GardnerDylan6a

Palm Trees Anywhere

GardnerDylan6a

So theoretically palms can be grown anywhere in the world as long as there is a sufficient micro climate?

Allen

Hmm no not really

• Like 1

Xerarch

If by microclimate you mean heated greenhouse, sure

• Like 4

PalmatierMeg

Sure, if you are willing to spend the money and do the work. Iceland grows palms, bananas and other tropicals in huge conservatories heated by thermal/volcanic energy.

If I had the inclination and Bill Gates' billions I could build a gigantic biodome on the North Pole and turn it into a tropical paradise. Or on Pike's Peak.

Or I could build a refrigerated conservatory so I could grow my impossible dream palm Lepidorrhachis mooreana right here in FL. And Dictyocaryum lamarckianum, a Hedyscepe, a Juania, Ceroxylon spp........

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Last evening my son and daughter-in-law took me out for an early Mother's Day dinner at Bonefish Grill in Cape Coral. While we waited outside for our table to be ready I noticed a solitary Chamaerops planted near the entrance. It was 6-7' tall and perfectly grown with bluish leaves and prominent gold spines. Chamaerops grow well here but are not often planted because most people prefer more tropical looking palms. But I would plant one like this in a heartbeat.
      Chamaerops humilis solitaire, Bonefish Grill, Cape Coral, FL

• Paradise Found
      By Paradise Found
      Butia catarinensis is a small short butia only growing 9' tall with a thinner trunk. And is hardy to 14F. So far I have not had any damaged spear or leaves the last five years. 
      This year the new spear is opening and it pretty long & nice looking palm in my opinion.  Check it out and I highly recommend this Butia. 

• Haddock
      By Haddock
      Out of all the coconut varieties in the world, which one would you say can handle cool temps for the longest?
    • GardnerDylan6a
      By GardnerDylan6a
      Does anyone know the cold hardiness of w. filifera in proportion to it´s age or trunk dimensions, also does anyone know if the location of the tree dramatically affects the cold hardiness of it´s seeds
    • Haddock
      By Haddock
      Beccariophoenix alfredii aka “Madagascar high land coconut” is a interesting palm, but it’s cold hardiness hasn’t been fully tested. I heard it’s hardy to the lower 20s when it’s young but what about mature specimens, how cold can they handle?