IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Snow

GregVirginia7

One of the nicer and somewhat eagerly awaited aspects of cold hardy palm growing...

BB9A7CB4-90DE-40E3-8132-7C89688C51E5.thumb.jpeg.48d1b80fdebe96bed3f1f3cfcb8be1a9.jpegand one of the cold, hard realities...4DF3A045-40A9-4983-B19E-8A27917B67C1.thumb.jpeg.de40528626f94006ca491be23da10c4c.jpeg

• Like 4

Nice look and can still rock the lights.   Good thing we haven't had to wrap the Trachy yet.  

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

I got snow too

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

Yes...what a mild winter so far...it’s been great...the snow is a nice little break and keeps these cold hardy palms honest. Guess your winter is similar? 

My Chamaerops humilis that I never protect might end up being fried, which has happened before but it comes back in the spring. 

A572DBC2-0B59-407B-910C-0DBFCEDBD9C5.png

PalmTreeDude

Needle palm doesn’t care about the cold, the snow might beat it up though...

EA6778D2-E922-443B-B6CF-AC505A66AE3E.jpeg

E1998D4C-21C8-459D-930C-0BE36AA9294E.jpeg

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Like 3

PalmTreeDude

2 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

We got the snow here too in the Richmond area. 

4FCF9557-A308-4BD0-8BFF-1E7CB78EBC27.jpeg

78C82B11-60B3-461B-B2AD-F925090B1C60.jpeg

You have Spanish Moss in Richmond...I had no idea it grew this far north...

Sabal minor seedlings. 

image.jpg

I have 3 brand spanking new Sabal Minor straplings in the dirt as well...they sprouted from seeds from Bethany, DE parent plants this spring so they went from pot to ground pretty fast...mild winter so far here and they look great. The beach ones have been in ground for maybe five years and have seeded prolifically for a while now...anxious to see how the genes transfer to my VA climate. If they do well, I’ll collect more seeds and spread them around the yard.

My Chamaerops humilis that I never protect might end up being fried, which has happened before but it comes back in the spring. 

A572DBC2-0B59-407B-910C-0DBFCEDBD9C5.png

My Chamaerops is under the black shroud from outer space...I need to let it go so to speak but it’s one of my first cold hardy experiments and I’m a little too attached... I appreciate your approach!