Sign in to follow this  
redant

Monster fronds

redant

And people talk about the size of royal fronds, these are true beasts.

IMG_7785.jpg

IMG_7786.jpg

• Like 11
  • Upvote 3

Merlyn

I have two babies of those with 2 foot long fronds.  They are easy to handle...for now!  How heavy are those beasts?

KDubU

Those are huge! Have been considering a Caryota urens or maxima ‘Himalaya’ as the latter is supposedly a bit more cold hardy. Trouble is finding either of them, any ideas? I see Junglemusic has a 15g urens but that is not being shipped across country. 

@Merlyn would you mind sharing where you picked yours up from or did you grow from seed?

Tks!

Merlyn

@KDubU I bought seedlings from a Thailand place, palmseeds.net.  I bought Attalea Phalerata, Caryota Gigas, Arenga Pinnata, and Livistona Speciosa back in Dec 2018.  I asked him about another order in April 2020 and he said that overseas shipments were going by boat, i.e. 30+ days.  That was due to COVID, I am not sure if that's still the case.

KDubU

Tks @Merlyn I will check them out and also keep my eyes open for any other opportunities.

redant
On 2/5/2021 at 9:48 PM, Merlyn said:

I have two babies of those with 2 foot long fronds.  They are easy to handle...for now!  How heavy are those beasts?

Very heavy, they are way more wood like then most palms and there for much heavier. I have a long pole say to but them, one slid down the pole saw and slammed into my forearm, damn that hurt.

• Like 1