IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Quick cool/cold hardy comparison during a long, cool winter

ruskinPalms

Hi all. I know this is always a topic of discussion: cool/cold hardiness. I haven’t officially gone below freezing yet this year and I’d estimate my lowest low so far has been 35F or so, but it got cool a lot earlier this year (November) and has been the coolest winter since I have lived at this house. Some palms are definitely better at handling prolonged cool with the winner being A. cunninghamiana and the loser being Adonidia. Several species in these pics to compare. 

95BF8301-57B2-43E9-9605-64DF8D7B6B59.jpeg

9CB2B7D4-9385-41E6-9171-DA32648FCDDA.jpeg

7E0A2BC3-F56C-4946-9E70-A2495A67FC97.jpeg

• Like 1

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Well let me clarify, the winner for pinnate palms in my yard is A. cunninghamiana. The Bismarckia and Rhapis are tougher lol

• Like 1

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Its been a warm winter in terms of lows, but yes the length of the cool season and number of sub 55 degree nights has been un usually high.  I think 39F was our low here.  The cocos down the street are all yellow, we had some high winds too that frazzled some royal leaves.  What palms like this weather?  My butia x Jubaea prefers it, Beccariophoenix Alfredii is quite lush looking as are the kentiopsis oliviformis and satakentia luikensis.  Here is my smaller Kentiopsis opening a new leaf in the cool weather.  Alfredi are also opening new leaves but against the foggy sky the pic is washed out. Lil_Kentiopsis2020.thumb.jpg.ea89ec7994de97c937d05994f218b05b.jpg

• Like 4

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

I definitely need to try a Kentiopsis and a Satakentia. And I’d also like to give Clinostigma savoryanum a try too. I haven’t tried some other things out because I have been trying to not get too carried away and over plant my current yard like I did my last yard. But, that will probably only last so long and I’ll have a mini jungle again soon :D

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Welcome to California! haha Same here, limited to no frost at my place, but it's been cool and wet since November (50s/60s for highs). Archontophoenix will take prolonged cool conditions, they grow beautifully in maritime climates like in San Francisco. My biggest surprise has been coccothrinax bohridiana - a small seedling seem to have taken cool and wet rather well. Another surprise it a handful of 1 year Roystonea borinquena which appear to be holding up just fine. Copernicia baileyana just hates it.  

• Like 1