IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palmageddon Aftermath Photo Thread

ahosey01

I transplanted this Majesty double that survived 5f unprotected. Found it in the dead palm garbage at the neighbor's house. 

20210617_074532.jpg

20210617_074547.jpg

Edited by Teegurr
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, Swolte said:

Sifting through garbage now, eh... :hmm:

Yeah, nothing else in the garbage though, just (mostly) dead palms! I was astonished when I saw the alive Majesty at the top of one of the trash bags.

It had to be given a second lease on life. If I can do that successfully is another question!

• Like 3

On 6/15/2021 at 10:55 PM, NBTX11 said:

Someone posted this video on YouTube a few weeks ago in May (not me).  Stuff is further along now, but this will give you an idea about a month or two ago.

As I have stated, almost all Washingtonia in downtown SA appear to be recovering, including a high percentage of thin trunked Robusta and Robusta-like hybrids.  The pencil thin Robusta in the last scene of this video appears to be recovering. 

When I checked about 6 weeks ago, there were large numbers of recoveries, I will need to get downtown to see for myself again soon.

Enjoy.

San Antonio Texas River Walk Palm Trees 2021 - YouTube   

Impressive recoveries. Makes me jealous up here in Austin 

• Like 2

Not sure if anyone else has seen this, but right by the Oasis Restaurant that first super big house with all the Washingtonias... one of the thin trunked Robusta/hybrid was just pushing out its first frond yesterday when I drove by. By far the thinnest trunked Washingtonia Ive seen recovering in Austin and there of all places? at the top of a hill 500ft above lakeshore with no wind protection?. One of the filifera hybrids has nearly a full crown on same property, but several other robustas are lifeless.

Edited by DreaminAboutPalms

10 hours ago, Teegurr said:

I transplanted this Majesty double that survived 5f unprotected. Found it in the dead palm garbage at the neighbor's house. 

20210617_074532.jpg

20210617_074547.jpg

Nice Save! you know what they say 

Another mans trash....

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, EJ;) said:

Nice Save! you know what they say 

Another mans trash....

Thanks! It was lucky - now I have to deal with the dog pulling it up. Oh well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DreaminAboutPalms said:

Not sure if anyone else has seen this, but right by the Oasis Restaurant that first super big house with all the Washingtonias... one of the thin trunked Robusta/hybrid was just pushing out its first frond yesterday when I drove by. By far the thinnest trunked Washingtonia Ive seen recovering in Austin and there of all places? at the top of a hill 500ft above lakeshore with no wind protection?. One of the filifera hybrids has nearly a full crown on same property, but several other robustas are lifeless.

I've seen this all over.  A house will have 4 or 5 Robusta, and some will be alive and some will be dead.  I've seen this all over actually.

2 hours ago, DreaminAboutPalms said:

Impressive recoveries. Makes me jealous up here in Austin 

Yes, there seems to be a big difference between San Antonio and Austin.  At least downtown SA.  The recoveries slow down as soon as you get out of SA.

3 hours ago, NBTX11 said:

Yes, there seems to be a big difference between San Antonio and Austin.  At least downtown SA.  The recoveries slow down as soon as you get out of SA.

How does the wider central area of San Antonio look? Outside of the Riverwalk microclimate? 

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Generally speaking, has anyone seen people replace their dead palms with new palms? Or have they just been ripping them out. I'm trying to get a sense of how scared people generally are about replanting with palms after this big freeze. It would sure make me sad to see yards that used to have 4 or 5 tall robusta now completely palmless. 

3 minutes ago, DreaminAboutPalms said:

Generally speaking, has anyone seen people replace their dead palms with new palms? Or have they just been ripping them out. I'm trying to get a sense of how scared people generally are about replanting with palms after this big freeze. It would sure make me sad to see yards that used to have 4 or 5 tall robusta now completely palmless. 

From what I've seen, queen and pygmy date palms are flying off the shelves in Houston. 

• Like 2

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

10 hours ago, Xenon said:

How does the wider central area of San Antonio look? Outside of the Riverwalk microclimate? 

Pretty good actually. Lots of tall thin Robusta recoveries everywhere downtown.  All the hybrids recovered. Once you leave downtown the recoveries start going down some. By the time you get to the northeast side out to New Braunfels, the Robusta recoveries are a lot more hit and miss. Still, even there, most of the hybrids recovered. And of course all of the Filifera and Filifera leaning hybrids recovered everywhere. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Teegurr said:

Thanks! It was lucky - now I have to deal with the dog pulling it up. Oh well.

maybe put a screen around it? and above it? I have chickens and they are quite curious. While they dont eat my palm trees. they enjoy digging around newly disturbed areas. 

Putting chicken wire around it stops my chickens.  mIght stop your dog too?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Xenon said:

From what I've seen, queen and pygmy date palms are flying off the shelves in Houston. 

I have been looking for queen palms to replace two that I lost of the five that I have and yes, none left only really large ones which I don't wanna spend on because they grow so fast that they will get that size in a couple years.

1 hour ago, EJ;) said:

maybe put a screen around it? and above it? I have chickens and they are quite curious. While they dont eat my palm trees. they enjoy digging around newly disturbed areas. 

Putting chicken wire around it stops my chickens.  mIght stop your dog too?

It does stop my dog. He loves palm trees. Thanks for the advice!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ivanos1982 said:

I have been looking for queen palms to replace two that I lost of the five that I have and yes, none left only really large ones which I don't wanna spend on because they grow so fast that they will get that size in a couple years.

The orange store on Westheimer in Memorial had plenty of one gallon queens 2 weeks ago. Further west on I-10 is fully stocked too. 

• Like 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Here is your San Antonio update for June 18, 2021.

Downtown (inside the I37, 90, I35 loop.  Robusta 80% recovery.  Filifera and Hybrid Washingtonias 100% (or extremely close to it).  A lot of Robusta are flowering.  Don't worry, if you visit downtown or the Riverwalk, you are going to see palms everywhere still including the tall, thin ones downtown SA is known for.  Based on what I thought was going to happen back in March, things are really good.  The south side of SA (Hwy 90) looks really good to.  High Robusta recovery rate.

Inside Loop 410, 40-50 percent Robusta recovery.  Hybrids and Filifera still close to 100 percent.  Definitely gonna notice some deaths, but still tons of recoveries, including thin ones.  

Outside of Loop 410 and NE suburbs, Filifera and medium trunked hybrids still essentially 100 percent.  Thin hybrids and Robusta maybe 30 percent although I did see a row of thin trunked hybrids and about 16 out of 18 or so were recovering, on the far NE side.  More hit and miss the thinner the trunk although still a lot of recoveries.

Edited by NBTX11

Queen behind Buchanan's near town in Houston continues to recover. A group of 5 trunking Bismarckia a few blocks down weren't looking so good, but only one of them is keeled over. If any are alive, they are slowwww to open leaves.

20210616_111417.thumb.jpg.af0315ce5897b2042b4ca5ff0e11075f.jpg

• Like 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

North Austin, thin trunked hybrid on left just now pushing out its first frond of year. This is the thinnest hybrid I’ve seen recovering north of the 183

BD09FC33-85F0-4991-8293-18D173E7A01B.jpeg

• Like 1

Where I am in North Austin, north of the 183 this is how most of the recovering hybrids/filiferas look. They seem to be putting out a few small deformed fronds before pushing out fresh ones 

FC7F8B90-104B-4167-8E7F-3AC286E3D16E.jpeg

59C20F36-0FF8-4166-A0D6-CAE7303CC2EE.jpeg

• Like 1

This is at top of hill right at stop sign where you turn left to go to the oasis and right to go to hippie hollow. Livistona chinensis?

2DF51588-21F3-4D9A-AC68-3AFB964BFC5C.jpeg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DreaminAboutPalms said:

This is at top of hill right at stop sign where you turn left to go to the oasis and right to go to hippie hollow. Livistona chinensis?

2DF51588-21F3-4D9A-AC68-3AFB964BFC5C.jpeg

I don't see livistona chinensis anywhere.  What palm are you talking about.  The only palms I see are filifera/filibusta a sabal and pygmy date palm.

1 hour ago, Reyes Vargas said:

I don't see livistona chinensis anywhere.  What palm are you talking about.  The only palms I see are filifera/filibusta a sabal and pygmy date palm.

I thought so too at first glance but trunk looks slightly different and fronds have the same look as livistona 

71676CFE-BB91-4042-9769-D5F6199ECFDD.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyDFW said:

Mid June and here are some of the palms recovering from last winters 3F in Dallas. 

2396D302-D812-4A40-896E-6E8A8C0A8F71.jpeg

A5A9F17F-4A2E-450B-84E1-F5CF0821B140.jpeg

C472E90B-71BB-4D22-A505-1A1C6F346715.jpeg

5B8C7D59-9AEC-4ED8-B25A-ABE927B061C3.jpeg

37A4D79A-B7CC-46B2-BC71-89EC250CFA97.jpeg

DB426C25-FAB4-41B1-97D7-F2B49673513D.jpeg

0B56472C-8E9D-40E9-A4B7-B8F41A6C0E65.jpeg

D5F268DE-D5A5-4886-A1B4-91229CA10D92.jpeg

186603A1-367F-41CD-A51A-F691F663364A.jpeg

E8AB4B24-4535-4FA6-91E8-16123E8958A5.jpeg

1855B507-58E4-48A0-8CF8-D1E49D93DFA4.jpeg

73984FC2-B2BF-47D8-B88E-569844AF5A2A.jpeg

1A6EEF55-ACF6-4FCB-9EFD-CF969C15BE7B.jpeg

CF50923F-0DF3-436C-B9D6-3F499214B958.jpeg

EE80D4E2-F7A5-492C-8533-69BACF5C309D.jpeg

E3424B8D-8492-4710-A313-20CEA6E8EEA8.jpeg

897742D9-20B9-4F24-A9CB-420773BAA343.jpeg

Impressive recoveries, what would you estimate the overall recovery rates to be of sabal palmettos, sabal mexicanas? And have there been any filifera recoveries? 

More North austin recoveries (the area between mopac and 35 north of 290). The Dactylfera in the median didn’t push any growth until a week ago. Pure filiferas have nearly fully recovered,50/50 hybrids have put out average of 3 fronds. Robustas/thin trunked hybrids at about 3% from what I’ve seen. Phoenix canariensis have all recovered great here, one of better looking species across central Texas right now 

2A04D9B4-739A-4CBD-9795-D3EDD95B2220.jpeg

ED16A07F-1682-42EF-954D-8A9EFF23A69C.jpeg

FB963D9F-02E6-4363-A98D-A924C1952052.jpeg

EF34D2C1-A94A-40A0-8006-A05015120294.jpeg

FC93A232-82E7-4159-B80D-ABE28CF5C540.jpeg

• Like 1

P terry’s off mopac and braker. One of the thinnest survivors. 10 others on property no showing any life 

D18D1153-7C1C-41B7-BB40-ECFDBECAC9D6.jpeg

• Like 1

Pic taken this morning. Not palm trees..... but do any of y’all have this many bare oak trees where you live? This is more noticeable than palm deaths here in Austin. Looks like first week of March 

FF88CB4F-7B36-43AE-901C-8C60152C8E38.jpeg

Wow, those oaks... hope they come back.

A couple Houston observations:

The only Bismarckia leafing out are my two little palms. I know probably a half-dozen trunking Bismarckia showing no signs of life. The big ones at the apartment complex in the med center were taken out. At least one of the Caldwell palms is gone. The proximity of their heart to the ground definitely made the difference. I hope the bigger ones will pull out of it. 

Recovery on Mexican olives and Japanese blueberries is extremely variable and seemingly not dependent on location. In the same yard you can see one leafing out from the main trunk and another that looks completely undamaged. The undamaged ones are rare - good genes.

3 hours ago, DreaminAboutPalms said:

Pic taken this morning. Not palm trees..... but do any of y’all have this many bare oak trees where you live? This is more noticeable than palm deaths here in Austin. Looks like first week of March 

FF88CB4F-7B36-43AE-901C-8C60152C8E38.jpeg

I've seen some live oaks here that were neglected and in pretty bad shape from the drought or infected by oak blight prior to the freeze.  Single digit temps either killed them outright or severely damaged them.  

Jon Sunder

On 6/17/2021 at 5:51 PM, NBTX11 said:

Surprised the San Antonio video I posted didn’t get more comments. Come on guys step it up. 

Thanks for posting the update from the River Walk. I'm impressed how much is coming back, have even seen more robusta now on the move.  In certain parts of the city I'd say more than 50% are alive. 

31 minutes ago, ChrisA said:

Thanks for posting the update from the River Walk. I'm impressed how much is coming back, have even seen more robusta now on the move.  In certain parts of the city I'd say more than 50% are alive. 

Downtown it’s like 80 percent. Other areas of the city are like 40-60 percent, but yeah a lot are recovering. I’m seeing palms still put out their first frond now. 

Edited by NBTX11
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Fusca said:

I've seen some live oaks here that were neglected and in pretty bad shape from the drought or infected by oak blight prior to the freeze.  Single digit temps either killed them outright or severely damaged them.  

These aren't even live oaks. These are all zone 5 deciduous oaks. Pretty much every street in my area there will be at least one 60-80 year old oak or maple tree completely leafless. Has to be from the ice

1 hour ago, DreaminAboutPalms said:

These aren't even live oaks. These are all zone 5 deciduous oaks. Pretty much every street in my area there will be at least one 60-80 year old oak or maple tree completely leafless. Has to be from the ice

One of my 2 Ash trees only leafed out 50 percent this year.  It looks pretty bad.  The other one leafed out 90 percent or so, can hardly tell there is anything wrong with it.   

3 hours ago, DreaminAboutPalms said:

What type of oaks?

The large Quercus fusiformis in my area took extra time to leaf out after -F, but they have returned.

21 hours ago, DreaminAboutPalms said:

P terry’s off mopac and braker. One of the thinnest survivors. 10 others on property no showing any life 

D18D1153-7C1C-41B7-BB40-ECFDBECAC9D6.jpeg

So glad one of these survived. I wonder if P Terry’s plans on replacing the dead ones at all their locations. 

I'm really anxious to see if places replace all their dead ones, and also which kinds they replace with. So far I haven't seen hardly any removed

Im worried that in the central texas area people are going to start using sabals more than washingtonias after this year, not that I dislike sabals per say, but washingtonias grow so much faster and get so much taller and stand out so much more

Edited by DreaminAboutPalms
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, amh said:

What type of oaks?

The large Quercus fusiformis in my area took extra time to leaf out after -F, but they have returned.

I'm not sure, I know ash trees got hit pretty hard though. Driving around, pretty much every block you will see non-palm deaths. TONS of dead hedge shrubs in commercial areas. Arborists think a good portion of these deciduous trees are dead in Austin.