GardnerDylan6a

Palm Trees Anywhere

GardnerDylan6a

So theoretically palms can be grown anywhere in the world as long as there is a sufficient micro climate?

Allen

Hmm no not really

• Like 1

Xerarch

If by microclimate you mean heated greenhouse, sure

• Like 4

PalmatierMeg

Sure, if you are willing to spend the money and do the work. Iceland grows palms, bananas and other tropicals in huge conservatories heated by thermal/volcanic energy.

If I had the inclination and Bill Gates' billions I could build a gigantic biodome on the North Pole and turn it into a tropical paradise. Or on Pike's Peak.

Or I could build a refrigerated conservatory so I could grow my impossible dream palm Lepidorrhachis mooreana right here in FL. And Dictyocaryum lamarckianum, a Hedyscepe, a Juania, Ceroxylon spp........

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• RJ
      By RJ
      Actually planted these this spring. I planted a filabusta but a rabbit or something ate it to the ground. 
      I also planted butia but it drowned in all the rain we got this spring. I’ll try again this upcoming spring. 

Below is a mule , planted as a two gallon maybe, it took right off without skipping a beat. 

• D Palm
      By D Palm
      I live in N Florida in between Lake City, Fl and Jacksonville, Fl. I planted this Royal behind my red shed last summer. It took some leaf damage but had since put out a new spear this spring. I clipped the fronds and moved it to a sunny spot. The root ball has grown about 3x the size and I plan on moving it close to the south side facing part of my house to help protect it more. I mulched  the base for winter and threw a blanket over it a couple of times. I travel for work so most of the time these palms are not protected.  The only spear pull I had were the queens but they are all nicely recovering and everything is very thirsty waiting for summer rains.

• UK_Palms
      By UK_Palms
      So I am not exaggerating when I say that this spring has been the coldest on record and the absolute worst that I have ever endured. It has been absolutely dreadful here, even by UK standards. 
      The whole of the UK and most of Europe has been affected by unseasonably low temperatures for about 6-7 weeks now, since early April. The whole of 2021 has been pretty bad for here and the rest of Europe with below average temperatures and snow/freeze events in both January and February. Although March was okay and marginally above average, temperature-wise, both April and May have turned out to be the coldest spring months on record for the UK and most of Europe. I have spoke to people in their 80's who say that this spring is the worst they have EVER seen.
      April was categorically the coldest April on record ever, given that multiple records have been broken in England, Scotland, Wales and wider UK. 

I have never, ever seen snow in April before this year. This is what my Queens looked like when I awoke one morning in mid-April this year... just unbelievable... in April...

Here is the temperature anomalies across Europe for April...

Apart from the Iberian peninsula (Spain & Portugal) and the far northeast Baltic corners of the continent, the whole of Europe has been affected this spring...

You can see the massive blue blob over Europe...

April was also a very, very dry month with record breaking sunshine levels, hence all the overnight frosts under clear skies. It was just dry, sunny and cold...

While most of Europe has shivered through its coldest spring on record, the Middle East and north Africa has been experiencing the exact opposite with record high temperatures. Consequently the Mediterranean islands in the southeast of Europe, closest to the Middle East and north Africa, have experienced record breaking temperatures. Crete in the far south of Europe saw a low of 30C overnight in April...

When you look at April alone, it doesn't seem too bad given that we are outside of winter, meaning no extreme lows, and April is just one month. However the cold snap is continuing well into May as well now with temperatures consistently running about 3C below average across Europe for about 6-7 weeks now.
      Here you can see the temperature anomaly for May so far in the UK...

It was also the coldest May Bank Holiday on record for the UK...

Scotland even had snow, IN MAY!!!

There have even been multiple tornadoes this month as well...

While April was the driest on record, as well as the coldest, May is currently on course to be both the wettest and coldest. We have replaced the sunshine and cool weather of April, with the rain and cool weather of May. We have had constant drizzle, thunder and spells of heavy rain and wind over the past 10 days. It was absolutely vile out today. A mild 14C but just wet and miserable. Shite considering we are 2 weeks outside of summer.
      Monday's figures were absolutely abysmal for mid May...

This is the first time on record that we have not gone over 20C during the first two weeks of May. In fact I haven't gone above 20C since the last day of March, when it reached 27C here. As it stands right now, March 30th has been my hottest day this year, which is a testament to how crap this spring has really been.
      On top of that it appears another storm is arriving later this week as well. The last thing we need is more rain and wind. We need some frickin heat!!!

The temperatures look absolutely appalling for London this week, in mid-May! Highs of 14C / 57F from Thursday to Monday with another storm in between. However there are signs that it will bet warming up next week with temperatures trending closer to normal, but still no proper warmth at all. I have never seen anything like this in May. It sums up a crap spring in general and a crap 2021, weather-wise!

What is even more unbelievable is that parts of Russia and Siberia are running as much as 25C (50F) above average for the time of year!

I have to give spring 2021 a rating of 1 out of 10, it has genuinely been that bad! I'm praying for a record breaking hot summer. 
    • PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Last evening my son and daughter-in-law took me out for an early Mother's Day dinner at Bonefish Grill in Cape Coral. While we waited outside for our table to be ready I noticed a solitary Chamaerops planted near the entrance. It was 6-7' tall and perfectly grown with bluish leaves and prominent gold spines. Chamaerops grow well here but are not often planted because most people prefer more tropical looking palms. But I would plant one like this in a heartbeat.
      Chamaerops humilis solitaire, Bonefish Grill, Cape Coral, FL

• Paradise Found
      By Paradise Found
      Butia catarinensis is a small short butia only growing 9' tall with a thinner trunk. And is hardy to 14F. So far I have not had any damaged spear or leaves the last five years. 
      This year the new spear is opening and it pretty long & nice looking palm in my opinion.  Check it out and I highly recommend this Butia.