IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coldest Temperatures since the Arctic Outbreak of December 1989

Collectorpalms

@Meangreen94zYes, austin on up to north texas will see lower than forecasted temperatures tonight. Houston and San Antonio will get nuked along with us again Tuesday morning.   There is absolutely zero heat island effect happening. The Wundermap for DFW south to austin is brutal. Just 2-4 degrees difference on average. 

• Like 1

Yeah, it’s dropping by the minute. Forecast now shows 6*F overnight, which was the off and on predicted low for tomorrow night. It would be interesting if this ends up being the colder night. Atleast locally. 

I hope so but I doubt it. It's amazing that it's this cold with cloud cover and snowing.  If we had clear skies (as forcasted tomorrow night) we'd be in worse shape. 

• Upvote 1

The forecast for both Houston and Galveston has gone up.Houston shows 18-19*F both nights, Galveston 26*F. It would be nice if atleast they get spared 

Strangely Corpus Christi is currently colder than Houston, and the overnight low tonight is now equal at 19*F. I guess the front shifted slightly.

The weatherchannel forecast. It showed 11-14*F for tomorrow night, earlier today, but has slowly risen. It shows the current temperature in Houston is 29*F, but Corpus is already down to 26*F. Both show an overnight low of 19*F now. Houston shows 18*F tomorrow night.

Accuweather shows an overnight low for Leander of 12*F, but then displays the current temperature is 10*F? They forecast tomorrow night as 3*F.

GFS has been too warm by 2 degrees for several days. 

Cold water texas, it’s -15, all time record for state of Texas is -23 1899. 1930

82967DC2-0EB3-4F62-B9D8-FBD8DF8B1185.png

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

1 minute ago, Meangreen94z said:

Accuweather shows an overnight low for Leander of 12*F, but then displays the current temperature is 10*F? They forecast tomorrow night as 3*F.

Tomorrow night is was scares me, hoping to stay above 0.

3 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

GFS has been too warm by 2 degrees for several days. 

Cold water texas, it’s -15, all time record for state of Texas is -23 1899. 1930

Maybe tomorrow night it will be broken.

Edited by amh

1 hour ago, Jcalvin said:

Most of the people around here plant the palm that naturally grows here- the Sabal Palm. You do see tall robustas in places, but not in abundance.  They weren’t widely used as a landscaping plant in the smaller cities (Savannah, Brunswick, Saint Mary’s, Valdosta, Charleston...) until the last huge construction boom in the early 2000’s. But there are some around. 
You’re comparing two historically huge metropolitan areas- Jacksonville and Houston- to smaller cities that never had that huge growth explosion- both industrial, commercial and residential-  until the last 30 years or so (besides maybe Savannah and Charleston, but I contend they used the Sabal because it’s native and of its graceful appeal with the Live Oaks and Magnolias). 

We do have some older Sylvesters scattered across the SE- inland up to 40 miles. They’ve survived the coldest weather for decades. We’ve vacationed in Destin and further east towards Biloxi going on 30 years. I can’t tell you accurately how many times they’ve had to replant dead Sylvesters, but I can tell you it’s been at least twice during that time. 

Take a look at the thread someone posted in the main forum about what is (was) growing in Houston.  There are large trunking Bismarckia in Houston (or were).  40 foot tall queen palms.  Majesty palms.  Tall pygmy date palms.  I could be wrong, I don't live in the SE, but from what I have seen, you don't find this stuff anywhere in Georgia.  There are large Royal palms in Galveston.  Again, were.  All of these are likely to be slaughtered, but the fact they made it a very long time gives you an indication of the normal climate there.  I am not trying to argue or split hairs.  The SE has a good climate also.  Central Houston has been a 9b zone for quite some time.  That came crashing down tonight.

3 minutes ago, Teegurr said:

Dactylifera at 17 degrees here in College Station.

20210215_001827.jpg

I might be more worried about the agave. Those palms might be tougher than one might suspect.  They sure look healthy!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

The forecast for both Houston and Galveston has gone up.Houston shows 18-19*F both nights, Galveston 26*F. It would be nice if atleast they get spared 

Strangely Corpus Christi is currently colder than Houston, and the overnight low tonight is now equal at 19*F. I guess the front shifted slightly.

Where are you seeing that? NWS has Galveston at 19 tomorrow night and Houston at 12.

1 hour ago, NBTX11 said:

Take a look at the thread someone posted in the main forum about what is (was) growing in Houston.  There are large trunking Bismarckia in Houston (or were).  40 foot tall queen palms.  Majesty palms.  Tall pygmy date palms.  I could be wrong, I don't live in the SE, but from what I have seen, you don't find this stuff anywhere in Georgia.  There are large Royal palms in Galveston.  Again, were.  All of these are likely to be slaughtered, but the fact they made it a very long time gives you an indication of the normal climate there.  I am not trying to argue or split hairs.  The SE has a good climate also.  Central Houston has been a 9b zone for quite some time.  That came crashing down tonight.

There are tall queen palms and pygmy’s here in Georgia. Some of them were toasted in 2018, and done if them are thriving again. Don’t think there is a huge population of people here zone pushing Bizzies here. There are a couple young ones on the islands, though. And, there’s a few Royals there as well. 

I don’t doubt Galveston’s climate, and I’m not knocking Houston’s. I just believe you’re not giving SE Georgia, especially the microclimates around the coast, a knowledgeable assessment. 

This debate with Houston and the SE has been going on as long as I can remember on this forum (this is my new profile). In fact, it was just talked about a few weeks ago. 

4C6A2C85-0EB7-4031-AD6F-800B191F1309.png

Edited by Jcalvin
  • Like 1

Currently(1am 2/15) 9*F in Leander and snowing. Underneath the cover on the left is an Agave Ovatifolia with a sacrificial Agave “Crazy Horse /Bothe”  holding down guard on top. One of my freshly planted Yucca Rostrata toppled from the weight of the ice. There is also 2-Yucca Rigida still in the ground and a Dasylirion. I covered a couple other large agave but don’t expect them to survive. Everything else is in the garage or on a patio surrounded by tarps. I have a heater on in the garage.

1C9BB5A8-67C4-4D48-B46C-5EAD87DB196D.jpeg

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Meangreen94z said:

Currently(1am 2/15) 9*F in Leander and snowing. Underneath the cover on the left is an Agave Ovatifolia with a sacrificial Agave “Crazy Horse /Bothe”  holding down guard on top. One of my freshly planted Yucca Rostrata toppled from the weight of the ice. There is also 2-Yucca Rigida still in the ground and a Dasylirion. I covered a couple other large agave but don’t expect them to survive. Everything else is in the garage or on a patio surrounded by tarps. I have a heater on in the garage.

1C9BB5A8-67C4-4D48-B46C-5EAD87DB196D.jpeg

Are you getting less snow than the last storm?

38 minutes ago, TampaPalms said:

Where are you seeing that? NWS has Galveston at 19 tomorrow night and Houston at 12.

Weatherchannel . Their forecast for Houston dropped back down to 15*F for tomorrow, but still 19*F tonight. Galveston still shows 25/26*F for tonight and tomorrow. 

12 degrees in North West San Antonio.  Low is forecast to be 11 degrees. 

Won't know damage until Wednesday at the earliest. 
Wish I would have covered by aloe on Saturday..(It's a hardy pass along...A. maculata,...)  I covered it today with an old insulated drape.
I covered the Mexican Olives as best I could.  I covered the base and spear of my Livistona chinensis this afternoon.  The livistona has enough cover that it did not have much ice on it this afternoon. 

I did not cover my cycads, sabals or med fan palms.  The sago palms will probably defoliate, but will survive.  The sabals will be fine. 

Pictures or from earlier, there is more snow now. 
I think the larger sagos were around in 1989, but they are also one of those protected entries. 

149254102_3891781657550880_3000266937207512714_n.jpg

149011649_3891781590884220_3597203991644684857_n.jpg

150223958_3891781794217533_3606450069628852328_n.jpg

Edited by PricklyPearSATC
  • Like 5

25 minutes ago, amh said:

Are you getting less snow than the last storm?

Last month was heavy flakes, this is an intense dust. At the rate it’s going there will be more accumulation. The wind is much more intense at times. I built a wall of heavy tarps around my patio and can hear them flapping constantly.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Jcalvin said:

There are tall queen palms and pygmy’s here in Georgia. Some of them were toasted in 2018, and done if them are thriving again. Don’t think there is a huge population of people here zone pushing Bizzies here. There are a couple young ones on the islands, though. And, there’s a few Royals there as well. 

I don’t doubt Galveston’s climate, and I’m not knocking Houston’s. I just believe you’re not giving SE Georgia, especially the microclimates around the coast, a knowledgeable assessment. 

Agree that extreme SE Georgia is very similar to NE FL. Solid 9a/b along the coast. Warmer overall than the FL Panhandle, with the Sea Islands from ~ St Simons and south being warmer than anywhere in the Panhandle.

SE Georgia only lacks high 9b/borderline 10a climates with water to the N/NW like you find along the south shore of Galveston Bay, Galveston Island, or on the south banks of the St Johns in Jacksonville. 

Edited by Xenon
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Already 18-19F Katy, 21-23F central heat island, 25-27F coast/bayfront

Power grid severely taxed, rolling blackouts have started. Outside looks like a scene from The Day After Tomorrow. Looks like Houston is doomed.

• Like 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

1 hour ago, Xenon said:

Thundersnow in Galveston

I'm truly surprised that it actually snowed with these extremely cold temps.  (At least by Texas standards)
I'm from Wisconsin.  Our South Texas  snows have always occurred at temps right around freezing.  Usually the atmosphere is dry when it gets this cold.

I was surprised on Thursday when they had the ice storm with 23 degree temps up in Ft Worth.

Usually the atmosphere is just too dry.

Oh well, I'm hoping the snow provides some insulation on top of  my plant coverings. (fingers crossed)

We also had a few thunder rumbles too. 

A few locals have also had rolling blackouts in the last hour

It has stopped snowing...But soon radiational freezing will begin...

San Antonio
Zone 8b/9a

Edited by PricklyPearSATC

I woke up to find the power is out. Hopefully shortlived, but it’s been out atleast an hour. Shows to be currently 6*F at 6 am

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Meangreen94z said:

I woke up to find the power is out. Hopefully shortlived, but it’s been out atleast an hour. Shows to be currently 6*F at 6 am

Same temp here in far north central San Antonio.  Lowest yard sensor 6*F,  with another at 8*F at 6 am. 

Hope your power comes back on soon. 

The survival of most things in my yard is doubtful as it is at this point, but if the power goes out here and electric lights shut off, that will be the coup de grace.

Thought this was supposed to be Valentine's Day, but it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas, everywhere you go!

yard artic blast 2-15-21.jpg

Edited by mulungu
  • Like 4

58 minutes ago, mulungu said:

Same temp here in far north central San Antonio.  Lowest yard sensor 6*F,  with another at 8*F at 6 am. 

Hope your power comes back on soon. 

The survival of most things in my yard is doubtful as it is at this point, but if the power goes out here and electric lights shut off, that will be the coup de grace.

Thought this was supposed to be Valentine's Day, but it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas, everywhere you go!

yard artic blast 2-15-21.jpg

Nice. Power is still out. It shows we are at 5*F as the sun rises. Accuweather shows 4*F for Leander. 

0A2EE8CB-C735-48A8-A85C-3A5BDB405FB9.jpeg

• Like 1

To the people that have had their power go out and temps are in the single digits, what is your INDOOR temperature? How long are the outages supposed to last? I hope you have fireplaces.

12 minutes ago, chinandega81 said:

To the people that have had their power go out and temps are in the single digits, what is your INDOOR temperature? How long are the outages supposed to last? I hope you have fireplaces.

I’ve heard 35% of Austin is without power, I’m NW of there. I’ve also heard of problems with natural gas. I’m in a new build, so it’s pretty well insulated. But there are some old homes in parts of Austin. I can only imagine the temperature drop in a 70-90 year old pier and beam home, over 3-4 hours. 

41 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Here are current temps.  Not much difference in temp from DFW to San Antonio.  

My goodness... :crying: