leiling.ng@outlook.com

Kentia Howea palms are drying up

leiling.ng@outlook.com

Hi all,

plant newbie here who got this beautiful Kentia Howea gifted to my birthday. The gardener advised to water every 10 days with 700ml of water, which I closely followed. Over time, I noticed a that the leaves were drying out, so I increased the rate of watering after consulting with my neighbor (who is also well-versed in plantcare).

This went on for 1 month until I left my apartment over the Christmas break. When I returned 1 week later, I noticed that some of the palms had started drying out - they lose their color, turn yellow/grey and crisp. Some of the leaves also develop spots. I tried googling for overwatering symptoms or root rot, but to no avail. When inspecting the roots, the palm seems fine. Couldn't spot any spider mites or other insects either.

I also made sure to water at a more careful pace now and add fertilizer to my water (not sure if this helps). In terms of location, I have moved her around - closer to the window, where she is currently placed, and further out in the corner with less light. Didn't seem to do much of a difference. 

Does anyone of you happen to know what might be going on? It has spread to all the lower palms (i.e. the ones closer to the soil) but now a large palm is affected and I'm really worried it might spread further.

I appreciate any insights.

Thank you,

Lei-Ling 

20210205_183135.jpg

20210205_183102.jpg

20210205_183114.jpg

20210205_183118.jpg

• Like 1

Fusca
1 hour ago, leiling.ng@outlook.com said:

plant newbie here who got this beautiful Kentia Howea gifted to my birthday

Hi Lei-Ling, welcome to Palmtalk!   I'm afraid that I can't offer much advice for this particular palm, but there is a recent thread in the "Palms In Pots" forum that addresses difficulties growing this palm indoors.  What I can say is that it looks like you have 4 individual Howea forsteriana palms planted together in the container which is pretty common.   Have you already cut off some of the dead fronds or are the photos showing the only ones with issues?  The dying fronds look to be older fronds - like you said "closer to the soil" - and that is normal for palms to lose those fronds and replace them with new ones from the center.  If the roots look good and the plant is producing new growth it should be OK.  There might be something going wrong or it might be just experiencing a shock of adjusting to different growing conditions.  Maybe someone else can offer more specific analysis of this condition.  I hope it grows well for you - best of luck! 

Jon

• Like 2

lzorrito
2 hours ago, Fusca said:

The dying fronds look to be older fronds - like you said "closer to the soil" - and that is normal for palms to lose those fronds and replace them with new ones from the center.  If the roots look good and the plant is producing new growth it should be OK.  There might be something going wrong or it might be just experiencing a shock of adjusting to different growing conditions.

I agree. It looks like those are just old fronds. Cut the old brown fronds, and those only.

2 hours ago, Fusca said:

there is a recent thread in the "Palms In Pots" forum that addresses difficulties growing this palm indoors.

:greenthumb:

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Marius
      By Marius
      Hi Everyone 
      I have a problem with some of my palms. New growth is a yellow or lime green colour and it doesn’t improve as the frond matures. Does anyone know what could be the cause?
      We have had a very wet summer, but this only seems to affect some palms with others next to them being fine. 

Any help / inputs will be much appreciated. 

• HyperFluxM
      By HyperFluxM
      Hi everyone,
      I bought a bangalow palm about 3 months ago. I keep it in my room which stays fairly humid and I keep it by the window which is facing north-west (I live in South Australia). I have recently potted it into a decently sized pot to make room for growth through 2022. Since I got the palm I have had a few smaller leaves dry up and die, I have been told this is natural for the smaller leaves to die off after time, is this true? I have not cut them off yet as I have also read that the palm should be allowed to do that natrually. The main issue that I am having now is brown spotting on some of the top leaves, it started off with a little bit but now there is a fair amount. When potting I added a layer of large rocks to the bottom with smaller rocks layered on top, I then filled the pot with premium potting mix (richgro seaweed premium potting mix) I also mixed in a bit of cow manure soil as I ran out of the premium potting mix. I water once a week usually by bringing it into the shower and watering it, then letting it dry for the rest of the day. Before watering i make sure that it is no longer moist on the top by sticking my finger into the topsoil. I have not used fertiliser on the palm yet. Please ask if you need any more information about the palm, any help would be greatly appreciated. 
      -Patrick
      Note: The photos were taken outside after repotting.
      Not sure how to post an image on this site so here are links to the photos:
      https://ibb.co/gdNYPJz
      https://ibb.co/R9MsVzs
      https://ibb.co/XxbPhGH
    • Ree
      By Ree
      Can anyone please identify this plant?  Is it a palm?  It’s located in north Texas. 

• elsi
      By elsi
      I bought Kentia palm in 22cm pot (the photo in a box).  I repotted the Kentia into 33cm pot  as the original pot was broken.
      I haven't touch much the root and kept the surrounding old soil.  Only put new soil around it. 
      I used Plant mix (Kings House Plant Mix - 10l | Compost and Mixes | Kings)   about 8 litre.  
      It has been only one day since repotting.  
      I am a bit scared if I used too big pot.  It seems like more pale and yellowish leaves with wet top soil.
      How long should I wait to see if the top soil and deep soil dry? 
      Should I leave it outside (under the sun with roof) to dry or bring the plant inside? I will use indoor 43cm cache-pot.
      And why some leaves are wide and crumpled? 
      Should I take the small dry branch at the bottom off? why is it dry? (When I bought this Kentia,  this dry leave were there)
      Thanks to help this complete beginner.

• Dadocreate
      By Dadocreate
      Hi there, I own a Kentia palm (2 stems actually) which I found in a bin a few years ago and is growing back well. 
      I want to ask you guys for advice about the position they are currently growing, which is a bit inconvenient to place in my house.
      As you can see from the images they are kind of V shape positioned so the foliages are spreading horizontally more then vertically. I know that Kentia are particularly sensible about repotting and messing with roots in general so my questions are:   Do you think it possible to split and reposition them in a more vertical manner? If possible, can you advise me how to deal with the roots and the process? If it is not a feasible option could you suggest me a technique to "direct" the stems?   Thank you very much in advance for your help,