scholes Airport is the warmest spot on the island and briefly touched 19F for an hour. I would wager that most of the island got colder and for a longer duration. 

The NWS local data page still lists 20°F as the low for Scholes on 2/16, with 21°F the day before. I checked the COOP station, but that doesn't seem to have been decommissioned.

I wonder how much Galveston was affected by the power outages? I've noticed quite a few stations throughout Texas missing some data values because of that. 

14 minutes ago, Xenon said:

But even 19F is carnage for an island that was probably 30-50% upper 9b/zone 10 plants. Moody Gardens probably looks like a nuclear zone right now. 

Yep...

Edited by AnTonY

Just a minor update from Austin (9°, maybe slightly less):

sabal minor still flawless

Trachycarpus still flawless

sabal mexicana and palmetto have varying amounts of leaf damage

all Washingtonia foliage is completely brown, and some have already been cut down

Chamaerops leaves are brown & crispy but I noticed lots of green at petiole bases, so they’ll be interesting to watch if they aren’t all removed

Common cycads (I assume they’re all C. revoluta) leaves are all brown, mostly removed by owners (leaving the trunk only).  One specimen that was against a building, almost beneath a patio roof, AND covered, and which was not visibly damaged at the time they first uncovered it is now mostly yellowish.

Edited by CTho
  • Like 2

WOW! Can you count all of the brown royals? I got this pic from IG, looks to be somewhere in the McAllen Area

205324804_royalpalmsburnt.JPG.11f28980e58718d6518ffc560ca1980c.JPG

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Before and after photos of the juvenile Bismarckia nobilis at UltraVision off I-10 (Exit 555 - Dominion Exit) in NW Bexar County, Texas.  They wrapped it pretty good during the recent freeze event.  Fronds still showing a lot of silver and stiff petioles.  No spear pull, and spear still stiff.  Mostly burns on the edges of the fronds.  I am optimistic that it will make it.

Mid-January 2021:

image.thumb.png.48c29cd727de2cadaad62b7bbbdfbeb8.png

image.thumb.png.97d0b0723be77c73be2c7f3ff7f2ed95.png

Late February 2021:

image.thumb.png.9d96236abdbf251fe7539567380b037d.png

image.thumb.png.2c89e32081ffa2d6dcfc13f27d3ce403.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Unified Theory of Palm Seed Germination

image.png.2a6e16e02a0a8bfb8a478ab737de4bb1.png

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

DISCLAIMER: Working theory; not yet peer reviewed.

"Fronds come and go; the spear is life!" - Anonymous Palmtalker

4 hours ago, Xenon said:

WOW! Can you count all of the brown royals? I got this pic from IG, looks to be somewhere in the McAllen Area

205324804_royalpalmsburnt.JPG.11f28980e58718d6518ffc560ca1980c.JPG

You can tell it is the McAllen area by the giant opulent home that probably cost like $89,000.

• Upvote 1

Does anyone here remember how the outcomes were with washingtonia over at El Paso/Las Cruces after 2011? I believe there were survivors, of both robusta and filifera, even after multiple days of highs in the teens, with lows in single digits, even sub-zero.

2 hours ago, ahosey01 said:

You can tell it is the McAllen area by the giant opulent home that probably cost like $89,000.

:floor::floor::floor:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnTonY said:

Does anyone here remember how the outcomes were with washingtonia over at El Paso/Las Cruces after 2011? I believe there were survivors, of both robusta and filifera, even after multiple days of highs in the teens, with lows in single digits, even sub-zero.

Variable. Basically, native El pasoans' rated robustas with supplemental water survived. Others died.  This pic is from Las Cruces showing robustas and a date palm that survived the -5f recorded a couple blocks away.

20170815_152810-1.jpg

20170815_152929-1.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ahosey01 said:

Geez those solar panels alone are bigger and probably more expensive than my whole house!

• Like 2

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

39 minutes ago, jwitt said:

Variable. Basically, native El pasoans' rated robustas with supplemental water survived. Others died.  This pic is from Las Cruces showing robustas and a date palm that survived the -5f recorded a couple blocks away.

20170815_152810-1.jpg

20170815_152929-1.jpg

Yes, but how bad were these palms looking after the freeze, and did any of them have crown collapse.  Were there crowns intact.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, jwitt said:

Interesting. I know many on here say that the "dry climate" and such is much better than the "wet cold." But, I do recall many sources regarding the event that stated the presence of snow and ice in El Paso - not sure about Las Cruces (the NWS data for the snow day was letter "M" for missing). Not only subzero in some of those areas, but highs for quite a few days didn't even get above 20°F! Quite a feat in that area!

Anyways. As you say, there was high variability, even amongst the same species. I guess we won't really know the full tallies until later this summer. Hopefully people don't act prematurely...

Edited by AnTonY

2 hours ago, AnTonY said:

My mom still lives in West El Paso and she has two robustas that are very tall and three filibustas. All made it fine after the 2011 freeze. The crown completely collapsed like I see many palms now here in Houston. But they slowly grew leaf by leaf through the summer. She even has a chamaedorea radicallis that I planted for her in 2010 and it's still alive... barely making it the poor thing but it's there. It's sheltered on a corner. Many other robustas around the city did not make it though. There was even an article in the El Paso Times about how "palm trees dont want to live here". it was so dumb... it made the city not use palm trees in landscaping after that article. Some of those robustas bent at the stem it was surreal. Others fell on top of homes and cars. It was a palmageddon lol but many survived. Filiferas were untouched. The city had six huge ones at the central Lagartos plaza but removed them and planted trees.

Edited by Ivanos1982
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, Ivanos1982 said:

My mom still lives in West El Paso and she has two robustas that are very tall and three filibustas. All made it fine after the 2011 freeze. The crown completely collapsed like I see many palms now here in Houston. But they slowly grew leaf by leaf through the summer. She even has a chamaedorea radicallis that I planted for her in 2010 and it's still alive... barely making it the poor thing but it's there. It's sheltered on a corner. Many other robustas around the city did not make it though. 

Very interesting.

26 minutes ago, Ivanos1982 said:

There was even an article in the El Paso Times about how "palm trees dont want to live here". it was so dumb... it made the city not use palm trees in landscaping after that article. 

That's what I fear will happen across Texas in the aftermath of this event. Hopefully, people will get a taste of the sabals before such conclusion...

• Like 1