IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

CFPACS Seed Bank Sale

kinzyjr

logo.jpg.6e97146f86a634b6f762b355a19b4040.jpg

The Central Florida Palm and Cycad Society seed bank has been updated.  Want to get a jump on spring?  Order today! 

Please visit http://cfpacs.com/org/seeds-for-sale/ for ordering instructions:

202102101951_SeedBank.png.7b0296a5238f59cc0e0a5cba2bd45b17.png

• Like 7
  • Upvote 3

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Sold out of a few things - that was quick - an updated inventory:

image.png.c967215e7e7904be566803ff3be7f4e9.png

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

11 minutes ago, floridaPalmMan said:

Everything I dont have is >8b :(

I'll at least pose the question - is there anything in particular that you are hunting for that, if we happen to come across it, would make a good inventory item?

Lakeland, FL

Dicteocaryum lamarckianum 

Sabinaria magnifica

Manicaria saccifera 

Hemithrinax ekmanii:badday:

Marojejya Damiani

Licuala ramsayi

Copernicia fallaensis

Copernicia cowellii

Pritchardia viscosa:floor:..

• Like 1

Jeremy, have you taken over running the seed bank now? Just curious since I have extra seed I can donate once in a while.

Warrior Palm Princess, Satellite Beach, Florida

18 hours ago, Frond-friend42 said:

Dicteocaryum lamarckianum 

Sabinaria magnifica

Manicaria saccifera 

Hemithrinax ekmanii:badday:

Marojejya Damiani

Licuala ramsayi

Copernicia fallaensis

Copernicia cowellii

Pritchardia viscosa:floor:..

I’m not sure any of these will be likely to show up on this list. @kinzyjr could certainly advise whether they might be available, but I don’t recall seeing any of these for sale.

• Like 1

@NatureGirl Thankfully, my responsibilities end at being Membership Chair currently.  Basically: outreach, recruiting and communication.  If you (or others) have seed to donate, please contact our coordinators at: Theseedbank@yahoo.com

@Frond-friend42 I can't promise anything up front since I don't collect and donate the vast bulk of our seeds, but I will make sure this list ends up in the right hands.  @Johnny Palmseed is probably right that we're more likely to find a winning Powerball ticket than collect 10 seeds of some of those, but having the list in mind helps greatly.  Sorry about the Hemithrinax.

Double-check the list below to make sure I got the correct species names:

Copernicia cowellii
Copernicia fallaensis
Dictyocaryum lamarckianum
Hemithrinax ekmaniana
Lemurophoenix halleuxii
Licuala ramsayi
Manicaria saccifera
Marojejya darianii
Pritchardia viscosa
Sabinaria magnifica

Lakeland, FL

Yes,  Jeremy. That's the power-ball list. Thanks for taking an interest. I had misspelled some and you have them all correct here. 

Though I think these are mostly tropical. P. viscosa is subtropical (Kauai) may be a little hardier.

Still, you've got some good ones.

Happy hunting, 

Ben

On 2/11/2021 at 10:26 PM, kinzyjr said:

I'll at least pose the question - is there anything in particular that you are hunting for that, if we happen to come across it, would make a good inventory item?

Dypsis decipiens :)

the only cold hardy palm with a green crown. Im actually surprised I dont see them mentioned more often here.

Edited by floridaPalmMan
  • Like 1

I've sent 2 emails for some seeds with no reply.  Are they all sold out?   Interested in the Carpinteria 20/$5 and the Chamaedoria tepejilote 10/$5.  Thanks

52 minutes ago, palmhort said:

I've sent 2 emails for some seeds with no reply.  Are they all sold out?   Interested in the Carpinteria 20/$5 and the Chamaedoria tepejilote 10/$5.  Thanks

They probably have the email but it’s not a business. It’s a volunteer organization so you might have to wait a few days for a response.

23 hours ago, palmhort said:

Both of the coordinators work full-time and volunteer as @Johnny Palmseed mentioned.  If it goes past this weekend without a response, PM me please and I'll see what I can do to help.

Lakeland, FL