IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Some more interesting palms in College Station

Swolte

I visited a friend earlier this week and he owns a large property in this area that he has been busy planting on for well over decade. His yard is nothing short of a full-fledged botanical garden with a rich collection of rare trees (maples, oaks, etc...) and shrubs. Of course, palms are strategically sprinkled across the area (several mature Trachy's, (Brazoria) Sabals, Washies, saw palms, Butias, etc...). 

I didn't have the best camera nor was the lighting ideal but I quickly snapped a few pics. I mainly wanted to share the photo of this large weeping chamaerops. Second pic is of a smaller one (probably cerifera). Last pic is of a very fast-growing Sabal Uresana in a not-too-dry spot (this looks like it will be a monster).

Oscar Medi.jpg

Oscar Medi2.jpg

Oscar Urusana.jpg

Edited by Swolte
  • Like 10
  • Upvote 1

That weeping Chamaerops has a Livistona-esque quality to it.  I'd love to get a hold of some like that.

That uresana is pretty sweet too.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Chester B said:

That weeping Chamaerops has a Livistona-esque quality to it.  I'd love to get a hold of some like that.

That uresana is pretty sweet too.

Swolte, nice finds of some interesting palms.  I have to agree the weeping one looks like Livistona nitida good looking one too. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Was able to pay a visit today and discuss the damage. All palms were unprotected (we hit about 4F in College Station with several days below freezing, even during the day). 

First and second pic is the weeping medi. Doesn't look good though there still is some green near the crown. And who knows, something might shoot up from the base. Would have loved to get some seed from this specimen. 

The third and fourth picture show the highland and coastal Urusana respectively. They are about the same age (highland one maybe a bit older, though it is smaller) and they are a few big steps apart. As you can see, the highland one has no visible damage. Both will likely pull through in my view.

Oscar Medi unprot.jpg

Oscar Medi unprot crown.jpg

Oscar Uru Highl unprot.jpg

Oscar Uru Coastal unprot.jpg

Edited by Swolte
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Swolte said:

Was able to pay a visit today and discuss the damage. All palms were unprotected (we hit about 4F in College Station with several days below freezing, even during the day). 

First and second pic is the weeping medi. Doesn't look good though there still is some green near the crown. And who knows, something might shoot up from the base. Would have loved to get some seed from this specimen. 

The third and fourth picture show the highland and coastal Urusana respectively. They are about the same age (highland one maybe a bit older, though it is smaller) and they are a few big steps apart. As you can see, the highland one has no visible damage. Both will likely pull through in my view.

Oscar Medi unprot.jpg

Oscar Medi unprot crown.jpg

Oscar Uru Highl unprot.jpg

Oscar Uru Coastal unprot.jpg

I actually do recall A&M having two Uresana planted next to each other and back in 2010, they had similar result. I believe I have two of the hardier ones and one of  the lesser hardier one, but it’s Much bigger. Though there was no sign indicating difference. That green on the med is more than my green ones. The ice really bent my crowns over exposing them to horror.

79BC0E32-D9E6-453E-BC3F-A2AD6177A9E0.jpeg

• Like 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)