Sign in to follow this  
Oviedo_z10b_lol

One year update

Oviedo_z10b_lol

B. Alfredi , A. Alex, and A. Engleri have been in the ground one year today. Not too shabby growth on the alfie considering it only gets about half day of sun. Happy Saturday, everyone. Not sure why the photos uploaded backwards, but I’m sure everyone can tell the “before” from the “after.”

AF9F7F89-3A61-4C6F-BC75-ED7D573C6CA3.jpeg

104B68DA-8436-4C4C-A8CD-D240A208D43A.jpeg

Edited by Oviedo_z10b_lol
Added
  • Like 13
  • Upvote 1

Merlyn

Nice!  At that size my Alfies were growing 1-2 feet in length on each new frond.  Hopefully they'll continue!

How did your Alexandrae do on the Christmas night freeze?  I have one "large seedling" in the ground that's about 1.5 feet tall and pinnate.  It was next to a couple of Spindles that were >50% burned, and it didn't seem to care.  That was 28F with medium frost, though the spot where it's planted is probably 2F or so warmer than my thermometer spot.  Yours look basically perfect.

Oviedo_z10b_lol

I had no issues during the Christmas cold event. But I think it’s a microclimate effect. They’re pretty protected back there, surrounded by houses and some oak canopy. I really don’t think we got any frost. Even a foxtail I have in the front yard that’s pretty exposed had no cold issues.

im Sorry sanford got walloped that night. Hope everything recovers. 

Merlyn
1 hour ago, Oviedo_z10b_lol said:

Even a foxtail I have in the front yard that’s pretty exposed had no cold issues.

Oddly enough, a couple of recently transplanted foxtails back there took basically no damage.  6 feet away from them a pair of Bottles were 100% defoliated.  Maybe it was just 1-2F above the damage temperature for Foxtails, which seems to be around 26-28F on Kinzyjr's spreadsheet.

My guess, based on my new 5 zone temp sensor setup, is that the Alexandrae in the ground may have seen 30F.  I'm pretty encouraged by that, because it actually looks healthier now than it did in November!  Go figure...maybe it doesn't like that much sun as a seedling.

• Like 1

KDubU

Nice growth! Love what looks like bamboo to the right? Asian Lemon?

• Like 1

Oviedo_z10b_lol
18 hours ago, KDubU said:

Nice growth! Love what looks like bamboo to the right? Asian Lemon?

Yes. It does it’s job as a privacy screen, but the leaf litter is relentless. 

Merlyn
2 hours ago, Oviedo_z10b_lol said:

Yes. It does it’s job as a privacy screen, but the leaf litter is relentless. 

Yes, they are...er...self-mulching!  Yeah, that's the ticket!  :D  It's good in an area where extra free mulch is fine or even preferred, but not so great near a pool or manicured yard, etc.  Mine haven't bugged me yet, but when the Asian Lemon next to my pathway gets big the leaf litter on the path might get annoying...

KDubU
1 hour ago, Merlyn said:

Yes, they are...er...self-mulching!  Yeah, that's the ticket!  :D  It's good in an area where extra free mulch is fine or even preferred, but not so great near a pool or manicured yard, etc.  Mine haven't bugged me yet, but when the Asian Lemon next to my pathway gets big the leaf litter on the path might get annoying...

I’ll come take her off your hands when it’s time. ^_^

• Like 1