IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coldest Temperatures since the Arctic Outbreak of December 1989

Collectorpalms

1 hour ago, AnTonY said:

It's possible that they are referring more to the degree of temperature change/swing within a given time, rather than necessarily the magnitude of cold.

LOL, yeah I got a little excited, I like discussing weather.  Weird, I know.

Morning GFS goes for COLDEST EVER TEMP for HOUSTON-HOBBY Downtown (9F Hobby) Predicting 2 to 7 through the metro area. Galveston, College Station, Austin, Dallas, Corpus Christi all within 1 or 2 degrees from all time records. Some of those records go back to the late 1800s. 

gfs_T2m_scus_fh150_trend.gif

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Texas Two Step Winter Storms Now. GFS has added a second coastal sleet/snow storm for Wednesday night, in addition to Monday's - which is resulting in the above record cold in its wake. The GFS did not have this second storm much at all the previous model run.

gfs_ref_frzn_scus_fh132_trend.gif

gfs_ref_frzn_scus_fh198_trend.gif

Add the two up and 21 inches of sleet and snow predicted for coastal Texas. The first event is faster more sleet the second is slower with more snow over the north gulf. ( low is further offshore). 

gfs_asnow_scus_39.png

NWS in Houston is now discussing the real possibility of record temperatures, but not yet ready to put the extreme temps on their forecast.

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

The weather channel is starting to reflect some of what you are saying. Accuweather only shows 18*F for Sunday, otherwise mild in comparison

737E3671-98B1-421F-8E4E-ABD6739B060E.jpeg

53 minutes ago, Meangreen94z said:

The weather channel is starting to reflect some of what you are saying. Accuweather only shows 18*F for Sunday, otherwise mild in comparison

737E3671-98B1-421F-8E4E-ABD6739B060E.jpeg

10F, I would be happy with that. Good spring to start a fresh palm ranch for you in Leander. The RGV may be spared if you want to start with some bigger palms. Houston Garden Centers will do good business, they had their busiest year ever. I went in late fall, and they were sold out of almost everything ( healthy) for the first time. I wonder if they have their new inventory in already, probably do...oops You probably have no desire for anything they have anyhow.

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, AnTonY said:

I'm actually not sure how that GFS temperature gradient is physically possible.

Right now it has all the ingredients for what has happened in the past over zones 8 and 9s of Texas to break the Temp records. ( San Antonio was 1949 but got 14 inches of snow, this time, they are currently only getting a little, so they are sitting warm at 6 instead of  0F. ) So, getting every condition timed perfect will be a stretch, a 100 year event or so for the populated cities, that are now paved over and built up.  This last run is the MOST EXTREME Forecast for extreme lows since the 80s, no not 1980s, the 1880s... 

I think every weather nerd or meteorologist in Texas is a little dubious, shocked, or in actual shock.

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

Right now it has all the ingredients for what has happened in the past over zones 8 and 9s of Texas to break the Temp records. ( San Antonio was 1949 but got 14 inches of snow, this time, they are currently only getting a little, so they are sitting warm at 6 instead of  0F. ) So, getting every condition timed perfect will be a stretch, a 100 year event or so for the populated cities, that are now paved over and built up.  This last run is the MOST EXTREME Forecast for extreme lows since the 80s, no not 1980s, the 1880s... 

I think every weather nerd or meteorologist in Texas is a little dubious, shocked, or in actual shock.

The potential is there for this event to go into the books. But, that temperature gradient in the GFS is almost a 70°F difference between the coldest areas and places eastward! Something is definitely going to give with that differential.

Edited by AnTonY

3 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Morning GFS goes for COLDEST EVER TEMP for HOUSTON-HOBBY Downtown (9F Hobby) Predicting 2 to 7 through the metro area. Galveston, College Station, Austin, Dallas, Corpus Christi all within 1 or 2 degrees from all time records. Some of those records go back to the late 1800s. 

gfs_T2m_scus_fh150_trend.gif

After seeing what this did in TN last week I call total BS on this model.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

29 minutes ago, Allen said:

After seeing what this did in TN last week I call total BS on this model.

Just an FYI, someone mentioned how my yearly average snowfall is zero, but got 6 inches already this winter. The GFS had it right. So I am not sure what happened in TN last, I wasn't following it to give a rebuttal or how off it was, Ill take your word, but I always have had reasonably good luck trusting my own instinct. I haven't said what I believe, just what the situation is as it relates to life/death for cold hardy palms for Texans right now. So Far, the trend in the models is going colder, and actually not verified cold enough so far. As better data is put into the models they get closer to getting it right as the time ticks down, and they are trending exceptionally cold.

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Collectorpalms said:

Just an FYI, someone mentioned how my yearly average snowfall is zero, but got 6 inches already this winter. The GFS had it right. So I am not sure what happened in TN last, I wasn't following it to give a rebuttal or how off it was, Ill take your word, but I always have had reasonably good luck trusting my own instinct. I haven't said what I believe, just what the situation is as it relates to life/death for cold hardy palms for Texans right now. So Far, the trend in the models is going colder, and actually not verified cold enough so far. As better data is put into the models they get closer to getting it right as the time ticks down, and they are trending exceptionally cold.

All it takes is a shortwave out west... 

Edited by AnTonY

17 minutes ago, AnTonY said:

All it takes is a shortwave out west... 

For a good meteorologist, You have to be smarter than the models and you adjust, and you do that by researching past events, and knowing the limits.  

I have normally only used 0z and 12z. 

Edited by Collectorpalms

1 hour ago, Collectorpalms said:

I'm no expert on these models but it's obvious they have something inherently wrong in them.  I keep a spreadsheet that shows my lows over the last 20 years or so and my low was 0F during that time.  These models both last year and this year at one point in their run showed basically record or below record lows for our area and the actual temps that materialize end up being 30 or 40F higher.   For instance one this year showed a temp near me -16F and last year I don't recall the temp but I think it was in the -15 to -25F range. Our lowest temp at all last year ended up being 16F or so.  I am not sure what does this but these models seems to regularly go extreme to the cold side when a reasonable person can look at them and say those temps are unlikely.  

Just so I'm reading the map right it shows Houston at 2F and Houston is rated as a zone 9a and the lowest temp I see over 20 years on NOAA is 20F.  Do I have that right?  If it gets anywhere under 10F I'll eat my words, If under 15F or 20F I'll be surprised.  

Edited by Allen
  • Like 2

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

8 minutes ago, Allen said:

I'm no expert on these models but it's obvious they have something inherently wrong in them.  I keep a spreadsheet that shows my lows over the last 20 years or so and my low was 0F during that time.  These models both last year and this year at one point in their run showed basically record or below record lows for our area and the actual temps that materialize end up being 30 or 40F higher.   For instance one this year showed a temp near me -16F and last year I don't recall the temp but I think it was in the -15 to -25F range. Our lowest temp at all last year ended up being 16F or so.  I am not sure what does this but these models seems to regularly go extreme to the cold side when a reasonable person can look at them and say those temps are unlikely.  

Just so I'm reading the map right it shows Houston at 2F and Houston is rated as a zone 9a and the lowest temp I see over 20 years on NOAA is 20F.  Do I have that right?  If it gets anywhere under 10F I'll eat my words, If under 15F or 20F I'll be surprised.  

If it gets anywhere under 10°F, you'd start seeing issues even with classic southern live oaks, pines, etc, topless of just palms.

Edited by AnTonY

44 minutes ago, Allen said:

The 12z may start a new trend. Now there's a bit more eastward movement with the cold. That 2°F spot in the Houston area now warmed to 7°F, and more of the extreme cold spreads into Louisiana. Even the FL Panhandle starts getting in on the teens, when it was nowhere near freezing on the 06z.

Edited by AnTonY

1 minute ago, AnTonY said:

The 12z now has a bit more eastward spread of the extreme cold, which may start a trend. That 2°F spot in the Houston area now warmed to 7°F, and more of the extreme cold spreads into Louisiana. Even the FL Panhandle starts getting in on the teens, when it was nowhere near freezing on the 06z.

So I guess my question is why do these models allow their computer to show absurd lows to a area without discounting that quite a bit.   And that seems to happen often.  I feel like I am at my computer watching the install time of a program and all of a sudden it jumps from one minute left to five.

11 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Dallas eh? Well Here as of now on day 1 of the Big Blast, Big Dipper, Blue Norther,  per National Weather Service.

image.jpeg.99b6582d00cb5a86d8b502f6df0486e1.jpeg

WOW!!! I'm shocked Dallas can get that low. I travel there for work (in normal times). And thankfully it's never been that cold. Yikes!

• Upvote 1

This is about the event in 2011 that hit Texas/NM.  A storm from the west "sucked"the Arctic air westward from Texas into NM/El PASO latterly "sparing" the bulk of Texas compared to farther west(NM/El PASO). 

There is a storm now coming from the west here.  They are forecasting zonal lows here currently.  I wrote a letter concerning the event in 2011 in 2011.  What happened here is about temperature wise the same as predicted for you DFW folks, but adjusted for  zone.  If it happens, there will be some carnage, plenty surprises, and major learnings.  On a side note, the rosemary I mention in my letter, all came back from the roots! What were the learning? All larger filifera I know of in the ABQ area(not many) survived (-7f - -11f) unprotected.  Many large robustas in Las Cruces survived the -5f.  Google street view shows a nearly 100% P canieras(sic) survival in El Paso's 0f.   

The NWS never did correctly predict what actually happened here. They did lowered their forecast within 24 hours of event to predict about zero. They were a minimum of seven degrees off less than 24 hours forecast. 

Best of luck to all.  Hopefully it will not be as severe as forecast. 

What I wrote in 2011(I did think all palms here were dead!)

" Texas  got a break.

Now what am I talking about?  Not El Paso either, we really don’t consider that really(geographically Texas.   Sorry Texas, hear me out,  then you can have her back.

Texas was lucky.  Even though it had an extended freeze, all the way to the mouth of the Rio Grande, it could have been much worse.  The cold was literally sucked through and over the mountains into the central valley(s) of New Mexico and El Paso. It bleeded  all the way to Tucson, PHX and deep into Mexico. Had this not had happened, it may have been worse in Texas “proper”.

By worse what do I mean?  By worse I mean take your current zone.  We’ll take Dallas(8B).  Now take that average annual low(Dallas=15f-yours may vary). Now that 15f becomes your high. Now subtract 2 zones(Dallas 8b becomes 6b=-5).   Dallas was probably looking at something like 15f for a high and -5f for a low had this not happened.  That’s what happened in ABQ and ElPaso(and the other communities in the central valleys.  Dallas has had an extended freeze. They do, have more consecutive hours(not absolute minimums) below freezing than El Paso or even colder Albuquerque during these arctic outbreaks.  

All I am saying it could have been worse, here, Dallas, or anywhere for that matter.  We were actually lucky in ABQ. You see it was -7 here, but 30 miles north it was -18f, 15 miles south it was -15f, and 30 miles east it was -34f.  I’m also lucky, it’s February.

The best part,  with averages and luck, I may go another 40 years of “zonal” palm growing.   Averages are now on my side, for everybody  else, the clock is ticking. The clock is also ticking once again here.

Albuquerque is a  colder version of El Paso.  What is similar is the elevation(4000’-5000) and climate other than a zone or a little more difference.   What is truly neat is there are some large palms for these truly colder places.   Palms that would not succeed elsewhere in the same zone.  And truth be told there still will be.   Why?  Well only certain palms or only certain well sited, or microclimate(d)  palms.  There are several examples of Filifera surviving multible below zero events in this area and more incredidble things (Dates, CIDP’s , saguaros)further south(El Paso, T ot C, Las Cruces).  Why?  

Type of palm.  Filifera has got mass.  This region has got solar radiation-more than any other(in the US).  This heats the mass.  That’s why they are able to withstand such cold temperatures here and not so much elsewhere.   So for this event there will be some surpirises and lots of death.  Learn from the survivors, whether it be full sun, near house, under canopy, etc..    Something helped  them survive.      

A lot of fellow palmers have been leading by example with what they are growing and how they grow it.  Some don’t protect or minimally protect for a reason and have been telling us all along why.  Thank you old timers!

And Texas-don’t forget El Paso.

On a side note-it looks like rosemary has been eradicated and pyracantha is as brown here as those ficus in Tucson should be. "  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Allen said:

So I guess my question is why do these models allow their computer to show absurd lows to a area without discounting that quite a bit.   And that seems to happen often.  I feel like I am at my computer watching the install time of a program and all of a sudden it jumps from one minute left to five.

It's literally been different looks each run, at least concerning the specifics. Also, I've heard as a rumor from weather forums that the 06z/18z "off-hour" runs tend to be less accurate than the 00z and 12z runs, due to lack of upper-air RAOB data in the former. That's possibly also a factor. 

But, despite the growing confidence of this creating records, I still say that the forecast is quite precarious - it literally at the mercy of a disturbances that haven't even formed yet! Watch the behavior of that wave train/gyre out in the North Pacific between the Aleutian Islands and Russia - that determines life or death, assuming the TPV is as strong as what the GFS is showing.

Latest GFS run, is worse for more people now. My location is now under almost 2 feet of snow and -4F, coldest/snowiest since records began.

Now Record lows over Louisiana as well.

gfs_T2m_scus_fh144_trend (2).gif

gfs_asnow_scus_fh318_trend.gif

Edited by Collectorpalms

5 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

Latest GFS run, is worse for more people now.

gfs_asnow_scus_fh318_trend.gif

OK so now the snow for my area is going to set a record or right at it?  LOL.   2 foot plus?  We're lucky to get 2-3".  I just don't believe this stuff anymore.  Either this storm sets all kinds of records or GFS needs major work.

Here are the last 6 runs of the GEFS ensembles. The trend is colder. One thing to keep in mind is a lot of this data is from way up north where there is little sampling. This is also a relatively shallow arctic air mass. Models can have a hard time with such events. I would certainly be prepared. However, a lot can and will change as sampling becomes better. Stick to the ensembles this far out. Hopefully things will trend better as we get closer.  

gfs-ens_T2m_us_fh144_trend.gif

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Allen said:

OK so now the snow for my area is going to set a record or right at it?  LOL.   2 foot plus?  We're lucky to get 2-3".  I just don't believe this stuff anymore.  Either this storm sets all kinds of records or GFS needs major work.

You need a very cold arctic high, no wind, heavy fresh snow, and mostly clear skys, dewpoints below zero. All those factors come into play for Texas. Plus the temperature the afternoon before is already cold, but cloudy, snow from here to the poles so the cold does not moderate. It helps that the cold has to funnel/squeeze or pressured into Texas due south to Mexico. If it starts spreading over more areas to the east or west, then the lows probably wont be records.

Edited by Collectorpalms

As much as we like our palms, everyone needs to prepare their houses first. If the models are even remotely correct, be prepared for multi-day power outages and broken pipes.

• Like 4

I wish you guys would do a breakdown of my weather.  From what I've been hearing from local forecasters and reading, they seem to have no clue still what's going to happen for us on Friday/Saturday.

"I hear maybe snow and maybe and/or ice and maybe and/or rain.  We don't know how much and it depends on where you are in the Metro area."  

So basically useless information.

Edited by Chester B

59 minutes ago, amh said:

As much as we like our palms, everyone needs to prepare their houses first. If the models are even remotely correct, be prepared for multi-day power outages and broken pipes.

My apartments just sent me an email asking me to leave all my faucets dripping and not turn my heater off and told us we can expect power outages and broken pipes anyway. I'm not digging this - I live in the south specifically to avoid winter. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnAndSancho said:

My apartments just sent me an email asking me to leave all my faucets dripping and not turn my heater off and told us we can expect power outages and broken pipes anyway. I'm not digging this - I live in the south specifically to avoid winter. 

I've been here since the late 80's, if the models are even close, you'll have frozen pipes in the walls. I always put a box with an incandescent light around my faucets when temperatures will be below 20.

Everyone better make sure their generators are working and insurance is valid.

• Like 1

Just now, amh said:

I've been here since the late 80's, if the models are even close, you'll have frozen pipes in the walls. I always put a box with an incandescent light around my faucets when temperatures will be below 20.

Everyone better make sure their generators are working and insurance is valid.

*signs up for renters insurance today* *buys more flannel undies*

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JohnAndSancho said:

*signs up for renters insurance today* *buys more flannel undies*

Make wood stoves common again.

19 minutes ago, amh said:

Make wood stoves common again.

I have a fireplace, and have NO IDEA how to use it anymore!

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Chester B said:

I wish you guys would do a breakdown of my weather.  From what I've been hearing from local forecasters and reading, they seem to have no clue still what's going to happen for us on Friday/Saturday.

"I hear maybe snow and maybe and/or ice and maybe and/or rain.  We don't know how much and it depends on where you are in the Metro area."  

Here is the National Weather from Portland, plus I looked at a couple models, Id go with them as they have experience forecast for specific location:

.SYNOPSIS...Benign weather pattern continues today, Then big changes arrive Wed night into Thu, thanks to much colder air being pushed across the northern Rockies and spilling to the Pacific Northwest. We`ll see brisk east winds pushing cold air west of the Cascades for Thu through Sat. Low pressure will provide moisture on Thu, with rain and snow across region. Messiest weather will be Thu night, with wide range of weather across region. Then, cold with snow showers Friday. Another front arrives Sat, with another round of snow. Will stay chilly through rest of the weekend, with snow showers on Sunday. Gradually warming early next week, with lowland rain and mountain snow. && .SHORT TERM...Today through Saturday...Still quiet but chilly start to Wed with temps in the upper 20s across much of the lowlands. Upper ridge offshore continues near 135W as splitting system near 145w will near the coast Thu afternoon. By this time the well advertised cold air has pushed into the region and filtering into the CWA. Initially pcpn starts as rain for the lowlands but by Thu evening snow will be falling north of about Salem with rain to the south. But where that rain/snow division will depend on where the surface low ends up. And still - models are having difficulty with that. Right now looks like the south Willamette valley will be just through Sat. But should the low take a more southern track, freezing temperatures could reach that area, resulting in freezing rain. Freezing rain is possible for the coast range and even the north coast early Fri. Right now looks like the central Willamette valley will be in the rain to freezing rain to snow transition zone. For the north Willamette valley into sw WA, should be all snow. New model guidance showing a juicier system Thu night into Friday AM. Digging further into the models, the GFS is showing a broad area of synoptic lift and strong frontogenesis during this time so feel increasing QPF and resulting snow amounts is a good idea. For now will go with around 3 to 5 inches snow for Thu night and Fri, but higher amounts are certainly possible. As an example for Portland metro the NBM showing 80% chance for greater than 2" and a 42% chance greater than 4". There is also a 20% chance for greater 6". The NBM has similar results for the Kelso/Longview area. Pcpn rates will ease some on Friday as the first system departs, but another juicy system pushes in on Saturday. This system looks like the surface low will be further north with warmer air aloft eroding at the cold air. Will probably see substantial freezing rain in the central valley and parts of the coast range. Eventually the freezing rain works its way north to sw WA as some of the ensembles show. Snow amounts forecast will be a bit more challenging for north Willamette and sw WA on Sat-Sat night due to the possibility of freezing rain, but think will see another 3 to 5 inches snow. The Gorge, Upper Hood, and the Cascades will get a new coat of paint later Thu into the weekend. Cascades should see 8 to 12" Thu-Fri and 10 to 15" Fri night-Sat. Gorge and Upper Hood with 4-8" Thu-Fri, and 6 to 10" Fri night-Sat. One thing lowering confidence in the snow amounts in the Cascades is the orographics aren`t highly favorable, so will have to rely synoptic lift and frontogenesis for good snow rates. With these changes in guidance have extended the winter storm watch into Sat for the Cascades, Gorge, and lowlands from central Willamette Valley into sw WA. This will be a prolonged period of wintery weather for much of the forecast area. Besides the wintery pcpn, temperatures will dip into the 20s for much of the northern half of the forecast area and along with gusty east winds will see the windchill index in the low teens. .LONG TERM...Saturday night through Tuesday...Cold air remains place with temps in the 20s and single digits in the Cascades. But with brisk east winds will probably see wind chill index in the low teens for the lowlands. But there is gradual warming as the offshore flow weakens later Sun into Mon as the storm track lifts further north. Another front will arrive later Sun night into Mon, with snow levels slowly rising. May see some light snow initially at lowest inland locations, but think most areas transitions to rain, with snow above 1500 feet.

Today
Mostly sunny, with a high near 45. Calm wind.
Tonight
Rain and snow likely, mainly after 4am. Snow level 1500 feet. Cloudy, with a low around 34. Light northeast wind becoming east 6 to 11 mph in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
Thursday
Rain and snow, becoming all snow after 1pm. Patchy fog between 4pm and 5pm. Snow level 2700 feet lowering to 1500 feet in the afternoon . High near 37. Windy, with an east wind 20 to 22 mph, with gusts as high as 43 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
Thursday Night
Snow. Low around 27. Windy, with an east wind 20 to 23 mph, with gusts as high as 45 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
Friday
A 50 percent chance of snow. Cloudy, with a high near 31. Windy, with an east wind 22 to 24 mph, with gusts as high as 39 mph. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
Friday Night
Snow and freezing rain likely, mainly after 10pm. Snow level 500 feet. Cloudy, with a low around 23. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
Saturday
Snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 30. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.
Saturday Night
A chance of snow, mainly before 4am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25.
Sunday
A chance of snow before 1pm, then rain likely, possibly mixed with snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 37.
Sunday Night
Rain likely. Snow level 1400 feet rising to 3000 feet after midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 33.
Washington's Birthday
Rain likely. Snow level 2600 feet. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 41.
Monday Night
A chance of rain. Snow level 2700 feet lowering to 2000 feet after midnight . Mostly cloudy, with a low around 36.
Tuesday
A chance of rain. Snow level 1800 feet. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 43.

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

ECMF 12z Complements of Ryan Maue , who is fantastic to listen to if you're into weather. 

ECMF 12z.png

Et4qpobXIAEB7R4.png

Edited by RJ

2 hours ago, Chester B said:

Hi Chester,

I used to have plenty of palm's up in Tualatin a few years back.  Kept a 15 foot Robusta alive through plenty of cold snaps, thanks to that lovely Gorge Cold Air Funnel.  That being said,  the best weather guy in my opinion up there is Mark.  His blog is here:  https://www.kptv.com/weather/blog/winter-storm-watch-a-closer-look/article_a2373ff8-6b5e-11eb-9415-93584e32b299.html?block_id=1035069

Wish we had something like that for DFW now that I have tree's here :)

• Like 1

Hi Everyone,

Never thought I would be worried about Windmill's up here in Dallas.  Like I mentioned above, I had plenty of them up in Oregon and never really had an issue, but my lowest temps were 8 at one point, no protection.  I have 7 up here along with a large Robusta.  Think the Robusta may be toast :(

Hoping we keep the Windmill's kicking.  I did wrap them but did not use any electric heat.  For the Robusta, I use pipe heater.

Finger crossed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PDXPalm said:

Hi Everyone,

Never thought I would be worried about Windmill's up here in Dallas.  Like I mentioned above, I had plenty of them up in Oregon and never really had an issue, but my lowest temps were 8 at one point, no protection.  I have 7 up here along with a large Robusta.  Think the Robusta may be toast :(

Hoping we keep the Windmill's kicking.  I did wrap them but did not use any electric heat.  For the Robusta, I use pipe heater.

Finger crossed.

What pipe heater are you referring to? Link to lowes or home depot example. thanks.

Euro Ens looks a little better for you guys.  You're still pretty far out. I hope this will moderate as you get closer. 

Euro210.thumb.PNG.45042b39bbc1dc7bffb355b1bb0e801f.PNG

When I lived in NOVA, we would open the under sink kitchen cabinet doors and leave them open on bitter cold nights. Our main water line entered the house right under the sink. The household heat moderated the cold so the pipes wouldn't freeze. We also set the faucet to slowly drip to keep water moving through the pipes

We also had a fireplace insert and piped heat through the attic to our bedroom upstairs using a bathroom fan.

We did 100s of broken pipe water damages over the years. Be aware that if your full water pipes freeze solid the expanding ice will crack them. That's a big enough problem but when the pipes start to thaw water will blast out of them and flood the house. By the way, thaw frozen pipes with a hair dryer not a blow torch.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.