joe_OC

Combining my two Passions: Palms & Coffee

joe_OC

Of all my hobbies, palms and espresso making have both endured.  Now I have the opportunity to combine both.  So this espresso tamper is made out of Borassus flabellifer.

1686415435_blackpalmtamper.thumb.jpg.fb3b3fd541e51e26f08937c812fa0eda.jpg

• Like 13
  • Upvote 1

Xenon

Oooo that's neat..maybe another thread for the full setup? :winkie: Coffee is one of my hobbies as well. I'm a grad student so no funds for real espresso but I've been honing my v60 for a while and trying coffee from all over the world. What interests me most about coffee is genetics and resultng taste profile (my field of study is plant breeding).  My current favorite variety is Pink Bourbon, also got some Chiroso and Java coming! So many wildly varying flavor profiles in coffee, definitely a very deep rabbit hole haha 

Edited by Xenon

joe_OC
14 minutes ago, Xenon said:

Oooo that's neat..maybe another thread for the full setup? :winkie: Coffee is one of my hobbies as well. I'm a grad student so no funds for real espresso but I've been honing my v60 for a while and trying coffee from all over the world. What interests me most about coffee is genetics and resultng taste profile (my field of study is plant breeding).  My current favorite variety is Pink Bourbon, also got some Chiroso and Java coming! So many wildly varying flavor profiles in coffee, definitely a very deep rabbit hole haha 

My understanding of Coffea arabica is that the genetic diversity is very low.  But it's amazing the variety of flavor profiles that come from the different growing regions and how the beans are roasted.  Klatch Roasting is my "Go To" roaster for over 15 years.  I don't think it's a surprise that their master roaster is a trained chemist.

JohnAndSancho

That's awesome! The gearhead in me is already thinking about palm interior trim and shift knobs :shaka-2:

joe_OC

image.png.b8dca1dbac6861614161cbaecb9daf3d.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

JohnAndSancho
4 minutes ago, joe_OC said:

image.png.b8dca1dbac6861614161cbaecb9daf3d.png

The coolest part is, nobody in the car world is doing palm wood. I'd have something that literally nobody on the planet has. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

joe_OC

I'm commissioning some parts for my espresso machine to be made with Black Palm.  I just love the contrast.  

• Like 2

Xenon
10 minutes ago, joe_OC said:

My understanding of Coffea arabica is that the genetic diversity is very low.  But it's amazing the variety of flavor profiles that come from the different growing regions and how the beans are roasted.  Klatch Roasting is my "Go To" roaster for over 15 years.  I don't think it's a surprise that their master roaster is a trained chemist.

Yea speciation happened relatively recently but there's definitely enough genetic variation to affect taste (as well as growth, disease resistance, etc). Also in recent decades, a lot of "wild" and landrace coffee direct from Ethiopia (rather than the traditional Bourbon-Typica lineage) is popping up in the Americas and elsewhere. Geisha/Gesha is a good example of this and is even grown in Southern California! I think Bird Rock in San Diego was selling a cup for $30-40. Klatch is definitely on the long to-try list. My favorites right now are Sey, B&W, Corvus, and Little Wolf. 

• Like 1

James B

Awesome Joe!:greenthumb:

Alohapalms

I currently have 4 Kona coffee plants, almost 2 years old growing on my property.  I was told this should be a sufficient amount for my own consumption. This will be my first attempt in a grow, harvest, dry and roast the coffee myself.  We will see how that goes! Lol.  I will keep you posted.:interesting:

• Like 1

waykoolplantz

back the wood. Palm die..harvested ?

Must take many years as renewable 

DoomsDave

@joe_OC, wow!

If I'd known, I'd have saved you some Caryota wood from the Urens of Doom. The wood is almost as pretty as the Borassus.

(Good fire wood, too.)