Palm Lord

Majesty Palms In Zone 7b

Palm Lord

I was wondering if anyone has a good success story with growing Majesty Palm Trees in Zone 7. I decided to find out here. I live in the Chaussee neighborhood on Cedar Point which is an Island 2 kilometers north of Sandusky, Ohio's Battery Park Marina. All the USDA hardiness zone maps online say it is 6b or 7a but when I look where they collect the data I see it comes from the mainland. When I look at the weather it gives me Sandusky weather which is colder during the winter and warmer during the summer. Cedar Point, being an island surrounded by water, is a little different than the mainland. So of course that is a little inaccurate. This summer, I met a man named Tom who says he has been recording the temperature on Cedar Point for over 40 years and it hasn't got below five. USDA hardiness zone is calculated and determined by taking the average minimum low temperature over the course of 30 years. If the average minimum low was 5 degrees Fahrenheit it would be 7b. But that was for lowest temperature ever recorded. That wasn't even the average! I decided to experiment by planting Majesty Palms and seeing how they do seems how all my neighbors have some. Almost all of them are okay but I have one majesty palm that had some problems. I am trying to revive it but I'm pretty sure it is going to die. As usual, the Majesty Palm leaves all died but new green Spears push out during the Spring. There are new green Spears coming out of many of my Majesty Palms but a lot of them are doing spear pull. Some of them lived though. That is enough to keep me going. I will continue experimenting with palm trees. But yes, I just wanted to know if anybody else has Majesty Palms in zone 7 or zone 8? Cheers!

Palm Lord

Here is a video of my Majesty Palm var "Cedar Point" staying green despite being in snow. 

JLM

Majesty Palms are not good for Zone 7. Their fronds get damaged at the freezing mark, but their bud is hardy down to 22F. Anything 22F or below will probably be the end for your Majesty. They do best in Zone 10-11.
Majesty Palms are good indoor palms for Zone 7 though!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Allen

Nice effort there but they won't live unprotected.   Your best bet is to plant in pots and bring in a garage during winter.  Every Lowes and Home Depot will have large ones for $20-$30nad you can plant them as a annual if you want.  Why don't you grow a few palms you can grow and maybe protect like minor, needle, Trachy?  The zone map I looked at shows you at zone 6a/6b.  I looked at Sandusky weather and it's super cold.

Edited by Allen
  • Like 1

Ben in Norcal
1 hour ago, JLM said:

Majesty Palms are not good for Zone 7. Their fronds get damaged at the freezing mark, but their bud is hardy down to 22F. Anything 22F or below will probably be the end for your Majesty. They do best in Zone 10-11.

Agree they are a no go for 7 - not even remotely good here. 

But fronds can take a pretty good freeze w/o damage.  I don't get very cold, but certainly unblemished with 12+ hours of freezing temps down to 29/30.  They laugh at that.  My guess is there will be no frond damage until you start getting below 25-26.  But that's a guess!

DAVEinMB

24f completely defoliated the majesty I'm trialing here. Very protected spot, pretty dense natural canopy

Paradise Found

Palm Lord, don't let those green leaves fool you, once the temps go back to normal they will turn brown.  

Josue Diaz

I wasn't expecting a baby ravenea! I've got to say I'm surprised it's alive, but I agree with the rest of the group. Won't stand a chance below 28/29. I cottled one along in zone 9b in California for several years before a freeze damaged its trunk and eventually led to the spread of rot. I'm in a zone 9b/10a location now and even here they are not exactly long-term. They may thrive a few years, then a hard frost takes them out. Frost directly on the leaves will burn them also. 

Mr.SamuraiSword
8 hours ago, JLM said:

49 minutes ago, Josue Diaz said:

I wasn't expecting a baby ravenea! I've got to say I'm surprised it's alive, but I agree with the rest of the group. Won't stand a chance below 28/29. I cottled one along in zone 9b in California for several years before a freeze damaged its trunk and eventually led to the spread of rot. I'm in a zone 9b/10a location now and even here they are not exactly long-term. They may thrive a few years, then a hard frost takes them out. Frost directly on the leaves will burn them also. 

Theres some in some 9a areas that have survived lows of 26 - 24, heres one of the most northern on the east coast in Saint Simons Georgia...  Saw a few bigger ones in Crystal River Fl, also zone 9a.

86969456_1497548427070016_2706812651933007872_o.thumb.jpg.bf897534e5f47bee1f9be9927840c262.jpg

Edited by Mr.SamuraiSword
  • Like 3

PalmatierMeg

Cold-killed palms can take weeks, even months, to show they are dead. Ravenea rivularis is not coldhardy beyond z9b.

• Like 2

Josue Diaz
18 hours ago, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

Theres some in some 9a areas that have survived lows of 26 - 24, heres one of the most northern on the east coast in Saint Simons Georgia...  Saw a few bigger ones in Crystal River Fl, also zone 9a.

Yeah, mine looks like that and finally succumbed to rot from the damage on the trunk. The trunk on this one looks pretty heavily damaged - I'd suspect from cold. 

EastCanadaTropicals

I don't think that's even a majesty palm seedling, they wouldn't open a fully pinnate frond at that size.

Mr.SamuraiSword
On 2/5/2021 at 1:21 PM, Josue Diaz said:

Yeah, mine looks like that and finally succumbed to rot from the damage on the trunk. The trunk on this one looks pretty heavily damaged - I'd suspect from cold. 

Yeah, its been there over 10 years apparently, quite the survivor, reminds me of that old photo of that CIDP that lost a big chunk of trunk in the 89 freeze