IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

warm n cozy

Palmlover_78

I was wondering, does soil temp really have any huge affect on Christmas Palm trees indoors?

Thanks a lot :D

It could. Adonidia are quite cold sensitive/cool sensitive and that includes the roots. If they are subjected wet, cold soil, they will rot. If you keep the pots indoors I assume the soil temp is pretty much the same as the air. So, what is the room temp? Adonidia are quite tropical and want heat, sun, humidity. Ideally, you give them daytime highs over 80F and nights over 65F. But if you are keeping your house under 70F during the day and let it fall below 60F at night, they probably won't make it. Northern houses are too cold, too dark and too dry to grow tropical plants without extraordinary care to reproduce the warmth, high light and high humidity they require,

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

One thing to be aware of up North is that the air on the floor can be much colder than the air near the thermostat which is typically placed on an interior wall in the center of the heating zone. Outside walls (and particularly windows) drop cold air so you really don't want potted palms on the floor under windows during winter months. There are many old homes that are really cold and drafty even though attempts have been made to insulate them better. Those built using balloon construction techniques are particularly cold & drafty IMO. If the home has plaster over slat walls rather than sheet rock (gypsum wallboard) it probably wasn't insulated very well at all when built.  I'ma stop babbling, but @PalmatierMeg is right so keep the palms up off the floor in the warm air and not in front of a cold air return if you have a hot air furnace..

• Like 1

PalmatierMeg

My living room is about 18-21 degrees C. I have lots of light and grow lights. I can warm it up if i need to. I have a Windmill and a couple of Crotons that are literally jumping out of there pots.

5 hours ago, Palmlover_78 said:

PalmatierMeg

My living room is about 18-21 degrees C. I have lots of light and grow lights. I can warm it up if i need to. I have a Windmill and a couple of Crotons that are literally jumping out of there pots.

That’s chilly for an Adonidia long term

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.