Sign in to follow this  
Ben in Norcal

Trunk!

Ben in Norcal

Doing my spring mulching here today, and pretty psyched to find trunk on one of my Syagrus sancona! Probably not very exciting for most of you, but there aren’t too many trunking sancona in NorCal!

This went in the ground as a tiny eBay seedling years back, so glad to see it doing well! The crown is mostly obscured by a Coco Queen, but hopefully it will push above that ultimately! 

3826E1F6-636C-40EB-8DAE-67F47F875929.jpeg

• Like 18

Fusca
16 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Doing my spring mulching here today, and pretty psyched to find trunk on one of my Syagrus sancona!

Awesome Ben!  Now let's see a shot of the whole palm...

Ben in Norcal
14 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Awesome Ben!  Now let's see a shot of the whole palm...

Tough to get much of a picture - is surrounded by monsters; Beccarophoenix, Coco Queen, and Queen.

D2DB8B42-C546-41DD-A45A-B95F647EE025.jpeg

• Like 9

Fusca

Nice problem to have!  :D

• Like 2

KDubU

Nice! Any trunk is good.

• Like 1

Fusca

@Ben in Norcal how does the growth speed compare with a regular queen and the coco queen?

Ben in Norcal
22 minutes ago, Fusca said:

@Ben in Norcal how does the growth speed compare with a regular queen and the coco queen?

Slow.  I have read that these are quick, but slow as molasses here, despite our high heat half of the year.  Maybe it will pick up now that it has trunk?  Not sure, we'll see!

Fusca

I've read the same.  So it must have been many years back when it was a eBay seedling!  Was it getting shaded out by the other palms?  Looks like it's getting pretty good amount of sun now.

Ben in Norcal
26 minutes ago, Fusca said:

I've read the same.  So it must have been many years back when it was a eBay seedling!  Was it getting shaded out by the other palms?  Looks like it's getting pretty good amount of sun now.

Yeah, maybe 2013 or 2014 when I picked it up?  I have a few sancona, all in decent sun and all fairly slow.  They seem happy enough - no spotting or anything in the winter, like some other syagrus do - but perhaps they were set back by being bare-rooted back in the day.  Anyway, they are chugging along - definitely recommend this species for slightly colder zones!

• Upvote 1

realarch

Ben, a BIG thumbs up!

Tim

• Like 1