IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Floribunda Palms Nursery - visit 28 January 2021

bgl

Kim and I were fortunate to visit Floribunda Palms Nursery this morning and walked around for a while, looking at unusual palms with Jeff and Sujin and taking photos, before getting down to our actual reason for the visit - buying palms! :lol: I'll be posting a number of photos but I may need to doublecheck the name for some of them so may not be able to post everything right now. I will only add a photo (or two) of a single species in each post. Here's Pelagodoxa henryana with impressive seeds, with Jeff of course. :)

DSC_0132.JPG

DSC_0134.JPG

• Like 19
  • Upvote 4

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Sommieria leucophylla.

DSC_0140.JPG

• Like 13
  • Upvote 4

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Masoala madagascariensis.

DSC_0143.JPG

• Like 22
  • Upvote 3

Two Dypsis prestoniana side-by-side and quite different looking when you take a closer look at arrangement of the leaflets.

DSC_0146.JPG

• Like 13
  • Upvote 2

Dypsis oropedionis.

DSC_0147.JPG

• Like 12
  • Upvote 3

Geonoma atruvirens.

DSC_0151.JPG

• Like 13
  • Upvote 4

Chambeyronia lepidota (darker crownshaft in the center).

DSC_0159.JPG

• Like 13
  • Upvote 3

Dypsis bentjesii - somewhat uncertain about the spelling of the species name and have to correct it later. Can't find any reference to it, but I'm certain this is the name Jeff used.

DSC_0153.JPG

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

Areca goreta and another palm where I am somewhat uncertain about the spelling of the species name. But this is definitely a cute and colorful little palm.

DSC_0172.JPG

• Like 20
  • Upvote 2

Cyphosperma tanga.

DSC_0174.JPG

• Like 13
  • Upvote 3

Sabinaria magnifica.

DSC_0176.JPG

DSC_0177.JPG

• Like 17
  • Upvote 5

Licuala orbicularis.

DSC_0178.JPG

• Like 15
  • Upvote 2

And the very well known Licuala mattanensis var. mapu. Cute little things! :mrlooney:

DSC_0179.JPG

• Like 14
  • Upvote 2

Pigafettas are always neat! :)

DSC_0191.JPG

• Like 13
  • Upvote 3

The four of us; Jeff, Sujin, Kim and me posing in front of the largest Tahina spectabilis.

DSC_0189.JPG

• Like 20
  • Upvote 5

Borassodendron machadonis.

DSC_0199.JPG

• Like 14
  • Upvote 2

Dypsis leucomalla.

DSC_0197.JPG

• Like 13
  • Upvote 2

A trio of Dypsis sp. dark mealybug.

DSC_0198.JPG

• Like 13
  • Upvote 2

Raphia australis sending up a terminal inflorescence (not that easy to see, or take a good photo of, but it's going straight up from the center of the palm).

DSC_0185.JPG

• Like 8
  • Upvote 3

Ravenea musicalis - sorry about the light conditions here.

DSC_0187.JPG

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

Johannesteijsmannia lanceolata.

DSC_0196.JPG

• Like 12
  • Upvote 3

This is what Jeff calls the Blue Dypsis decipiens and he is convinced this should be described as a different species, considering the fact that the inflorescence is very different (and much larger) compared to the "regular" D. decipiens.

DSC_0192.JPG

• Like 13
  • Upvote 3

One of many great views. A row of Carpoxylon macrospermum on the right.

DSC_0202.JPG

• Like 13
  • Upvote 4

Hyophorbe vaughanii. That's it for right now. I may have a few more and I believe Kim may have some as well but it will probably be tomorrow before we have time to post additional photos.

DSC_0173.JPG

• Like 14
  • Upvote 6

4 hours ago, bgl said:

Hyophorbe vaughanii. That's it for right now. I may have a few more and I believe Kim may have some as well but it will probably be tomorrow before we have time to post additional photos.

DSC_0173.JPG

Wow, I had no idea Jeff had this is his collection. That's the first I ever seen anywhere!

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

4 hours ago, bgl said:

DSC_0173.JPG

Wow, I had no idea Jeff had this in his collection; that's the first one I've ever seen anywhere outside of habitat. And it's flowering. ;)

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Wow, I bought over 30 palms from Jeff this summer and none of what I bought are what you posted.  LOL  Now tell us what you bought.

• Upvote 1

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

12 hours ago, bgl said:

Masoala madagascariensis.

DSC_0143.JPG

My new favorite palm lol.  Incredible.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Well Bo, for not have posted anything in awhile you certainly made the wait worthwhile. So many striking specimens, but the Sommeria gave me an OMG moment. Oy vey!

Look forward to seeing you and Kim again soon.

Tim 

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

9 hours ago, WaianaeCrider said:

Wow, I bought over 30 palms from Jeff this summer and none of what I bought are what you posted.  LOL  Now tell us what you bought.

Here you can see what we bought -- several large palms, the most obvious are Licuala peltata v. peltata -- and many small palms on the pallet on the skip loader.

Bill Langer and John Hovancsek helping load, Jeff and Sujin supervising, as Bo prepares the truck bed. We left with the truck fully loaded, fronds tickling our ears on the ride home.

I will add more photos later today. 

IMG_5070.thumb.jpg.6628375fadf2391b513186c2275b91fb.jpg

IMG_5074.thumb.jpg.22af899c6c19d4163911affcba206687.jpg

• Like 11
  • Upvote 3

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.