Jump to content
TropicalGardenSpain

Creating a tropical garden in Spain

Recommended Posts

TropicalGardenSpain

Hi everyone, I’ve been here a while but never posted much just taking advice from posts and admiring other gardens and palm collections! I’ve been working on my garden now for 4 years, when we purchased the property it was full of dead almond trees and we had to get a tractor in to clear the plot and access the house. It’s still very young garden and being so big it takes some doing but I’m hoping it will start to fill in as it matures. I thought I would load some photos as it is now. If you would like to see the progress I have an Instagram account dedicated to gardening which is TropicalGardenSpain.  

Would love people to comment what palms I am missing here! Climate zone 10a we don’t have frosts but temperatures can drop briefly to 0c for an hour or 2 coldest nights in winter but days can be up to 15-20c and we have dry winters and summers. Watering the garden and keeping on top of it is the toughest jobs and one I will be tackling this year!

45473A4D-4525-4A6F-A99E-2235012BB059.jpeg

6D980892-160A-40DE-B91E-3C2F91993005.jpeg

1ADEECC7-F89F-4FEC-A253-9DBC72A9C3CE.jpeg

917ED0A4-A1FF-42EF-962B-4F1BF5E0A31D.jpeg

F6842016-667C-44F6-95A0-81F0CECA36DB.jpeg

C76A3FB3-BA26-4A29-9F4A-D8F229BB8400.jpeg

F8F92468-1108-48F0-9153-E12EB7AF01A4.jpeg

0E720C36-31F1-478B-8C6E-4BCA749D760F.jpeg

6051FAA5-2DA6-4239-B21A-26FDACB266FD.jpeg

69C086C7-A4B9-467B-A1CB-81BB2008B5AF.jpeg

FA747C4B-5B48-4564-88C3-5858DB16894E.jpeg

1E41E2BA-AB65-49A7-9703-D9EA6D256EBD.jpeg

79AE889D-F866-4FED-96A8-C2D504D2B25F.jpeg

CA2F7B9A-AA9B-42AB-B9EB-D9A5FFEAB0FB.jpeg

BD07F0E7-E901-4C46-B9F5-E2FF098E57A9.jpeg

6ACA8C64-007D-4AE7-B2CE-50193A3403FA.jpeg

A7A6BAD9-B44B-4F66-99B7-F202CFD55263.jpeg

A9751715-A659-4D24-AD5B-DC5DB7B0C896.jpeg

28BC7201-3B4A-4F89-A328-752C0EDAB667.jpeg

F72E7A0D-85C9-43F2-BEA5-89510CD9B5ED.jpeg

C30A8768-A77F-4464-A2F8-A395A7B2CEAF.jpeg

D23CE0B1-DC38-45EF-8C0F-E1D6981287EB.jpeg

6484412A-A27F-4012-B737-508A165674A8.jpeg

77B8797D-21A0-4F89-9A11-C01E4C435BD5.jpeg

BC19A0E2-EE5C-4708-B495-C9E88A1EA46B.jpeg

697C44A7-EADA-4CFE-AA7D-11B565FAB5B2.jpeg

5F9A789E-8B29-480D-BBF8-C0AD15D0CF22.jpeg

A2692150-207B-4A9C-9CF0-B07ED5CDD665.jpeg

B8D37C41-ED57-4625-82E2-4F2F23A0A0DA.jpeg

4498B625-CBC8-4751-84AF-312F1D40139C.jpeg

2267BC0F-D2C1-470B-9CEF-C386C8930F61.jpeg

888BFB00-ADAF-4ABB-95DC-1CCCDBC93D71.jpeg

CB0717F6-1DC4-4ED6-820E-7C0C95CD2EB0.jpeg

20B092F8-BE72-4EBE-A362-94308A7D95B4.jpeg

F15DB5ED-FADB-4ADE-AC8C-4F6B2BAEF83B.jpeg

573D9098-C031-4CE7-96CF-65202E55B6F9.jpeg

FE9192C5-3B13-46C3-B0B8-3328C03248C8.jpeg

38DC12A4-31CD-4FAD-AACA-2B87FD699182.jpeg

E74FE956-BA4F-4F4D-A168-1117E29CA77A.jpeg

C6EC17E5-12B1-40AE-BCD8-EBCD9FBD2C10.jpeg

E24C9AF9-5954-4A8F-8892-25328B43D51C.jpeg

54501BD6-F88F-49F2-B17A-16389F6CFAA2.jpeg

04D650C9-82C1-4146-8DA9-BE4481BEC281.jpeg

C54F3969-7B39-49E8-9F2D-751C7C05260B.jpeg

0E0F70AA-6190-4057-B905-93500C6207F2.jpeg

09AC48E3-725C-46A2-9342-59EE490DA209.jpeg

61E15B2E-B57E-444B-BB67-BC0FB2BA74CD.jpeg

22F8DBD9-B1E3-4296-8254-1D1A520E7A23.jpeg

033DC6E8-4FB9-423A-8418-EB1025430984.jpeg

72C81908-471B-42BF-9B72-8CD1D75591DF.jpeg

7EACE72C-76F6-46DC-AAFF-CDD896473455.jpeg

155647AC-AEBD-4F0F-977F-68CF3FE74E8C.jpeg

1967C59F-FABB-4C92-B39D-6FFF827B3A49.jpeg

D3584261-2AFF-43FA-B161-51AEDDC05263.jpeg

C0C315A3-59D8-463E-A2FC-1F2F25313352.jpeg

22E6F330-1BD2-4023-827C-DDBC1DF63525.jpeg

974886D1-7E50-45A1-A2B9-256520E4D00C.jpeg

08055357-02DD-4243-BBA1-81994935E655.jpeg

04B106C1-023F-4F2D-9839-E4E687A5E473.jpeg

33222542-926D-49C4-B040-12BE6D140481.jpeg

CDBBA1EA-06B1-4670-8FEE-BD530F01273C.jpeg

  • Like 22
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Merlyn

That's a gorgeous setup!  As far as suggestions go, Allagoptera Arenaria makes a really neat small-ish palm/shrub cluster, and has really unique curly-que leaves.  A Beccariophoenix Alfredii would be a nice big focal point plant if you have any spots left, and would be totally cold-hardy in 10a.  Brahea Clara silver types are really cool kinda droopy-leaved palms.  And if you could source a Copernicia Baileyana or Fallaensis that would go well with the silver Bismarck.  Licuala Peltata v. Sumawongii are a really awesome solid round fan palm, they are probably water-hungry and may need some shade there, but you've got dripline already installed in a few spots.  Kerriodoxa Elegans is another really nice full solid round fan palm with silver undersides.

The only caution I'd advise is watch out for the roots on the Schefflera Actinophylla aka "Umbrella Tree."  I've read that they are super-aggressive roots and will destroy driveways and foundations.  I think I saw one about 10 photos down, but it could be a different plant entirely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Merlyn
1 hour ago, TropicalGardenSpain said:

6ACA8C64-007D-4AE7-B2CE-50193A3403FA.jpeg

2267BC0F-D2C1-470B-9CEF-C386C8930F61.jpeg

 

These are the two Schefflera Actinophylla I think I spotted.  I've seen the planted next to houses and pools, but read that it is a really bad idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TropicalGardenSpain
28 minutes ago, Merlyn said:

That's a gorgeous setup!  As far as suggestions go, Allagoptera Arenaria makes a really neat small-ish palm/shrub cluster, and has really unique curly-que leaves.  A Beccariophoenix Alfredii would be a nice big focal point plant if you have any spots left, and would be totally cold-hardy in 10a.  Brahea Clara silver types are really cool kinda droopy-leaved palms.  And if you could source a Copernicia Baileyana or Fallaensis that would go well with the silver Bismarck.  Licuala Peltata v. Sumawongii are a really awesome solid round fan palm, they are probably water-hungry and may need some shade there, but you've got dripline already installed in a few spots.  Kerriodoxa Elegans is another really nice full solid round fan palm with silver undersides.

The only caution I'd advise is watch out for the roots on the Schefflera Actinophylla aka "Umbrella Tree."  I've read that they are super-aggressive roots and will destroy driveways and foundations.  I think I saw one about 10 photos down, but it could be a different plant entirely.

Thanks Meryln, it’s funny you should suggest those palms as I have them all growing from seed, it’s really hard to source good size palms here however I have a trip planned next week to try a wholesale nursery who specialize in more tropical palms. Fingers crossed I saw they had nice copernicana baileyana I’m just hoping it’s not an old photo on their website. Thanks for the heads up on the schefflera, I will keep an eye on them and keep them to a reasonable size. 
 

I would like to source a kerriodoxa soon as they are really beautiful! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KDubU

Beautiful property! It will be great to see it grow in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedRabbit

Wow, nice garden! What part of Spain are you in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
awkonradi
1 hour ago, RedRabbit said:

Wow, nice garden! What part of Spain are you in?

Agree.  Would love to know where in Spain!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TropicalGardenSpain
5 hours ago, KDubU said:

Beautiful property! It will be great to see it grow in.

Thank you! I’m looking forward to being able to look up at the palms for sure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TropicalGardenSpain
5 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

Wow, nice garden! What part of Spain are you in?

Thanks Rabbit, we are just south of Alicante close to Elche.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TropicalGardenSpain
4 hours ago, awkonradi said:

Agree.  Would love to know where in Spain!

Just south of Alicante, close to Elche 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
awkonradi
7 hours ago, TropicalGardenSpain said:

Just south of Alicante, close to Elche 

Wow, you must have a wonderful climate!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lzorrito

Hi! What a garden you have there! Congrats!

Your climate is similar to ours here in the south of Portugal. From what I see in the photos, you have lots of the palm trees that thrive in this climate, but you certainly may had a few more.... Can you post a list of those you have planted? Some are not easy to identify by the images. I think I saw an H. indica, on the 12th photo, but I'm not sure. This would make it easier to evaluate other candidates. What's your water availability?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TropicalGardenSpain
6 hours ago, lzorrito said:

Hi! What a garden you have there! Congrats!

Your climate is similar to ours here in the south of Portugal. From what I see in the photos, you have lots of the palm trees that thrive in this climate, but you certainly may had a few more.... Can you post a list of those you have planted? Some are not easy to identify by the images. I think I saw an H. indica, on the 12th photo, but I'm not sure. This would make it easier to evaluate other candidates. What's your water availability?

 

Thanks Izorrito!

I have a H.indica but I also lost 2 so I’m hoping 3rd time lucky! I’m trying at the moment Pinanga Kulhi and dypsis lastiliana which may or may not make it all the other palms I have are pretty much what all collectors would grow here. I’m going through the lists of what people grow in Cali.  Have you had any success with anything unusual? I’m going through my palms with pictures at the moment on Instagram. TropicalGardenSpain. 
 

have you got a thread on here with your garden? I would love to see it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lzorrito
12 hours ago, TropicalGardenSpain said:

Thanks Izorrito!

I have a H.indica but I also lost 2 so I’m hoping 3rd time lucky! I’m trying at the moment Pinanga Kulhi and dypsis lastiliana which may or may not make it all the other palms I have are pretty much what all collectors would grow here. I’m going through the lists of what people grow in Cali.  Have you had any success with anything unusual? I’m going through my palms with pictures at the moment on Instagram. TropicalGardenSpain. 
 

have you got a thread on here with your garden? I would love to see it.

You're welcome!

All my palms are potted, I don't have a garden, only a sunny patio facing south. As for unusual, I'm growing: Latania lontaroides; Veitchia spiralis; Gaussia maya; Gaussia Gomez-Pompae; Carpentaria acuminata; Dypsis fibrosa; Dictyosperma album var. rubrum. Also growing some Chamaedorea Sps with success: elegans; ernesti-augusti; hooperiana; metallica; microspadix; pochutlensis; radicalis; radicalis arborescent; sartori; seifrizii.

H. indica goes great for me, it´s my fastest palm, H.  verschaffeltii also does very well. Ravenea rivularis also does fine. Arenga engleri does fine too, even in full sun. Had no luck with Dypsis lasteliana, our dry hot summer and high UV were too much for it, even in half shade under canopy. Also growing Dypsis lanceolata, but it's very marginal, somewhat sensitive for our climate.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Antti

Absolutely beautiful garden! Very impressed! And very promicing future, please share it with us! 

2 Izorrito: what the fastest palm you have in your collection? Some King's?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lzorrito
23 minutes ago, Antti said:

2 Izorrito: what the fastest palm you have in your collection? Some King's?

@Antti, my fastest palm are: Hyophorbe indica (by far, it grew form 40cm to 1.80m in 6 months), followed by A. alexandrae; Ravenea rivularis, and C. Seifrizii.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
donalt

absolutely gorgeous garden ! the backdrop of surrounding area is also spectacular, so the entire view is like a surreal painting !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TropicalGardenSpain
1 hour ago, donalt said:

absolutely gorgeous garden ! the backdrop of surrounding area is also spectacular, so the entire view is like a surreal painting !

Thanks Donalt! We love having the mountains behind us always changing colours :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TropicalGardenSpain
5 hours ago, lzorrito said:

You're welcome!

All my palms are potted, I don't have a garden, only a sunny patio facing south. As for unusual, I'm growing: Latania lontaroides; Veitchia spiralis; Gaussia maya; Gaussia Gomez-Pompae; Carpentaria acuminata; Dypsis fibrosa; Dictyosperma album var. rubrum. Also growing some Chamaedorea Sps with success: elegans; ernesti-augusti; hooperiana; metallica; microspadix; pochutlensis; radicalis; radicalis arborescent; sartori; seifrizii.

H. indica goes great for me, it´s my fastest palm, H.  verschaffeltii also does very well. Ravenea rivularis also does fine. Arenga engleri does fine too, even in full sun. Had no luck with Dypsis lasteliana, our dry hot summer and high UV were too much for it, even in half shade under canopy. Also growing Dypsis lanceolata, but it's very marginal, somewhat sensitive for our climate.

 

Thats a really cool list, I'm growing a few of those too and also have some small ones in pots. Do you think you will move one day and plant them in the ground or just enjoy them in pots? Its pretty good because you can bring them in if its windy! Most of the damage we get here is from strong winds this time of year. We actually has winds today and tomorrow and I am hoping thats it for a while. Its not so bad when its warmed as the palms are active and growing. My vietchias look tatty at the moment! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lzorrito
36 minutes ago, TropicalGardenSpain said:

Thats a really cool list, I'm growing a few of those too and also have some small ones in pots. Do you think you will move one day and plant them in the ground or just enjoy them in pots? Its pretty good because you can bring them in if its windy! Most of the damage we get here is from strong winds this time of year. We actually has winds today and tomorrow and I am hoping thats it for a while. Its not so bad when its warmed as the palms are active and growing. My vietchias look tatty at the moment! 

Yes in fact, I plan one day to move and plant all so I may enjoy them in their fullness. I'm also growing other species besides those I mentioned, some from seed. I have placed the pots strategically in sheltered spots around the patio, in order to give the plants has much protection as needed. I'm attaching some photos, just taken. I also try to keep the pots as tight as possible, placing the heaviest on the outside of the "bubble". Some, like the tallest C. seifrizii, are in clay pots, heavier and steadier, check the 1st photo. The patio is south facing, wall protected from N, E and W winds, but vulnarable to NW, SW and S strong winds. We are just now facing some NW strong winds now, and 19ºC. On early January I had to move some palms inside, not due to wind, but due to low temps that reached nearly 0ºC. Half of the palms, the most sensitive ones, are under the patio's pergola, that provides considerable protection. Veitchia are really sensitive in our climate, they need lots of protection durring the cool season. Mine (still a seedling) is under heavy canopy and sheltered by walls. Yours will for sure recorer has soon as temps rise.

IMG_20210130_155715.jpg

IMG_20210130_155752.jpg

IMG_20210130_155824.jpg

IMG_20210130_155903.jpg

IMG_20210130_155943.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TropicalGardenSpain
4 hours ago, lzorrito said:

Yes in fact, I plan one day to move and plant all so I may enjoy them in their fullness. I'm also growing other species besides those I mentioned, some from seed. I have placed the pots strategically in sheltered spots around the patio, in order to give the plants has much protection as needed. I'm attaching some photos, just taken. I also try to keep the pots as tight as possible, placing the heaviest on the outside of the "bubble". Some, like the tallest C. seifrizii, are in clay pots, heavier and steadier, check the 1st photo. The patio is south facing, wall protected from N, E and W winds, but vulnarable to NW, SW and S strong winds. We are just now facing some NW strong winds now, and 19ºC. On early January I had to move some palms inside, not due to wind, but due to low temps that reached nearly 0ºC. Half of the palms, the most sensitive ones, are under the patio's pergola, that provides considerable protection. Veitchia are really sensitive in our climate, they need lots of protection durring the cool season. Mine (still a seedling) is under heavy canopy and sheltered by walls. Yours will for sure recorer has soon as temps rise.

IMG_20210130_155715.jpg

IMG_20210130_155752.jpg

IMG_20210130_155824.jpg

IMG_20210130_155903.jpg

IMG_20210130_155943.jpg

Very nice collection! Also nice to be able to move them round depending on size to enjoy them all! Do you get your palms local or have any good online sites? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lzorrito
50 minutes ago, TropicalGardenSpain said:

Very nice collection! Also nice to be able to move them round depending on size to enjoy them all! Do you get your palms local or have any good online sites?

Thanks!  Yes, I do move them a lot, according to their sizes and needs, or even for aesthetic matters. I also take advantage of being able to create a fast canopy for the understory palms. About half of my palms are from a local grower, the other half, the more "unusual", are from reliable online sites. One of the grower/seller is located near you, near Murcia. It's not easy to get "unusual" palms around here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TropicalGardenSpain
10 hours ago, lzorrito said:

Thanks!  Yes, I do move them a lot, according to their sizes and needs, or even for aesthetic matters. I also take advantage of being able to create a fast canopy for the understory palms. About half of my palms are from a local grower, the other half, the more "unusual", are from reliable online sites. One of the grower/seller is located near you, near Murcia. It's not easy to get "unusual" palms around here.

Miguel ay baby palms? I usually go and see what he was around this time of year but can’t at the moment. He also dropped me some palms off last year and had a look round the garden. He’s got a great selection and he’s expanding now so has big palms for sale. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alicante
On 1/28/2021 at 5:24 PM, TropicalGardenSpain said:

Hi everyone, I’ve been here a while but never posted much just taking advice from posts and admiring other gardens and palm collections! I’ve been working on my garden now for 4 years, when we purchased the property it was full of dead almond trees and we had to get a tractor in to clear the plot and access the house. It’s still very young garden and being so big it takes some doing but I’m hoping it will start to fill in as it matures. I thought I would load some photos as it is now. If you would like to see the progress I have an Instagram account dedicated to gardening which is TropicalGardenSpain.  

Would love people to comment what palms I am missing here! Climate zone 10a we don’t have frosts but temperatures can drop briefly to 0c for an hour or 2 coldest nights in winter but days can be up to 15-20c and we have dry winters and summers. Watering the garden and keeping on top of it is the toughest jobs and one I will be tackling this year!

Oh my! Your collection is astonishingly beautiful. After Málaga, the area around Alicante is most likely to be the best area to grow tropicals in Europe for its constant winter warmth and because it also warms up quickly in March (most Med climates do it in mid-late April) so keep up the good work. I guess your palms enjoyed the warm temps we've had this week! 

Your Chambeyronia looks fantastic, do you have any "bird of paradise" (Strelitzia Reginae) and Papayas in your garden? They also do it fantastically in this climate. :greenthumb:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lzorrito
32 minutes ago, TropicalGardenSpain said:

Miguel ay baby palms? I usually go and see what he was around this time of year but can’t at the moment. He also dropped me some palms off last year and had a look round the garden. He’s got a great selection and he’s expanding now so has big palms for sale. 

Exactly, Miguel from Babypalms. I agree, he has a good selection. He now has some fine Beccariophoenix alfredii and Hyophorbe verschaffeltii 4-5 group grown, with a good size, and fine price (value for money). The problem, for me, are the shipping costs, almost doubles the price.

You have some other good growers/sellers nearby, don't you?

I also buy from other spanish grower, near Valencia, and from a German grower, but from these I mainly buy small seedlings.

I'm curious, have you tried Phoenix rupicola?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TropicalGardenSpain
11 hours ago, Alicante said:

Oh my! Your collection is astonishingly beautiful. After Málaga, the area around Alicante is most likely to be the best area to grow tropicals in Europe for its constant winter warmth and because it also warms up quickly in March (most Med climates do it in mid-late April) so keep up the good work. I guess your palms enjoyed the warm temps we've had this week! 

Your Chambeyronia looks fantastic, do you have any "bird of paradise" (Strelitzia Reginae) and Papayas in your garden? They also do it fantastically in this climate. :greenthumb:

Thanks Alicante, it’s sure is a great climate just these winter winds we could do without but we can’t have it all can we lol. Yes I have plenty of bird of paradise around the garden and 2 papaya which give lots of fruit. Are you growing many palms at your place? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TropicalGardenSpain
11 hours ago, lzorrito said:

Exactly, Miguel from Babypalms. I agree, he has a good selection. He now has some fine Beccariophoenix alfredii and Hyophorbe verschaffeltii 4-5 group grown, with a good size, and fine price (value for money). The problem, for me, are the shipping costs, almost doubles the price.

You have some other good growers/sellers nearby, don't you?

I also buy from other spanish grower, near Valencia, and from a German grower, but from these I mainly buy small seedlings.

I'm curious, have you tried Phoenix rupicola?

No, I’ve not managed to find a decent size one but I would like to own one. Yes a couple of other sellers but mainly for seeds and a guy in florida for seedlings although shipping is risky. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lzorrito
11 hours ago, TropicalGardenSpain said:

No, I’ve not managed to find a decent size one but I would like to own one. Yes a couple of other sellers but mainly for seeds and a guy in florida for seedlings although shipping is risky. 

Good size P. rupicola are hard to find. They grow slowly when compared to other Phoenix Sps. I think that will be a good addition to your garden. Miguel had a few some months ago, not good size, but pretty viable for planting. They do fine in our climate when well watered and feed. Mine is getting along...very slowly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • climate change virginia
      By climate change virginia
      Hi is there a hardy alternative to bottle palms that can survive in zone 8a I don't care about the leaves the leaves can be pinnate palmate either one is fine. Thanks. 
    • climate change virginia
      By climate change virginia
      Requirements Zone has to be tolerable of 7b or 8a either one is fine (Does NOT have to be feather palm), Has to have a nice amount trunk. Thanks.
    • climate change virginia
      By climate change virginia
      Hey I was wondering if there was a VERY HARDY alternative to the royal palm, queen palm, coconut palm, or foxtail palm that is fast growing, self seeds like a Washingtonia, and can take temps down to 7-10f. Requirements must be pinnate/feather leaf, grows to around 30-50 feet, slim trunk, preferably easy root system, and NON CLUMPING. I prefer feather over fan but that's my opinion all plants are beautiful. One more thing must be able to take 10f with minimal damage. Don't tell me a pindo those things take forever to grow. We are technically zone 7 but we haven't gone below 10f since the artic blast of 2013-2014. Thanks.
    • UK_Palms
      By UK_Palms
      I went to Kew Gardens for my birthday on Tuesday 22nd September. 
      A great chance to check out the gardens and the fantastic glass houses, of which several were unfortunately closed due to the pandemic. Nonetheless, plenty of palms and exhibits were still on display and in their full glory on a beautiful sunny autumn/fall day here at 51N in southeastern England. The air temperature was around 27C / 80F at the time of visiting. Conditions are very dry at present as we have had no rainfall at all during September so far, and only around 4-5 inches of rain over the past 6 months, since 1st March. 
      Here is a photo-documentation of the gardens, glass houses and the various palms located within. The first of several posts...


















       
      Unfortunately some of the attractions and glass houses were closed due to the pandemic, although the main couple were still open. Please excuse me for not naming each palm individually...



















      Crossing on to the temperate glass house...













































       
      More to follow...
       
       
    • Moose
      By Moose
      Copernicia hospita (25 years planted) center

×
×
  • Create New...