Sign in to follow this  
The7thLegend

Pygmy Butia Palm

The7thLegend

I was going through old pics and came across this unusual palm I took a photo of at Silver Springs.  At first I thought Phoenix Roebelenii, after a closer examination it looks like an old pygmy Butia.  It's a sweet looking palm and wanted to share.  I would like one for myself now.  What do you think? 

Palm_01.thumb.jpg.aedda0790a9c00ac5e32f0f1f13d291b.jpg

• Like 4

Palm Man

I live in zone 7b and would love to have a Butia that size so that I could easily protect it in extreme cold weather. 

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• GregVirginia7
      By GregVirginia7
      Any ideas on what the ailment might be? Interior spears have a fair amount of yellow...one of the fronds that did open up is quite small and blotchy green and yellow...otherwise, the fronds exposed to the winter look great...I sprayed some copper fungicide this evening...tried giving the inner most spear a pull but the palm threatened to rip my hand to shreds...any experience with this specific malady??

• Collectorpalms
      By Collectorpalms
      Anyone having any luck with pure Butia in central Texas? Initially several of the largest in the area looked like they had some green in the center. However, now more than a month later they look worse. These experience around 5F. I must have had too much faith in their cold hardiness?
      Should they be trunk cut now that the green is fading? I am asking for someone who has 7 nice ones that is hesitating. Copper fungicide applied and last checked a couple weeks and only 1 spear pulled then.

• teddytn
      By teddytn
      Walking around the yard weeding and watering and thought I would share some of what I have growing. Needle palms, sabal minor mccurtain, sabal minor, sabal Birmingham, various opuntias, yucca rostratas. 

• teddytn
      By teddytn
      Hi everyone, I live in northern middle Tennessee and have been growing palms in ground unprotected for 8 years. Haven’t always been successful by the way. Have a pretty decent collection of non palms also. Anyway to get to the point, I am in the process of planting some potted sabal palmettos and was hoping to pick some of the experts brains on the realistic long term survival of a palmetto in northern Tennessee. I’m fairly deep into this project already and am half tempted to start a post to document and track the whole process if anyone is interested. Thanks in advance